Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 19:24   #16

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Refrigeration Options

Hi, yes, I sell fridge units (Ozefridge).
However, If I were you, before spending any serious money, I'd find out what's wrong with the existing unit/s first. I presume that, from your description they are driven by compressor, which is belt driven off the motor. If they are low on gas, they won't function correctly.
If the refrigerant is damp, low, dirty, the compressor is worn, faulty, or the pressure switches are faulty, the insulation is wet, thin or not suitable you'll have problems. Yes that's quite a few things, but they are easily checked. Is there a sight glass? Does it stay full once operating, or is it full of bubbles or empty?
If you really want to get away from engine drive, have a look HERE.
I'm happy to answer any questions, about any system. Although I cannot understand the comment above about heating 700 ltrs of water even a noticeable amount - that is a HUGE amount of energy!
Cheers
Old 29-01-2014, 20:07   #17

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Just looking briefly at the numbers, to heat 700ltrs of water by a noticeable amount (5 deg C) is about 13,860 BTU - 12,000 Btu/h is required to make one ton of ice in one day. I'm sure that freezer did not heat the water in an hour, but that is a hell of a lot of power! I really can't see how it could happen unless on shore power...
Our Ozefridge system does a large freezer and fridge (290 ltrs each from memory), and does not make a noticeable difference to the water temp in our tanks....
Old 30-01-2014, 16:31   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Just looking briefly at the numbers, to heat 700ltrs of water by a noticeable amount (5 deg C) is about 13,860 BTU - 12,000 Btu/h is required to make one ton of ice in one day. I'm sure that freezer did not heat the water in an hour, but that is a hell of a lot of power! I really can't see how it could happen unless on shore power...
Our Ozefridge system does a large freezer and fridge (290 ltrs each from memory), and does not make a noticeable difference to the water temp in our tanks....
We were on the hard in a boatyard for 8 months ion the tropics. Tried the fresh water tank system for about a month..... Yes to shorepower.. The old compressor ran r12 with a 3/4 horse electric motor and had poor insulation ! Always needed to run the gen....
Old 30-01-2014, 17:14   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Fan cooling works but personally I don't like adding heat to the interior. I would avoid pumped seawater cooling - it can have problems and requires maintenance. I had an Isotherm system with water cooling and it was a nightmare - they did improve the design somewhat (no use to me) but still flawed. I think the way to go is a refrigerant keel cooler (condenser). If done properly they are made of cupro-nickel or quality bronze and are quite durable. The flow of refrigerant by the compressor is all that is needed - no water pump needed with its noise and energy use. I do have a concern with these systems that are located inside thru-hulls that are also used for gray- or black-water discharge; cleaning the coils would be a huge PITA.

I had a custom keel cooler made in Marmaris, Turkey in 2006 and it is still going strong. I painted it with bottom paint originally and it stays on without fouling or other problem.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 17:54   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
emmalina -

bit of confusion. adler barbour makes the coldmachine and supercoldmachine. the link below will show them. but adler barbour is owned by waeco, so probably the cause of confusion. on the other hand, i notice you're in the uk and i'm in the states so it's possible they're marketed differently on your side of the pond. over here your unit is called the 'coolmatic'.

the coldmachine and supercoldmachine both use the bd-50. the super coldmachine can use either/both air and water cooling, although the water cooled part is only meant to be supplementary to the air cooling. we cruise florida/bahamas and have never felt the need to add the water cooling - air cooling does just fine.

Defender.com Search Results: coldmachine: $600 - $1400
Think its down to model numbers and price.. We got two compressors and 2 evaporator plates for about 1300USD so its a strange marketing technique they have. Defender is generally cheap but not if suppliers have made up the prices. We shop around continents when buying we are not proud :-)
Old 01-11-2014, 16:11   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

My experience with refrigeration, (I have a huge fridge and two freezers), I livaboard and they are on 24/7, 365
NO water cooled units they are not necessary and add more problems.
Dometic/waeco are rubbish.
Frigaboat is best, Sea Frost is second best.
make sure that the brand you buy has the quick connect REUSABLE fittings.
The ambient temp where you mount the unit is well ventilated, do not cook the compressor.
The most important, often overlooked part of the refrigeration equation is the quality and quantity of insulation in the box or refrigerator. How well the unit is insulated determines the lifespan of your compressor and batteries as well.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 16:42   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
My experience with refrigeration, (I have a huge fridge and two freezers), I livaboard and they are on 24/7, 365
Frigaboat is best, Sea Frost is second best.
make sure that the brand you buy has the quick connect REUSABLE fittings.
The ambient temp where you mount the unit is well ventilated, do not cook the compressor.
The most important, often overlooked part of the refrigeration equation is the quality and quantity of insulation in the box or refrigerator. How well the unit is insulated determines the lifespan of your compressor and batteries as well.
And what compressors do they use ? Danfoss same as everybody else
Old 01-11-2014, 18:54   #23

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
No water cooled units. Agree.
Waeco rubbish. Disagree. My Adler Barbour is Waeco and has worked flawlessly for ten years. My neighbors AB ran more than twenty years before it died.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 00:05   #24

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Can we please distinguish between water cooled units that pump seawater through a condenser inside the boat and those that use a keel cooler where only the refrigerant is pumped? The pumped seawater units have a deservedly bad reputation, while keel coolers can work great. I say "can" because the Frigoboat ones have a history of corrosion (possibly due to bad wiring causing electrolysis) and I have my doubts about the Isotherm unit with the coils inside the sink thru-hull (try cleaning those coils!).

The quick connectors are a mixed blessing: they are a common cause of refrigerant leaks. Technicians frequently remove them and put a solder joint in place when they suspect a leak. If you have them then make sure the mating surfaces are perfectly clean before assembly.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 10:37   #25

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I know a company up here in Canada bringing a new marine refrigeration system to market soon . They will be at the spring boat show in April .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 21:35   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
The Cold Machine uses the BD50 compressor, not the BD35.

I also got rid of my engine drive system and replaced it with an adler barbour super cold machine ten years ago - no regrets. I use it only as air cooled in florida/bahamas, although it can also be rigged for water cooling.
Strange as I read on the side BD35F
Waeco CU-54 Series 50 Compressor Force 4 Chandlery
Old 21-12-2016, 09:50   #27

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Strange as I read on the side BD35F
Waeco CU-54 Series 50 Compressor Force 4 Chandlery

Oh . That's a bad design . No cooling for the compressor or electronics . I friend of mine has one and you could not hold your hand on the compressor , it was that hot . Thermal laser temp gauge showed it to be 160 F ! I told home to rig a fan on it triggered by a snap thermostat attached to the compressor . Temps went down to 130 F , much better . Electronics where much cooler as well . That will help extend the life of the system .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration