Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 14:05   #1

Boat: Pearson 281
Seattle / Portland to SoCal / Mexico

Will be available after a delivery arriving Seattle in mid to late June. Great navigator and cook.
Old 31-05-2011, 10:58   #2

Boat: S&S design centercockpit 38, bluewater cruiser
Re: Seattle / Portland to SoCal / Mexico

Hey Butler,

Im getting ready to sail south from San Juan Islands ( just north of seattle ) late June.

I seek crew (one) to join me to San Fran or LA where I meet my girl friend- we continue to mex for surf and dive adventure.

Let me know if interested.

I live in Honolulu ( a carpenter/ surfer), on a two month adventure. S&S design 38' blue water center cockpit proven world cruiser.

Aloha,

Paul

paul.poehlman at g mail
Old 31-05-2011, 12:57   #3

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

This is slightly off-topic, but concerns the way south. I have made the trip you describe three times, and would like to emphasize that coastal hopping is not the way to plan this trip, but instead make one jump from Neah Bay, WA all the way to your California desitination. Coastal hopping is for those who love fog, bad bar conditions, heavy coastal traffic, and being stuck in mediocre ports. Get out there at least 75 miles offshore, make it in one hop, and you'll enjoy the trip much more and save a lot of time.
Best of luck!
Old 31-05-2011, 13:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Thanks for the been there done that reply. I to am heading that way only later in the year. I am going down in Sept. would you recommend same route?
Old 31-05-2011, 14:14   #5

Newt -
The latest I did this trip was a mid-October departure, and we got knocked around a little, nothing serious. Same for a late September departure. The other was mid-summer and pretty much a dead-calm motor-sail. So I would definitely stay even further offshore the later you leave - just to have the sea room.

And I would definitely not plan on putting in anywhere the later you leave as the bars get much worse in late fall. It's an old saw, but true - land is the problem, sea room never is.

** Sidebar: I have to mention again that I think the ports south of the Straits of Juan de Fuca, until you reach the Golden Gate, are worth neither the time nor the risk to a cruising sailboat. And they are all problematic in some conditions. It is simply poor strategy to run this coast close inshore. **
Old 31-05-2011, 14:21   #6

Newt - Sorry for the ramble. Anything up to the first of October for your departure ought to be OK if your boat can't downflood. Don't forget the Columbus Day storm of 1962 - 90 knots out of the south at Cape Flattery. So I personally would not leave after November 1st in any cruising boat I know of.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43   #7

Boat: S&S design centercockpit 38, bluewater cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
Newt -
The latest I did this trip was a mid-October departure, and we got knocked around a little, nothing serious. Same for a late September departure. The other was mid-summer and pretty much a dead-calm motor-sail. So I would definitely stay even further offshore the later you leave - just to have the sea room.

And I would definitely not plan on putting in anywhere the later you leave as the bars get much worse in late fall. It's an old saw, but true - land is the problem, sea room never is.

** Sidebar: I have to mention again that I think the ports south of the Straits of Juan de Fuca, until you reach the Golden Gate, are worth neither the time nor the risk to a cruising sailboat. And they are all problematic in some conditions. It is simply poor strategy to run this coast close inshore. **
thanks for the good info re Oregon and washington coast. I had rread that before, and I want to be in warm water not North Pacific cold water.

Thanks again.

Trimming-out
Old 02-06-2011, 08:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

No ramble Billy, digging the advice. I hear different est. concerning how south you have to travel to clear the winter storms. Sf? Sd? Mexico? Thanks again and sorry for the drift.

Tags
portland, seattle