Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 08:40   #46

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
Zee... how bad is that stern tube... have you hammer tested it... is it leaking.
What else needs doing...
Boatman

When I was there two days ago the now departed crew said he'd been down there with the hammer and that it was solid enough to get south. The "leak" is very minor and he seemed confident that it wasn't going to be a problem to get it down to Maz for the repair it needs.

Again, my understanding from conversations I had with Zee and Jon. I didn't see it for myself. But yeah, the consensus was that she'd make it to Maz.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:42   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need One Crew - March 1, 2011

There's a 30something English girl looking to get out of the US by the end of the month for Mexico... have you PM'd her....
She has some experience I believe... the main things watch keeping on the trip.. one more hand for sail changes should do the trick... but I think she'd need a guaranteed departure not a "Yes".... "Oh Soot..No" one...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:43   #48

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Your talking about Abi. I PM'ed her. Never heard back. I think Zee emailed her and got the same. But she sounds like she'd be perfect. Maybe someone else should try reaching her again? I don't know.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:49   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
Your talking about Abi. I PM'ed her. Never heard back. I think Zee emailed her and got the same. But she sounds like she'd be perfect. Maybe someone else should try reaching her again? I don't know.
LOL........ at 30 something she was probably swamped with offers..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:57   #50

Boat: PETERSON 44
Right ohh so 2 on board could still start sailing to shake it out a bit. Even if it's just a few overnight runs. Seems like it's Mexico or bust. While your waiting for crew why nit start sailing.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:23   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61

LOL........ at 30 something she was probably swamped with offers..
Yeah really. She looks pretty cute in her avatar too. ;-)
Old 12-03-2011, 09:31   #52

Re: Need One Crew - March 1, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Right ohh so 2 on board could still start sailing to shake it out a bit. Even if it's just a few overnight runs. Seems like it's Mexico or bust. While your waiting for crew why nit start sailing.
Well heading South into Mexico on a short run means sailing into Ensenada, past Ensenada Baja is pretty sparse.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:38   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Personally I'd stand well off and run S till I needed to head in... makes life a lot easier than having to deal with Coastal traffic hassle...

Old 12-03-2011, 10:10   #54

I have experience with 470 and 49er + 3 weeks of cruising on chartered Jeanneau's in the North Sea + in the process of self-studying RAY Yachtmaster theory and was planning to do the competent crew & day skipper & Day Skipper instructor this summer.

I have time available but:
1. I'd rather not travel to the USA, last time in 2008 airport security was already absurd with eye scans and such and nowadays they want to touch my junk.
2. First want to secure a job or phd starting fall 2011.

If you're interested, I'll keep you updated.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:19   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma

Well heading South into Mexico on a short run means sailing into Ensenada, past Ensenada Baja is pretty sparse.
No what I meant was go sail. Nothing like a shake down even if it's for a day or 2. Surely you don't have to go to Mexico everytime you raise sail in california. Never sailed there. But assume if you sail you could go somewhere other then Mexico. Sometimes untying the line is the hardest part.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:20   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-Jan View Post
I have experience with 470 and 49er + 3 weeks of cruising on chartered Jeanneau's in the North Sea + in the process of self-studying RAY Yachtmaster theory and was planning to do the competent crew & day skipper & Day Skipper instructor this summer.

I have time available but:
1. I'd rather not travel to the USA, last time in 2008 airport security was already absurd with eye scans and such and nowadays they want to touch my junk.
2. First want to secure a job or phd starting fall 2011.

If you're interested, I'll keep you updated.
LOL... no one's touching anyone's junk here. It's all high tech X-Ray vision now. Now they just look at your junk.

But... one can alway fly into Tijuana and then cross border into SD. I hear the TJ airport is actually quite nice.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39   #57
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

peter-jan-- get your job done first-- is most important!!! is nasty here in airports...
i tried to get in touch with the gurlee--i think she may have found her dream sailingtrip-- no answer. is all good.
i need to get 2 chainplates off this boat and to the machine shop for making new ones.
i need to install my new nav lites for port and stbd.
then i can go. there is no more available time.
oops. my bad.
i have ads in to: lat 38 crew list, cf, sbo, sk, fb,pof, match.com, and every other place i can think of. am batting 1000. no problem-- i will pay my neighbor more and leave sometime soon. you guys have been most supportive--i will get my self out of here soon. just dont know exactly when.
boatman is correct--i will need to remain off coast a decent distance and beeline for the first stop--mazatlan. there are places i have chosen to use as rest stops and if needed storm holes. i do have hydraulic pilot on the quadrant. add egg timer and --voila-- crew. dont even have to feed that one.

sabray-- sailing out of sd bay is a southward directed act in and of itself. the only usa places to sail on kali coast are northbound. they are also a long distance from here.
when i leave this bay i will continue south until i can see my friends in mazatlan and get this boat to the safety of their dock.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:25   #58

Zee,

As long as you are leaving by April 1 you can continue to count me in. I am a bit of an insomniac and can regularly handle myself comfortably on 4 hours sleep. So between me and the hydro pilot you got something.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43   #59

Just a thought zee. A few sails with the crew may be good. Wish you the best of sailing. Somehow seems like your not ready needing chainplstes and all maybe best to hang tight a bit.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:24   #60
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

would love to hang tight a bit. the deadline is not of my making.. i would have CHOSEN to leave in late oct, but i was GIVEN april fools day. jolly giood joke, if not formed into a schedule from hell.

Tags
arc, crew