Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2013, 08:12   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Seeking Additional Experience

As an early step in our future lifestyle shift, my wife and I would love an opportunity to gain some experience crewing. I am somewhat experienced, having sailed for 14 or so years, however, that has primarily been on inland lakes. I also have some very limited time island hopping in the Caribbean.

My wife is fairly new to sailing, but is quickly picking up everything I know on our 27 footer. We're both very hard working and eager to gain knowledge, relatively handy, and very easy to get along with. Both in our early 30s and in good physical shape.

She's a school teacher, which means we won't truly be available until later in May, and I am limited to 1-2 week trips by alotted vacation hours, but outside of that we can be available on short notice throughout the summer.

Thanks for any consideration!
Old 19-04-2013, 08:29   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Seeking Additional Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBod View Post
As an early step in our future lifestyle shift, my wife and I would love an opportunity to gain some experience crewing. I am somewhat experienced, having sailed for 14 or so years, however, that has primarily been on inland lakes. I also have some very limited time island hopping in the Caribbean.

My wife is fairly new to sailing, but is quickly picking up everything I know on our 27 footer. We're both very hard working and eager to gain knowledge, relatively handy, and very easy to get along with. Both in our early 30s and in good physical shape.

She's a school teacher, which means we won't truly be available until later in May, and I am limited to 1-2 week trips by alotted vacation hours, but outside of that we can be available on short notice throughout the summer.

Thanks for any consideration!

I think you're very wise to do this. Wonderful that your wife wants to sail, and learn, and that your relationship tolerates your teaching her!

However, at the end of the day, what you'll have is you knowing what you know -- and her knowing what you know.

Go on other boats and learn what other people know, too. Smart.

The ocean will be different than lakes, but the basic principles will be the same. Get out every weekend you can now too, and on other people's boats, esp. if you know them to be skilled sailors.
Old 19-04-2013, 08:54   #3

Boat: None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I think you're very wise to do this. Wonderful that your wife wants to sail, and learn, and that your relationship tolerates your teaching her!

However, at the end of the day, what you'll have is you knowing what you know -- and her knowing what you know.

Go on other boats and learn what other people know, too. Smart.

The ocean will be different than lakes, but the basic principles will be the same. Get out every weekend you can now too, and on other people's boats, esp. if you know them to be skilled sailors.

Thank you for the encouraging words!
Old 20-04-2013, 05:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

I run a charter cat and from time to time invite folks aboard during our relocation cruises between NY & BAHAMAS on a shared expense basis. For those interested in learning by doing, these offshore experiences are a great way to round out your seamanship, in an informal setting , with 2 licensed full time liveaboard Captains.
Old 28-04-2013, 17:24   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Irwin 52 Freya
Send a message via MSN to cliff johnsen Send a message via Skype™ to cliff johnsen

keep in touch. My wife teaches too so our vacations time is same. We are sailiing May5 for Panama. Just one of you could go then.

The boat is big, fast and comfortaboe Irwin 52 ketch. See it at Freya | 52 Feet Of Timeless Beauty and Elegance
email me at freya52@live.com or even call me at 530-342-1665

I have a partner who will stay with the boat in Panama. You could also stay a while and explore the islands there.