Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2022, 12:32   #1

Water Tank transmitter

Hello CF,

After fixing fixing a recent electrical issue, I am now looking to fix all the aftermath.
My question: Does anyone know the location of of the Water tank level sending unit (transmitter)?
My water tank levels no longer indicate correctly (both port and stbd). I have concluded that the actual sensors seem to work correctly so looking for the next item in common. The back story: I recently had a MPPT controller go bad and instead of stopping voltage it allowed full voltage to pass to the DC system. Basically everything DC powered that was "on" during this time has burnt up. After replacing the MPPT and many of the other "burnt" components the last item to fix is the water tank level indicators.

Thanks for the help,
R.A.Y.
R.A.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Re: Water Tank transmitter

R.A.Y.,

It depends on the system used. Many transmitters are mounted in the tank and use a float to indicate level. Other systems use strips attached to the side of the tank to indicate levels. Check the top of the tank for a flange with 2 wires attached or look for thin strips attached to the side of the tank. The latter method with the strips need to be programmed when first installed or when the system looses power.

Capt Clark
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 13:36   #3

Thanks Capt Clark,
You are correct. I have sensors that are mounted in the tank. To be more specific what I am looking for is the location of the "device" (I believe it is a transmitter of some kind) that converts the analog signal from the individual sensors to a digital signal for the indicator.

My current issue is that when I had my electrical issue, what ever the qty level was at that time seems to be the new full indication. Basically with both port & stbd tanks full I am indicating port @ 1/4 and stbd @ 1/2. They indications remain at these levels until the tanks respectively hit those levels and then decrease from there. Currently they do not indicate above those levels regardless.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

R.A.Y.
Old 18-07-2022, 03:30   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450S

On an original Lagoon 450 the sensors are wired to the VDO panel, which interprets the signal and provides a level indication. The VDO display might need to be reset or replaced to indicate and accurate reading. There is no "sender" between the VDO and the sensor - just wire.

Disconnect and reconnect the power from the VDO to reset it.

I placed the VDO manual in the Files section.
geekoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 04:15   #5

Interesting and thank you I will try the reset....
Old 18-07-2022, 09:31   #6

Geekoman,

I found the VDO link in the files section but I can't download any way you can send me directly?

Thanks RAY (svray450@gmail.com)

Tags
water