Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 03:55   #586

Boat: Lagoon 420
The 420 A/C system is in fact a number of separate systems each individually controlled. Turn them all up full and you will pay for it. But for some charterers this is just what they want they are prepared to pay for their comfort - they don't want to compromise. Remember, this is not a boat for those who are looking to rough it - there are plenty of other boats that will fit their needs. Luxury is part of what this boat is all about.

On the other hand you don't have to use any of it. Personally, I have never used A/C in the Caribbean (land or boat) and have loved every moment. This boat will also serve those who want the space and comfort but want to minimize their impact / consumption.

Dignity is fitted with the standard A/C. It doesn't fit our longer term needs but it's there for all the charterers who want a decent A/C system.

When we move aboard I can only imagine using it when the heat is both unbearable and perhaps we're under the weather ourselves - and then only use one subsystem. Given that the system comprises a series of independant units, I see it as having a lot of spares. Over the years I may end up with not enough parts to make a single working system. At that point I'll consider my options.
Old 07-06-2007, 15:41   #587

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
A/C

the Martha R will have custom installed A/C unit by the owner Douglas. This is a single unit which just has one register on the port cabin and one on the starboard cabin side and one in the salon. As previously stated this unit is supposed to run all night without the generator kicking on. As far as no A/C in the summer, in the Caribbean, you must have a high tolerence for heat and humidity. We have spent many a night sweating all night on a windless or rainy night.
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 17:24   #588

Hi Evan,

I believe you are correct about the Martha R. As far as A/C goes I think Doug has a great idea here and I'm very much considering emulating this once I end up with a bunch of dud parts (it's inevitable after all). Probably quite a few years away.

However - let's put this into perspective. The average cruising party chartering a newish L420 is going to be forking out $10k plus or minus a few for their vacation all in. If they want A/C I don't imagine a couple of 100 bucks here and there is going to be a big deal. As a Brit living in the US I am staggered by the expense my friends are prepared to pay keeping their houses feeling like fridge in summer. But that's their choice and I respect it in the same way I respect the choices of future charterers of all boats.

The A/C on the 420s has a certain BTU rating which (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is significantly greater than boats to which she has been compared to on this thread.

Some will like this - some won't. Plenty of options to go around.

I personally believe the L420 in charter will appeal to those who are looking for real comfort. It will also appeal to those who want to be "green" and choose to use the boat that way. And oddly enough, the boat will appeal to those who are 'twixed' and want a bit of both but are not sure of exactly what this means. From a business perspective I am not worried.

As for having a high tolerence for heat and humidity - all I can say is I know I'm not alone. Unless I am grossly mistaken, a good percentage of cruisers have no A/C and enjoying their lifestyle. Charterers will be more fussy and they are being catered for. I'm wearing my cruisers hat when I make that statement.

Good luck with your trip. Hope it works out.
Old 07-06-2007, 19:00   #589

Owners charter experience

Can any owners comment on their experiences with TMM and Catamaran Company as charter as operators of your yachts? I am looking at a number of these vendors in BVI and would like some feedback on experiences.

If there is another area that handles this please let me know as I was not able to find it on the forums search.

Thanks
sfbaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 19:14   #590

CatCo are a nice crew and eager to please. Dignity has not yet arrived in the BVI so I don't yet have real experience of what you are asking.

If you're looking to buy new then own/charter then I do recommend you go with a company that can sell the boat to you, arrange the shipping and then manage in charter. The rationale is you are engaged with someone who has financial interests at both ends of the delivery. CatCo and TMM fit this bill.

Steve
Old 07-06-2007, 20:24   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105
CatCo are a nice crew and eager to please. Dignity has not yet arrived in the BVI so I don't yet have real experience of what you are asking.

If you're looking to buy new then own/charter then I do recommend you go with a company that can sell the boat to you, arrange the shipping and then manage in charter. The rationale is you are engaged with someone who has financial interests at both ends of the delivery. CatCo and TMM fit this bill.

Steve
Yes, I've seen her up on their site. I've spoken to Greg and Joanne they seem like decent folks, although I heard that one or both have possible left? I chartered thru them this past November on a newer 380 S2 that was clean and well maintained with no hassles. I'll keep an eye out for any added feedback you have as relationships with the maintenance group is a very important factor on my end.

I'll be chartering again next year in BVI on a 3 cabin L420, if Dignity is free I hope to book her.

Thanks,
Zach
sfbaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 23:00   #592

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbaybe
Can any owners comment on their experiences with TMM and Catamaran Company as charter as operators of your yachts? I am looking at a number of these vendors in BVI and would like some feedback on experiences.

If there is another area that handles this please let me know as I was not able to find it on the forums search.

Thanks
I've been with TMM for just over 4 years now. One of the best I believe. Happy to provide more detailed analysis. email or pm me.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:42   #593

Interesting observation. If you type lagoon 420 into google, this thread comes up as the 7th hit.
Old 10-06-2007, 13:11   #594

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
The Cat Co and TMM are very reputable companies. When I finally buy my boat those will be one of the two companies I would choose. I might be a minority, but there is something I love about Nanny Cay.
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 12:57   #595

Conventional diesel engines

Hi all,

as anounced when introducing the Lagoon 420 a couple of years ago the Lagoon 420 is now according to several ads in the internet also available with conventional diesels. Apparently Lagoon seems to only offer 40hp engines - which I find quite surprising if you take into account that the 420 is somewhat heavier than the 440 which is also equipped with 50hp engines.

Has anyone of you informations on whether and when Lagoon will offer bigger diesels für the 420? What may be the reason for only offering the weak 40hp diesels?

Any information about the pricing?

Many thanks.

The Fielder.
Fielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 10:16   #596

Has anyone heard how Martha R faired on her way across the Atlantic? I've been checking regularly to see if anything has been posted to no avail. We have her chartered for January as we wanted to try a 420 and have found the previous discussions very interesting.
LadySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 14:18   #597

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
Classified for your protection

I've not posted about the 420 in quite awhile and I can't now, except to say, that I may or may not follow through with my March 2008 delivery. All information regarding electric drive and sailing performance is now officially classified. I can not confirm or deny the existence of a diesel option. This file has been sealed in the interest of national security.

I can say that if the dollar continues its free fall vs the euro, a new diesel L420 should run just under a million dollars.

Thank you for your cooperation.
planetoftheapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 16:48   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySailor
Has anyone heard how Martha R faired on her way across the Atlantic? I've been checking regularly to see if anything has been posted to no avail. We have her chartered for January as we wanted to try a 420 and have found the previous discussions very interesting.
Martha R is in the BVIs and Doug and Charlie are down there right now putting in their refinements. Hopefully Doug can give an account shortly.
Old 26-06-2007, 15:11   #599

Boat: Previous S&S 39, L420 ordered
Hi all,
Great site! We have ordered a 420 with 2x40HP Yanmar sail drives. Ex France December 07. Plan to live aboard and sail east cost Australia for first few years, then who knows. Love the space in this boat, its in a class of its own for its length. Remote area maintenance, low power and new tech teething troubles dissuaded me from diesel electric.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 11:39   #600

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleview
Hi all,
Great site! We have ordered a 420 with 2x40HP Yanmar sail drives. Ex France December 07. Plan to live aboard and sail east cost Australia for first few years, then who knows. Love the space in this boat, its in a class of its own for its length. Remote area maintenance, low power and new tech teething troubles dissuaded me from diesel electric.
Congratulations. I hope and believe you've made a great choice in going for the L420 and I hope you made a mistake in going for the diesel option, as we will be picking up our hybrid L420 in nine weeks time. Time will tell.

Chris
L420, #52, Octopus
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420