Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2019, 05:47   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Lagoon Escape Hatches Falling Out

It is the escape hatch. Lagoon and some others use safety glass which is broken with a special hammer attached close to the glass.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 05:54   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
It is the escape hatch. Lagoon and some others use safety glass which is broken with a special hammer attached close to the glass.

Ahhh, ok, they’re no longer using Lewmar opening ports.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:17   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Just completed a long run (NYC-Bermuda-Azores) on a L380 with the fixed solid glass variety...man I dont like them...right at the water line...a good whack from floating debri could create a serious crisis. We cut covers for them, and those big ass windows in the cabins, from 1/2" plywood before departure. A video underway below. If my boat I would fiberglass over them...just a sales & marketting gimmick to placate capsize fear...those big ass holes in the boat are much more scary!

(Argh...cant post video now, will update w link later)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 11:05   #19
bez

Boat: Lagoon 450F

We had these brackets fixed as a warranty recall by Lagoon. Personally I think this is a silly solution and I have lodged a complaint via my dealer. The boat is specified with escape hatches that require knocking out with a hammer in case of emergency, so in my view, the hatches supplied should match those specifications (staying in place in all conditions, to be hammered when necessary), no ifs and buts. If the supplied hatches cannot be certified for the job, then adding some small aluminium brackets to the hull is not a proper solution. The entire hatches should be replaced with a type for which its fitness for purpose can be warranteed. I'll be waiting for Lagoon's response.....
bez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 13:27   #20

Boat: Lagoon 450

I just had my life raft, that I thought was very secure, ripped out by the sea and lost. I have no doubt that a lose escape hatch resting on these brackets would leak severely and most likely work it’s way out and be lost. Dangerous, stupid and cheap solution!!! Shame on Lagoon for putting lives at risk like this.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 13:33   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lagoon Escape Hatches Falling Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
I just had my life raft, that I thought was very secure, ripped out by the sea and lost. I have no doubt that a lose escape hatch resting on these brackets would leak severely and most likely work it’s way out and be lost. Dangerous, stupid and cheap solution!!! Shame on Lagoon for putting lives at risk like this.
Your not a name.. Your a number.. $$$$$$..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:58   #22

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
My brackets arrived today so will fit tomorrow. Not the easiest job, working out of the dinghy under the boat but the brackets look like a good solution to the potential issue.

Hey Dave, can't the silicon be removed and re bedded? Not sure if this is possible or if anyone has looked at this option?
Regards
Euge
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 18:44   #23

Somebody said the adhesive for the lagoon escape hatches is not silicone but instead is the adhesive used for windshields which is urethane. Not sure if this is correct.
Old 25-07-2019, 11:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
My hatches, 7 years old, look excellent. I wonder if they can just drop out with no warning? I have made up hatch covers for quick install until the kit arrives and is installed.
Both our 2008 Lagoon 420 fixed tempered glass escape hatches fell out within two hours of each other on a bumpy ride half way between the Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos last year. I had literally inspected them just before departing - no signs of a problem,, no leaks. Almost lost the boat.
Lagoon refused to acknowledge an issue, and Multi-Tech in Florida reported never hearing of a similar issue.

So now I am very surprised to hear of these reports. Who does one contact at Lagoon?
tinsoldier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 11:37   #25

I've always been curious about these hatches. If they're Emergency escape hatches, why do they need to be portlights?? Even the ones that open on hinges? Who puts a glass porthole/portlight in the HULL? Why not install solid hatches with a sturdy hinge and a series off latches??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 12:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier50 View Post
Both our 2008 Lagoon 420 fixed tempered glass escape hatches fell out within two hours of each other on a bumpy ride half way between the Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos last year. I had literally inspected them just before departing - no signs of a problem,, no leaks. Almost lost the boat.
Lagoon refused to acknowledge an issue, and Multi-Tech in Florida reported never hearing of a similar issue.

So now I am very surprised to hear of these reports. Who does one contact at Lagoon?
Wow!! Glad you are safe.

When I contacted Fountaine Pajot and Goiot I pretty much was given the same response. In my opinion they didn't take the issue seriously until a boat was lost and they were being sued. If your hatch is the break the glass kind, I'm pretty sure it was also made by Goiot. Here is their email qualite@goiot.fr. They only offered new adhesive for me [emoji852]️
Old 25-07-2019, 14:07   #27

I suspect you are right. There was nothing on the hatches that failed identifying them, nor on the replacement hatches that came directly from Lagoon. ( replacements looked identical). I asked MultiTech, who did the insurance repair, if they could determine the manufacturer but no joy.
tinsoldier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 14:36   #28

The hatch I looked at didn't have any marks either, but the retrofit kit I saw from lagoon identified the hatch as Goiot.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I've always been curious about these hatches. If they're Emergency escape hatches, why do they need to be portlights?? Even the ones that open on hinges? Who puts a glass porthole/portlight in the HULL? Why not install solid hatches with a sturdy hinge and a series off latches??
Darn good question, even weight saving is not an excuse as I'm willing to bet that the glass and aluminum weigh a lot more than straight solid composites.
Gin-N-Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 14:12   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

I think the lagoon solution had promise to be good. In theory no leaks because it wasn’t a hatch, no mechanism to fail and quick to deploy. The glass was a key part of the solution because it had to be breakable.

The Goiot hatch suffers from a number of design flaws. The lens could have been fine, but they did not adhere it to the hatch well enough. They now apparently offer a solid hatch but if the rest of the hinge and seal are the same it will still have leaking problems.

Perhaps some of the thought process is the hatch would be easier to find in an emergency if it was transparent and let light into what would be a very dark place otherwise.

Tags
escape hatches, hatch, lagoon