Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2012, 17:13   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to floatingdoctors
Re-fit Crew Needed For 2-4 Months In Panama

The Floating Doctors is a medical mission traveling by 76' 119-ton ship to provide medical relief. We have worked in Haiti twice, Honduras, and are currently based in Panama developing an ongoing operation here in preparation for a Haiti mission in 2014.

In January-April 2013, we will be doing an in-water refit of our ship. An in-frame rebuild of our starboard 671, installation of an outside steering system and new nav system, replacing and moving the battery bank and electrical system, and the million carpentry and odd project jobs that we need to complete aboard.

Experience needed among volunteers: electrical, carpentry, mechanical, and other aspects of boat building experience are what we need.

We are looking for 4-6 people to help with the rebuild. Ability to drive a panga and deliver medical teams to remote community locations in the archipeligo, or the ability to drive a 119-ton twin engine sailor/trawler a huge plus.

We will offer accommodation in private cabin onboard and a $50 a week food allowance. Stipends will be available for select volunteers who may be invited to stay on after a 2-month trial period.

We are not political or religious, just about medical and public health assistance. Our website is Floating Doctors, and or youtube channel and facebook are also Floating Doctors. Please visit our website and see what we are about before contacting us. I will conduct interviews by phone and email over the next 6 weeks.
Old 15-11-2012, 18:21   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: re-fit crew needed for 2-4 months in Panama

Welcome to the forum, I applaud what you are doing, I am sure you will find help here. There are many knowledgable people here that can also help by providing information if you happen to run into a headache. I hope to contact you in the future about your program. All the best.
Old 17-11-2012, 08:36   #3

yes interested contact or send message to inbox
Old 17-11-2012, 12:07   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

We are planning on sailing Thumbs Up from Guatemala to Panama this spring. I have extensive carpentry and mechanical skills and an energetic 18 yo son. We will keep a lookout for you guys and will be happy to volunteer some of our time. We are looking forward to meeting you guys and seeing your ship.
Old 18-11-2012, 06:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

Posted your link on fb for my friends to see.,. Great program and I wish your continued success.. I have been to most of those places and know the poverty levels there.. We have it in the DR. where I am currently employed too.. If you were near me I would help out w/ the mechanics and I am fully qualified to sail the boat.. I will let all my independent sailing /boating buddies know what you are doing.. Good Luck...
Old 21-11-2012, 23:18   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to thymboy

I have experience with sand blasting, cleaning engine room and hull. I am good cook and fit for all tasks.
Old 22-11-2012, 09:29   #7

captain Gabriel Cordero have lots of experience got 50 tons master with sailing and towing endorsement also a exelent cook! am very interested! captaingabrielcordero_Cordero@aol.com
Old 23-11-2012, 00:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam54 View Post
Posted your link on fb for my friends to see.,. Great program and I wish your continued success.. I have been to most of those places and know the poverty levels there.. We have it in the DR. where I am currently employed too.. If you were near me I would help out w/ the mechanics and I am fully qualified to sail the boat.. I will let all my independent sailing /boating buddies know what you are doing.. Good Luck...
Thanks CaptSam54--maybe we'll run into you on our next trip to Cap Haitian in 2014 if you're in the north of the DR. Fair winds!
Old 23-11-2012, 00:39   #9

Hi everyone thanks for your comments; all interested folks can send a resume and email to me at benlabrot@gmail.com and I will send a lot more info about the positions. I'm making a visit back to the US in about 10 days and I'll be contacting everyone then.

Fair Winds to all, and stop by and say hi if you are near our area!

Ben La Brot
Old 23-11-2012, 04:30   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Re-fit Crew Needed For 2-4 Months In Panama

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dr. Ben (floatingdoctors), and iceman21.

Old 23-11-2012, 11:44   #11

Re: Re-fit Crew Needed For 2-4 Months In Panama

I am living in Panama and would be interested in helping out as I have a lot of time on my hands.
Good reliable handy man

Tags
crew, Panama, panama