Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2011, 18:20   #1

Post Tacktick Hull Transmitter Problem

Hi All

I have jsut gotten a small racing sailboat. It has included a tacktick racemaster system.
Unfortunately the system isnt working well, only the display unit works fine,(acts as a standalone unit)
however i cannot connect it to the hull transmitter (I have followed all the instructions in the booklet)
question is how to see if the hull transmitter is still alive, what to do? (volatage check, LED lights? others) I was reading that the battery might be flat (the unit was not used foe a year or so and nicely covered with the cover, so no chargning i guess)

any input would is appreciated

thanks
domsin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 22:51   #2

Boat: Niagara 35
Is this a wireless display unit? The hull transmitter needs 12 volts. If the wireless, solar display was powered down for an extended period, you may need to reintroduce it to the hull transmitter. There is a simple method in the manual. What are the symptoms that suggest to you that the hull transmitter is not functioning?
Old 30-07-2011, 23:02   #3

Re: Tacktick Hull Transmitter Problem

Hi cwyckham
yes I am using the Racemaster T113 unit with an T121 solar powered hull transmitter

the Hull transmitter is connected to the an external solar panel (which was giving ~9.3V)
I have tried running the auto networking method, but nothing is found. so it seems like the hull transmitter is not transmitting any signal. (it seems very dead , no led, no sound, what should be the voltages at the pins to check it is alive?
is it possible that the batteries are too empty to charge?

i guess there is also an option that my depth and speed transducer are not aworking and hence the hull transmitter doies not show any reading?
Old 30-07-2011, 23:58   #4

Boat: Niagara 35
If the transducers were dead but the transmitter was alive, then the transmitter would add to the network fine and if you went into the health screen on the display you would see a signal strength. You'd just get zeros for the data.

I think you are on the right track with making sure it has power. My hull transmitter is different, so I can't tell you the voltage you should be seeing. is the battery replaceable?

Tacktick support by email is amazing. If you do have a failed non-replaceable battery they will likely send a new unit for a big discount even if it died due to neglect. Try them out.
Old 02-08-2011, 17:50   #5

Re: Tacktick Hull Transmitter Problem

I have wriiten in over the online help form, but no reply still.
fo you have anyone (with email) whome I can contact?

thanks!