Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 09:09   #136

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Re: Lagoon 620 as a Bluewater Cruiser for Circumnavigation ?

The 52-56 is a pretty large jump in size, the way it was explained to me is for every inch you increase the diameter on a basketball you double the volume. 56 is a monster of a boat. 52 is a good size and I believe manageable with a crew of 2. All of the lagoons I believe could be managed with 2 pretty easy, it's the storm and crisis sailing when the extra hands are needed. I signed hand mine all the time, even with the wife and son on board. But when I wake up to a dragging anchor, sheet line broke, docking in heavy winds or current.... It's all hands on deck.
Maintaining things and reacting to things that break are different scenarios. You pull up in a 52,56,62 or even a 440,450 you will get different prices for the same job for each boat. A ton of people bid the boat and not the job so the more you are able to do yourself the better. 53-56 is a lot of boat to maintain.
I can comfortably get 200 plus miles a day, most cats will get 1/2 winds, almost always. More supplies simply means slower boat. If you have a good water maker, we are going for 40 gal per hour. Simple system for under 6K, saw it at the boat show.
For us and planning the circumnavigation, people tend to think of Kevin Cosner "Water World" when in fact most days out will not last longer than a few days to a week. You would only have 2 that are going to push you over 3 weeks. Those will just take provision planning.
The 45 is an awesome boat if you focus on systems and purposefull set up. We are a family of 3 and find the 44 treats us well and I am able to maintain it myself. It's all in the set up. Welcome and congrats for taking the plunge, we always say "this doesn't suck" SV BlackSheep
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, cruiser, lagoon