Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 06:42   #31

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: Lagoon Escape Hatches Falling Out

Where to go from here?

We have a 2009 Lagoon 420 hull number 161. Contacted via email
(c.pocreau@beneteau.fr) and was informed that only boats after hull no. 173 are affected. Yet in this forum a 2008 Lagoon 420 was definitely affected.

Our boat has already lost the forward berth “window” while underway and not sure having a plywood cover for escape hatches could be installed quick enough.

Jay
SV Bonanza
Lostriverj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:12   #32

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Lagoon Escape Hatches Falling Out

Not exactly sure what your hatch looks like, but the lagoon fix for the glued on glass hatch is very simple. It is just two pieces of sheet aluminum with two 90 degree bends. It is screwed to the hull. Personally I would prefer a solution that put pressure on the glass rather than just a captive solution. Any gap will have lots of water pouring in.

I also doubt that plywood inside solution would work very well except in very calm water. Having experienced water shooting in from a small gap in the escape hatch, not sure I would count on unsealed plywood keep the ocean out enough for bilge pumps to keep up.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
I just had my life raft, that I thought was very secure, ripped out by the sea and lost.

Had a life raft fall out of an older leopard. We recovered the raft but with the bottom hatch gone any wave hitting the belly of the beast would launch an extraordinary amount of water into the cockpit.

I’d hate to see what a hatch closer to the water and able to flow into the vessel would do.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 19:06   #34

Exclamation Re: Lagoon Escape Hatches Falling Out

This is an urgent request for assistance. I am the 1st Assistant Engineer aboard R/V KILO MOANA operating approximately 1000NM south of Tahiti.

We are enroute to provide assistance to the crew of a 2007 Lagoon 420 (name is Thetis-catamaran.com) that has experienced an escape hatch failure and has taken on sufficient water to be at risk of sinking.

I am trying to confirm the dimensions of the escape hatch so I can build a cover for it tonight before we arrive on location tomorrow morning. One of the earlier posts in this thread gave hatch dimensions of 44cmx44cm square for a Lagoon 450. Is this applicable to the 420?

We would like to make every safe effort to safe their boat but will be evacuating the crew if required. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

V/R
Dan Race
1st Assistant Engineer - R/V Kilo Moana
1AE_Dan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 20:11   #35

Wondering if that gap could cause the tempered glass to shatter if it is dislodged, as mine were, from the aluminum frame
tinsoldier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 20:23   #36

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AE_Dan_R View Post

This is an urgent request for assistance. I am the 1st Assistant Engineer aboard R/V KILO MOANA operating approximately 1000NM south of Tahiti.

We are enroute to provide assistance to the crew of a 2007 Lagoon 420 (name is Thetis-catamaran.com) that has experienced an escape hatch failure and has taken on sufficient water to be at risk of sinking.

I am trying to confirm the dimensions of the escape hatch so I can build a cover for it tonight before we arrive on location tomorrow morning. One of the earlier posts in this thread gave hatch dimensions of 44cmx44cm square for a Lagoon 450. Is this applicable to the 420?
Are you able to make contact with any Lagoon dealers in Australia?
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 21:46   #37

Hopefully a Lagoon 420 owner of that year will reply soon!
A good guess:
Lagoon infamously sent recall notices (attached) with cheesy repair brackets to owners of some 440 and 420 regarding the escape hatch failing for certain model years.
It was a Goiot 49.42 hatch, which had a lens that could fall out. IF that is the culprit here (not sure), the dimensions are:

cutout: 488 mm x 390 mm
overall: 559 mm x 485 mm
cutout corners radius 52 mm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NOTE TECHNIQUE _ 19009.pdf (148.2 KB, 118 views)
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 22:03   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Are you able to make contact with any Lagoon dealers in Australia?

