Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 13:03   #31

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch
Re: San Diego to Alaska to Japan

Shaggy, I totally agree with Tacoma Sailor and CWYCKHAM, You are not ready for a cruise such as you propose. I have looked for and picked up to many amatures, and looked for a lot more that we never found. and that also goes for professionals. From what you are asking in the way of questions, and your responses I am beginning to think you are not even ready for the Southern Route by your self. Do everyone a favor and get yourself some real experience, before you try something like this. The North Pacific is not a place to learn.
Old 28-05-2015, 13:39   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
Shaggy, I totally agree with Tacoma Sailor and CWYCKHAM, You are not ready for a cruise such as you propose. I have looked for and picked up to many amatures, and looked for a lot more that we never found. and that also goes for professionals. From what you are asking in the way of questions, and your responses I am beginning to think you are not even ready for the Southern Route by your self. Do everyone a favor and get yourself some real experience, before you try something like this. The North Pacific is not a place to learn.
G'day Shaggy, and welcome to the CF.

The above advice is exactly what I would have said if I had come across this thread sooner.

What you propose is full of thoughts common to inexperienced sailors, and your attitude of ignoring the negative responses common as well.

Nay-sayers are often flamed here on CF, but sometimes nay-saying saves lives... yours might well be one of those!

Jim
Old 28-05-2015, 14:09   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Shaggy,

Welcome aboard. You may not have been here long enough to learn that cwyckham is a sail instructor. He takes a conservative position here that is appropriate for keeping people safe at sea; and he is familiar with the PNW.

Issues of DAV's vary as much as the people themselves, but beware, if what you are seeking is self-healing, all one's problems go with one when one is at sea.

Something you might want to consider is that mikem's experience is of just one trip, and his memories of it may have made it pleasanter in the remembering than it was in the actuality [memory does play tricks on us at times]; the pilot charts are based on years and years of experience, many, many voyages.

Best wishes, mate,

Ann
Old 28-05-2015, 15:39   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Shaggy,

Welcome aboard. You may not have been here long enough to learn that cwyckham is a sail instructor. He takes a conservative position here that is appropriate for keeping people safe at sea; and he is familiar with the PNW.

Issues of DAV's vary as much as the people themselves, but beware, if what you are seeking is self-healing, all one's problems go with one when one is at sea.

Something you might want to consider is that mikem's experience is of just one trip, and his memories of it may have made it pleasanter in the remembering than it was in the actuality [memory does play tricks on us at times]; the pilot charts are based on years and years of experience, many, many voyages.

Best wishes, mate,

Ann

Thank You, Ann, for you kind and caring nonassuming words, of which cannot be said for a few others on here! I grew up racing sailboats, and placed 5th in the All Japan Yacht Race when I was 12! Ann, I don't feel the need answer to ANYONE'S concern as to something I have been doing for 44 years! Yes, I am familiar with currents, and have bucked the Gulf Stream numerous times! I only asked for what Michael answered, and he provided me with his professional take on both options I threw up! Thank You for taking a nonjudgemental stance!
Old 28-05-2015, 22:01   #35

Boat: Skookum 53'

No judgment here Shaggy, I am just a seeker of the most comfortable run. I have been beaten too long and too often and when I can will avoid the windward routes. Doesn't mean I don't know or haven't done them, just would rather not, it is absolutely your choice and if you are coming north I would advise getting offshore about 100nm to get away from the bounce back swell that you get running closer to land, you probably wouldn't need to go out 100 nm, but that also gets you outside of the shipping lanes and usually into fairer weather than next to the beach.
Old 29-05-2015, 13:41   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Welcome Shaggy49, This is an interesting thread. It is backwards to go as you propose--and most folks here have pointed that out. Its the sort of stunt/trip people do for a reason--not on a whim. A reason? We wanted to see Alaska but didn't want to deal with quarantine in HI or Japan (for the cat aboard) and since we've lived in Japan for a couple years, visited HI many times, we're not keen to include those locations in our quest for a visit to Alaska. A *stunt* perhaps for people who feel they must be different from all the rest of folks sailing or just a *different* kinda trip for experienced ocean sailors who are looking for a little more challenge. That challenge need not be fighting the currents and winds -- it might be the challenge of finding the ideal wx windows to sail or motor through.

We've sailed up and down along the west coast enjoyably for a couple years. Starting in San Diego, there was nowhere to go (and be in the US) but north. We know the path from San Diego to SE Alaska going S to N and yes, there are times you can do all parts of that trip sailing north (as we've done) rather than motoring.

However, if your goal includes Japan, it becomes pretty obvious that going across to HI and then up to Japan or doing any number of loops of the Pacific would better serve your purpose as you can then return to North America via Alaska in the way that is most likely to be successful.

We're back in the SFBay right now and our *next* multi-month trip will likely be another sail to Alaska, this time crossing the gulf of AK and visiting Prince William Sound, maybe other places, who knows...and then a sail back to some nice warm California sunshine.

Enjoy your travels, don't look for stunts, have a real reason to do what you do -- do it safely and in a way that enriches your life. Fair winds.
Old 30-05-2015, 08:21   #37

Boat: Skookum 53'

Prince William Sound is a beautiful place and plenty of hidey holes to anchor up in, good fishing too.
Old 30-05-2015, 08:25   #38

Thank You, 58..
Old 30-05-2015, 09:23   #39

Boat: KP 46

Just a note here, my read of the OP (Shaggy) was that he was asking for information, not advice. I believe I gave him experience based information (well, a little advice, I did say take your time and have good weather gear). Also I did give my unasked for opinion that given the choice I personally would take the southern route.

It is not up to me to tell him where to go or which way, but simply try and give him the information he is asking for so that he is better equipped to make his own decisions. I believe that is the purpose of the forum.

Michael
Old 30-05-2015, 11:28   #40

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Just a note here, my read of the OP (Shaggy) was that he was asking for information, not advice. I believe I gave him experience based information (well, a little advice, ...It is not up to me to tell him where to go or which way, but simply try and give him the information he is asking for so that he is better equipped to make his own decisions. I believe that is the purpose of the forum.
Shaggy asked "Can anyone tell me what to expect, and what I should look out for?"

And he was told, by quite a few NW sailors,
- headwinds
- cool air
- cool water

for the initial 3,700 NM - what he does with that well documented info is his business. I would be very interested to hear what he has to say next winter after he completes the voyage.
Old 30-05-2015, 13:03   #41

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw1961 View Post
Three or four nordhavn power boats did a trip very similar to the one you describe. There is a write up about it on the nordhavn website. It is called the great siberian sushi run. True, they are not sailboats, but the conditions will be the same.
We will to do this same route in two years.
If three Nordhavns can do it, certainly one Krogen can
Old 30-05-2015, 15:44   #42

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Shaggy, Years ago we had an Old CG Chief Petty Officer who was responsible for training at the CG Base Kodiak, had a training routine where he would take the newbies down to Old Woman's Bay and would tell the newbies if they could walk from beach to a buoy 50 yards out without getting their feet wet, were exempt from having to wear survival gear when out on patrol. Even now the CG requires any one going out on patrol WILL WEAR DRY SUITS, as the water temperature is 50 Deg. or below, and a person only has 15 min. or less, to help in saving themselves.
So you might check-in with the CG for what their suggestions might be. Even now, the aircrewmen, who do most of the rescue work, will being wearing Dry Suites. Stay Dry and Good Luck. From a Grump olde Chief who did his time up there, from Ketchican to Attu and points North.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:21   #43

Hi,
so finally what will be your route, and when do you start?

Caroline

Tags
alaska, Japan, san diego