We have been pondering for a while an upgrade from the standard Lagoon
Highfield 350 dinghy with 20HP Honda
to a center console dinghy. We cruise
in the Bahamas
and it is easy to leave the dinghy in the water at the beach. Why do we want to upgrade?
- This is the standard dinghy that most dealers offer
- It comes with a 20HP Honda
- sturdy aluminum
- Honda is fuel
efficient, smooth running and fairly quiet
- Dinghy has a very wet ride (tried all kinds of trims) in cross winds. The bottom is just too straight far forward.
- With 4 people the 20HP Honda will only get the dinghy to plane if you can ride down a wave. 4people plus dog or groceries - no chance to plane it
- The Honda is very picky with water in the fuel. There is a spring ring in the carbutettor accelerator pump
that rusts. Every time we return to the boat for the new season we have to fully clean the carburettor more than once. A fixed water seperator filter for the Honda 20 is a must.
Yamaha 30 2-stroke:
Being tired of cleaning
the carburettor all the time (I did not realize the water was the problem until later) I bought a Yamaha 30 2-stroke. People told me it will always start, no matter what, and that is true, but:
- really rough running, lots of vibration
- noisy as hell
- drinks fuel like there is no tomorrow. Poses the problem of how to store all that fuel when far away from fuel docks and gas stations for extended periods.
We like to explore all the little cays and reefs
, so we would like to have a comfortable ride that allows us to take friends and the big dog along as well.
This is what I have come up with after discussing the issues with other sailors here.
New motor and dinghy:
- center console for comfortable sitting (I have a back problem)
-electric start (see back problem)
trim. I find myself changing the trim of the motor often when we go from just one or two people to four plus dog and groceries.
- electric tilt - Bahamas - the most interesting sites are very shallow
Suzuki 4-stroke 30
- is supposed to be very fuel efficient, a frind claims. Once you are planing the electronic fuel injection leans the mixture out making it very fuel efficient.
Center console AB Light dinghy VSX12
-fairly light design 120kg, with Suzuki, fuel, anchor
, and misc. 225kg.
- space for four people and stuff