Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 00:52   #31

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: TPI Lagoon 42

Doris, I saw your ad. You only have about 30 minutes to edit the text in your post and then after that it is there forever. I'm not sure if you can add pics within that 30 mins. But you can always put a new post with more pics there in that thread if you want.

Nice boat and certainly just about the best L42 out there. Good Luck.

Edit: Technically you didn't post your boat in this forum which is the Lagoons forum, it is in the Boats for Sale Classifieds forum which is where it should be. And if you are editing your post as I am now if you tap the Go Advanced tab then you can add or delete pics. But just for 30 minutes!
Old 17-02-2015, 10:50   #32

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Duefocena is hull #50 built in 1993 ( According to the Jenneau Plate at the helm). Measured at the saloon entrance 76" and at the galleys lowest point 75" but the actual headroom in the galley where one would stand at the basins is over 80".
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 16:39   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I'm drawn to the TPI 42 for a variety of reasons. Low price being one.
1. Good bridgedeck clearance. Does anyone actually know what this measures?
2. Slimmer hulls. Any actual data. Hull Fineness, etc.
3. Performance? SA/D with real world numbers. Not just reading (fictional) displacement off web. Anybody actually weigh one and with what level of equipment?
4. Were all the 42s TPIs?
5. Anything else? Did I miss something? Something to look out for?

I researched the other threads and found good information but not these specifics. BOB
I have a Lagoon 42 TPI (formerly known as Ushuaia) known as Departure. I have a 10 foot Highfield dinghy with 15hp Yamaha 2-stroke. I have 2" clearance above the motor head under the bridgedeck. I have to duck, but backed into a marina slip, I have no problems lowering my dinghy and pulling myself under the boat. I usually start it on the other side. But when I come back I just kill the engine coming up to the tramps and float into the dock. Lol. Never heard a slap except for some really rough cross waves.
sarisdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 16:52   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Doris, I saw your ad. You only have about 30 minutes to edit the text in your post and then after that it is there forever. I'm not sure if you can add pics within that 30 mins. But you can always put a new post with more pics there in that thread if you want.

Nice boat and certainly just about the best L42 out there. Good Luck.

Edit: Technically you didn't post your boat in this forum which is the Lagoons forum, it is in the Boats for Sale Classifieds forum which is where it should be. And if you are editing your post as I am now if you tap the Go Advanced tab then you can add or delete pics. But just for fun 30 minutes!
Check out the Facebook group "Lagoon Owners" there are plenty of TPI owners on there.
Old 21-08-2015, 17:02   #35

Also..... I am 6'3" and my wife is 6'. We walk around comfortably on the boat and only I duck to enter the sliding door.
Old 21-08-2015, 18:21   #36

I had the 42 TPI. Great boat. Sails well, doesn't slap much, davits worked great for a 10 ft double floor RIB and 15 HP motor. Shaft drive engines too rather than sail drive. TPI made them but the French did also. I've seen core issues in a French made one. The Mare lon seacocks will likely need replaced. Watch the rudders for water ingress. The foam backed vinyl used on the overhead degrades, it's a huge messy job to replace it all if it hasn't been already done. Basically a great boat though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 18:41   #37

The foam ceiling is one of my next projects. They have this FRP board at home Depot.. I plan on replacing foam with an insulation and putting on the FRP in strips with 1" vinyl strips to cover the joints.
Old 22-08-2015, 10:10   #38

I didn't do all of mine, but the sections I did I just pulled the vinyl down and rubbed/vacuumed all the crumbly thin foam off and then glued it back up. It was messy but it worked pretty well. Any lumps or bumps show a bit more thru the vinyl with the foam gone though, but not that bad. Much of mine seemed to still be good, I think the areas affected by deck heat were worse.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 13:49   #39

Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI - Lucey Blue

Lucey Blue had all the internal vinyl professionally replaced in 2005 by a previous owner. However, there are a few patches that may need to be re-glued in the next few years - largely on the strip with the port lights in the rear cabins.
The list of jobs never truely ends on a boat.

Good luck with your renovation...
Old 16-03-2019, 22:51   #40

Boat: 1996 42ft lagoon TPI

Hello everyone, my names Jason and I own a 1996 42 lagoon TPI out in Hawaii. I’m on a search to find any structural drawing information, wiring diagrams, and pretty much any drawings on the 42 lagoon TPI other than owners manuals. TPI and lagoon no longer have anything dating back to this boat. I’m would greatly appreciate any info or direction to find this info.
Punawelewele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 16:27   #41

Boat: Lagoon TPI 42

Does anyone have an original builder's certificate from TPI? please send me a private message!
mifi601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:41   #42

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Since this thread has been revived, we own a 1992 owners version called "Purrfect" formerly called Ushuaia.
We are very happy with it, performance and comfort wise.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 15:50   #43

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I worked at TPI. They were very carefully constructed. I don’t remember exactly why the foam was used. Every inch of balsa was clean and dry. All the resin was tested. They were very well built boats. I never saw any shortcuts during construction. The guys that built them were great builders...any mistakes were corrected and set right. They were very proud of their workmanship.
I don’t care for catamarans but these boats were very strong and seriously well built by truly professional guys.
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his manatee crew ... professional yacht builders
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 13:32   #44

Boat: 1992 Lagoon 42 TPI

Hi all,

Good to see this thread has been revived again, not too many threads out there with 42 TPI information. There is a fairly active Facebook group "Jeanneau Lagoon Catamarans 1987-1996" which covers all the old Lagoons, i have had some good advice on there.

