Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 03:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
New Hard Top for 410

After 4 years of working on this project with Dedicated Marine I have one of the first Bimini Hardtops produced and all I can say it looks fantastic. Walking on the top is no longer an issue that was down right dangerous with a rag top, access to the boom is easy and now there is additional space to place solar panels which DM offers as a package as well.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 S2E
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:35   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: New Hard Top for 410

Hi Steve,
congratulations. After all the hard work that went into the design and installation it must be very pleasing to see the end result.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:48   #3

Thanks Greg, We had the top on EG in under 30 minutes. Another 2 hours and it was bolted down and walking on it. DM used a new foam board that is stronger than balsa and lighter. 2 guys can move it but I had 3 for stability. It's in 2 pieces, port and starboard side, that bolts together at the center flange and pre drilled. Once the two are together, center on the frame and start installing the underside frame rail clamps. Very simple and quick to do. Not all frames will be exactly the same, More so in twisting or being bent over time but with the spacers provided it went smoothly. It didn't take Cindy the 2 hours into the install to ask about putting an enclosure on.

I should mention with some slight modifications to the molds it turns out that this top will fit the 380 as well. Chris at DM has already fabricated the mold mods and installed one on a test 380 in Florida.

The fact that Lagoon Owners have a manufacture that is willing to work this hard and provide such a great product is just fantastic. MD has been providing fly bridge tops for the bigger cats for a few years, the owners have been pleased with that option to make their lives more pleasant and now us smaller Cats have something to be proud of.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 S2E
Old 08-09-2015, 12:12   #4

Hi Steve,
The top looks great. Do you mind sharing the approximate cost? I am planning on adding a hardtop to a 380 in 2016.
CaptRDJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 16:21   #5

Captrdjr,
We have the dediczted marine top on our Lagoon 380 in Florida. We are very pleased with it; it offers great protection, a safe working platform, and an additional spot for sundowners! If you contact Chris through biminihardtop.com he'll respond right away.
Lucy, s/v Independence
Independence05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:26   #6

I believe the cost is right around $6k plus shipping. Well worth the price and I really mean no more than a few hours to install with 2 people. Came with all the hardware and I believe includes frame stiffening struts. We can't believe how much cooler it is under it as well as being able to walk on top of it. Solid as a rock!

Steve in Solomons MD
Old 03-05-2020, 06:23   #7

Boat: 41' Lagoon 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyprdrv View Post
I believe the cost is...
Steve in Solomons MD
I have a hard bimini on my 410 that looks like the same design... but it also seems like it was for a smaller boat? If you're sitting in the helm and it's raining, the water from the channel where the slide closes pours directly into your lap and only half of the instruments get shaded. Is that an issue with yours as well?
WanderIVth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:22   #8

WonderIVth,
Yes mine does the same thing. The issue is the original frame and clearance to get into the helm seat. Since I wanted to use the original frame the size was pretty much fixed. The soft top had the same issues. The solution is an enclosure section (we are working on that this Pandemic) so the front corners are weather protected. This isn't as much an issue with the 380 top but would require an extensive mod to the hardtop to fix on the 410. The front corners are the only place where the water issue occurs. It was still worth every penny for the hardtop even with this minor issue.
As a side note you probably have the "out riggers" at the rear corners. Note on the last picture the rear "ladder" frame I had made and welded on. Works like a champ. It also gives me access to the end of the boom from below.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 S2E
Old 03-05-2020, 10:33   #9

Quote:
The solution is an enclosure section.
Good to know it's not just us. We'll also be working on an enclosure for ours. It had a sort of... well... makeshift one when we got it. Some of it was okay (snaps on the hull) some was less okay (fit in track along the bimini that's coming apart due to it being all plastic) and some was just awful (literally clamps holding it on). We were thinking of doing those little buckles like you have on sail bags to hold it to the internal side of the bimini and maybe reusing the snaps on the hull.
Old 03-05-2020, 13:07   #10

Let me suggest what we did with the wind screen. We attached it by rapping the Bimini frame tubing with the fabric and velcrode (sp) it. We are going to do the same at the external tubing around the top with the enclosure. That way the overhang of the hardtop acts as a drip rail. It's worked perfectly with the windscreen, not a drop of water has gotten in from the front. I haven't decided what to do with the bottom edge, I hate any type of screw on device, but haven't looked into it at this point.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 S2E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HELM SHOT.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	214306  
Old 03-05-2020, 13:15   #11

Quote:
Let me suggest what we did with the wind screen.
I like that a lot!