Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 17:30   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
North to Maine from Florida

Departing Florida waters first week in May, to arrive in Chesapeake Bay June, then to NYC and LI Sound, to arrive CT June 22, in time for SSCA GAM, then North, to arrive Maine in mid-July, and cruise the islands through late August. A total of 4 months, before turning South to the Caribbean.

I am seeking 2-3 volunteer experienced, volunteer crew to share the adventure, along the way. Must be able to stand off-shore night watch.
Old 01-04-2013, 19:00   #2

Re: North to Maine from Florida

Hi,
Might you be interested in crew from the Chesapeake N to Maine? I've crewed offshore Annapolis to Bermuda and several Long Island to Annapolis transports.
Regards,
John
Old 01-04-2013, 19:23   #3

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapolis.sail View Post
Hi,
Might you be interested in crew from the Chesapeake N to Maine? I've crewed offshore Annapolis to Bermuda and several Long Island to Annapolis transports.
Regards,
John
John,
Yes. Chesapeake N to Main leg can work out.
Send me a private message, if you wish, and tell me something more about yourself, what you consider as your strength and weaknesses sailing. After we arrive on Maine, what would you like to do? Sail Maine, return South, etc?
What would you like to know about me? The boat?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:02   #4

Hi,
You can drop me a note by PM and I'll forward my sailing resume. As you'll see I'm an active racer on the Bay and a sailing instructor on the Potomac. I would need to rearrange some of that once we agreed I was going along and had a timeline.
I would like to know the type of vessel you'll be using, something of your experience and as you learn who else is joining a leaving, a bit about anyone else that would be crewing with me.
I'm very familiar with the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays and the C&D canal connecting them. I've done the coastal trip a few times as far as Newport, RI.
I look forward to hearing from you and to seeing if we can work out a trip.
Regards,
John
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50   #5

Boat: Member Boston Sailing Center

Senior Cruiser. I'm all booked up for the summer, but would be very interested in helping with the return south. Check the "about me" section of my profile. Send me an email, and I'll respond with my full sailing resume.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStepman View Post
Departing Florida waters first week in May, to arrive in Chesapeake Bay June, then to NYC and LI Sound, to arrive CT June 22, in time for SSCA GAM, then North, to arrive Maine in mid-July, and cruise the islands through late August. A total of 4 months, before turning South to the Caribbean.

I am seeking 2-3 volunteer experienced, volunteer crew to share the adventure, along the way. Must be able to stand off-shore night watch.
KStepman,

I am very interested in the trip from Florida to the Chesapeake Bay, if you're still looking for people. While I don't have a "resume," I have outlined my experience below. I do possess both a 50 ton Inland Master's license, with Sailing and Towing Endorsements, and an Ordinary Seaman (OS) MMD. I have a TWIC card as well.

My father first took me sailing on the Chesapeake Bay, out of Middle River, when I was 6 months old; I have been sailing ever since. When I was 8, I began racing on both small boats (dinghies), and Keel Boats. My keel boat racing experience includes a Cal 2-30, C&C 33, Express 35, J/22, J/24, J/29, J/30, J/35, J/42, Melges 24, Merit 25, Navy 44, and a Santa Cruz 70. My dinghy experience includes Lasers, 420s, 470s, JY15s, Thistles, and Optimists. I have done many distance races, including the Round Block Island Race and Vineyard race, both in 2008.

I have been cruising my entire life. My cruising experience includes a Pearson Ariel (similar to a Pearson Triton, only smaller), a Morgan 30, Jeanneau 35, Cal 2-27, Beneteau 35.7, and currently a Bayfield 32. I have sailed offshore many times, including a trip in November 2008 from Annapolis, Maryland to St. Maarten, in the Caribbean. In June 2010, I sailed from Tortola to Providence, RI, via Bermuda, aboard a Caliber 37. I also skippered a Pearson 36 Cutter from Annapolis to Bermuda in November 2011.

I began coaching sailing and racing when I was 13- in 2001. I have been teaching junior sailors every summer since then, teaching everything from 8 year old beginners (kids who have never set foot on a boat) to 16 year olds in advanced racing. I have taught at the Baltimore County Sailing Center for 7 summers (Baltimore County Sailing Center - Home), and in 2008 taught at the Tred Avon Yacht Club, in Oxford, Maryland (tayc.com). I have taught Ideal 18s, Rainbows, 420s, Lasers, Optis, and Hunter Xcites. Summer of 2011 I taught sailing aboard Lasers, Opti's, and Rainbows at YMCA Camp Letts in Edgewater, where I continued to teach school groups and private groups canoeing and team building activities through December. I am a Small Boat Level 1 Sailing
Instructor through US Sailing, and am also a Maryland Certified EMT
and Firefighter.

I wonder if my qualifications meet your requirements. Should you require more information, I can be reached via email at this address, or via cell phone at 443-326-6161.

Thanks in advance.

Corey Mitchell, FF/EMT
USCG Master 50 Ton
Sail/Towing endorsements
Old 05-04-2013, 12:34   #7

Hi Kenn,

Got your note about crew wanted. You know I'd love to come but have some pressure from home. I'm thinking maybe towards the end of your trip but will come earlier if you are in a pinch. Please keep me in mind.

Andy
Old 06-04-2013, 18:20   #8

KStepman,
I'm always looking to gain more long-range sailing experience. I'm certified to ASA-104, and I worked as crew on a boat delivery down the Chesapeake to NC last December. I have stood night watches in poor weather. I live in Raleigh NC. A daughter's college graduation has me in Indiana until 22 May, but I'm free after that. If you think you can use me, and if you're coming up the Pamlico, I could join you somewhere in there, and go the rest of the way. Thanks, Bruce Moore
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19   #9

Hi...I'm Larry. I'm 49 yr old experienced boater/US Marine. I am not an experienced sailor but I am smart and have a great personality and attitude.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11   #10

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

I'll be cruising CT & RI about the same time as you, also headed up to ME. Mebbe we could join up or grab a brew together at O'Brien's in Newport.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:58   #11

Hi,
We've been in touch on this before and I am interested in going N with you from the Chesapeake. It looked like you had another offer for FL to Chesapeake. I was just wondering how your plans are progressing and you never said what kind of boat you have.
You can send a reply here or to me at yahoo that's annapolis.sailor at yahoo.com. If you want a sailing resume I'll attach it but don't seem to be able to do that here.
Regards,
John
Old 10-04-2013, 05:57   #12

Hello, I am an experienced sailor and boat-mover crewmember living in Georgia. To the right captain I am available to help with the Southern leg(s) of your trip. Feel free to PM me here and we can exchange sailing resumes. Thanks!

Tags
florida, maine