We got in touch with a dealer in NZ. We have a little conflicting information on hatch size, so have created a hatch cover for the larger size and will bring a saw with us tomorrow morning for final trim and fitting.
Old 21-11-2019, 03:06   #39

Boat: 450S

Well done Dan, I hope it works out ok.
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 03:13   #40

Boat: Valiant 40

I carry repair boards and battens with bolts for my cabin top hatches. Cant imagine not carrying them for a hatch upside down on the underside of the hull. [emoji51]
Old 21-11-2019, 16:30   #41

UPDATE- As of 1100 HST, 21Nov19 - Repairs complete and THETIS is safely on her way back to Tahiti. Thank you to those of you that provided information last night.

The hatch ended up being the square 44x44cm style. The patch we created last night passed through the opening nicely and seated firmly against the hull.

Of note - the vessel had already installed a plywood patch from the inside but were unable to completely stop water ingress due to a gap between the hull and the interior trim.

Our solution consisted of 2 sheets of 1/2" plywood, glued together and faced on the interior side with 1/4" rubber gasket material - measuring 22inx22in. Through this we passed 4 - 8" long 3/4" steel allthread rods attached to 2 steel strongbacks on the exterior side of plywood. The interior side was attached through 2 - 20" 2x4 pieces of lumber and flat washer, locking washer, and 3/4" hex nuts. The whole assembly was tightened using the nuts, achieving a complete seal between the plywood, rubber gasket, and hull.

I'll try to upload a photo when I return to port, our internet connection is a bit slow at sea and most of it is dedicated to the scientific operations.

Thanks for your assistance,
Dan Race
1AE RV KILO MOANA
Old 21-11-2019, 16:40   #42

Quote:
UPDATE- As of 1100 HST, 21Nov19 - Repairs complete and THETIS is safely on her way back to Tahiti. Thank you to those of you that provided information last night.

The hatch ended up being the square 44x44cm style. The patch we created last night passed through the opening nicely and seated firmly against the hull.

Of note - the vessel had already installed a plywood patch from the inside but were unable to completely stop water ingress due to a gap between the hull and the interior trim.

Our solution consisted of 2 sheets of 1/2" plywood, glued together and faced on the interior side with 1/4" rubber gasket material - measuring 22inx22in. Through this we passed 4 - 8" long 3/4" steel allthread rods attached to 2 steel strongbacks on the exterior side of plywood. The interior side was attached through 2 - 20" 2x4 pieces of lumber and flat washer, locking washer, and 3/4" hex nuts. The whole assembly was tightened using the nuts, achieving a complete seal between the plywood, rubber gasket, and hull.

I'll try to upload a photo when I return to port, our internet connection is a bit slow at sea and most of it is dedicated to the scientific operations.

Dan Race
1AE RV KILO MOANA
That's great news, Dan. Well done!
I think we would all be interested in more details after you return to port.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 17:50   #43

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Very nice job! I'm sure folks would love to see photos
Quote:

Dan Race
1AE RV KILO MOANA
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 06:21   #44

Quote:
UPDATE- As of 1100 HST, 21Nov19 - Repairs complete and THETIS is safely on her way back to Tahiti. Thank you to those of you that provided information last night....

The scientists are asleep so our bandwidth is better. Photos as promised. The steel flat stock in the "outside photo" came out of our scrap bin which is why they are 2 different sizes. Looks funny, but very solid. The thin one on the right of photo is 1/4"x1.5" and the one on the left is 1/8"x3":
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hull patch drawing-small.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	203538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside photo - small.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	203539  

Click image for larger version

Name:	outside photo - small.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	203540  
Old 22-11-2019, 06:37   #45

^^ very nice temporary repair. And absolutely wonderful of you all to help out. Real seamen are awesome people

I have to say this failure, and Lagoons response is a bit astonishing. This is a MAJOR safety problem. All these boats should be “grounded” (not go to sea) and inspected (on Lagoon’s dime) and a proper solution created (and not the most inexpensive possible little aluminum L brackets which don’t even clamp the glass).
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape hatches, hatch, lagoon