Some info about my boat, 1992 42 ft TPI named freebird. We are based up on the Chesapeake bay. We love the boat and it sails beautifully. I upgraded the Main and Jib to expedition membranes by Evolution Sails, added a 5ft Bowsprit and Code Zero. I find she comfortably sails at 8 knots in 12 knots on the beam and with the new sails which are so much lighter than the old Mack Sails canvas she will sail all the way down to 2-3 knots of breeze without an issue. Changing out the boom for a new canoe style next month with single line reefing lead back to the cockpit and going to pick up a parasailer at some point.

On the clearance, i sailed up the Chesapeake into 30knots and steep seas and the movement was very comfortable with minimal slamming even at 60degrees to the wind. I can also fit my dinghy an OCTender 300 with a 9.9 yamaha under from the dock but like others i do need to lay down.

I have sailed with a very experience delivery captain who has logged countless hours on modern lagoons, leopards and FPs and says they are not a patch on this old lagoon for sailing ability. He says it sails more like a performance cat than production cat (you have to remember she weighs the same as a Catana 431). I have sailed on the Seawind 1260 and she sails as well and also doesn't bounce around as much. Just remember she is keeled and not dagger boards so not out and out performance but the depth of the keels and the slimmness of the hulls means she moves through the water very well and points nicely.

Hulls are narrow compared with modern production cats but still enough for the rear births to be nearly queen size. I am currently in the process of converting her from 4 cabin to three cabin and moving the starboard head forward.

As per the comments earlier i did swap out all of the old seacocks, the original ones were going string after nearly 30 years, but i feel more comfortable replacing them with some new bronze ones.

I agree with the comment on the davits, i am not keen on how low they ride so am having a new aluminum solar arch built with integral davits.

Have fun out there
joe_goodgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 18:47   #45

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_goodgame View Post
Hi all,

Good to see this thread has been revived again, not too many threads out there with 42 TPI information. There is a fairly active Facebook group "Jeanneau Lagoon Catamarans 1987-1996" which covers all the old Lagoons, i have had some good advice on there.

Some info about my boat, 1992 42 ft TPI named freebird. We are based up on the Chesapeake bay. We love the boat and it sails beautifully. I upgraded the Main and Jib to expedition membranes by Evolution Sails, added a 5ft Bowsprit and Code Zero. I find she comfortably sails at 8 knots in 12 knots on the beam and with the new sails which are so much lighter than the old Mack Sails canvas she will sail all the way down to 2-3 knots of breeze without an issue. Changing out the boom for a new canoe style next month with single line reefing lead back to the cockpit and going to pick up a parasailer at some point.

On the clearance, i sailed up the Chesapeake into 30knots and steep seas and the movement was very comfortable with minimal slamming even at 60degrees to the wind. I can also fit my dinghy an OCTender 300 with a 9.9 yamaha under from the dock but like others i do need to lay down.

I have sailed with a very experience delivery captain who has logged countless hours on modern lagoons, leopards and FPs and says they are not a patch on this old lagoon for sailing ability. He says it sails more like a performance cat than production cat (you have to remember she weighs the same as a Catana 431). I have sailed on the Seawind 1260 and she sails as well and also doesn't bounce around as much. Just remember she is keeled and not dagger boards so not out and out performance but the depth of the keels and the slimmness of the hulls means she moves through the water very well and points nicely.

Hulls are narrow compared with modern production cats but still enough for the rear births to be nearly queen size. I am currently in the process of converting her from 4 cabin to three cabin and moving the starboard head forward.

As per the comments earlier i did swap out all of the old seacocks, the original ones were going string after nearly 30 years, but i feel more comfortable replacing them with some new bronze ones.

I agree with the comment on the davits, i am not keen on how low they ride so am having a new aluminum solar arch built with integral davits.

Have fun out there
I beleive I was just chatting with you via email. We have a new mainsail ordered from evolution sails in deltaville as well. And a rigid vang from the same rigger you used.
We have an owners version if you are wanting any ideas on layout for your conversion.
Also for any other owners... we just had windows remade by Gustaffson plastics in saint augustine. Very reasonable price, and we left our old ones as templates for future use. We also are installing a hard top right now. Dedicated marine supplied a 2 piece one stock from the lagoon 380 that fits very close.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210616_144447.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	240847
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon