Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 22:17   #1

Smile Looking to crew down to Panama

Looking to hitch a ride down to Panama. Originally I was going to buy a boat, single hand it down, but decided against it at the last minute.

Instead, I'm looking to find a crew spot down to Panama from the east coast.

I've some experience - about 30NM as rail meat on some J boats in Chicago, and ASA 101/103/104 completion, plus about 100-150NM as skipper to Red fish island out of Galveston bay, Boaters cut, etc. that kind of thing. It ain't a lot of experience, I know, but it's a start, and I don't shy away from hard work.

I can read a chart, plot a course, and take a fix. I'm fine single handing provided the sheets and lines are fair and make sense layout wise, and I'm not afraid to go up the mast if needs be, provided I've got someone I trust to hold that line down below. I can even pick you up on the windward side under sail if you go over.

I'm good with a soldering iron and understand electronics and NEMA 2K systems (it's just basic networking after all) as well as DC generators, and I'm not afraid to rebuild an impeller. My former day job was building data centers, working with Linux systems and computer networking and internet systems; with hobbies in electronics, circuit design, playing with lasers, that kind of thing. Built my own GPS once, it even worked.

Oh, I'm a passable cook as well.

I do smoke (tobacco only), but typically only when I'm stressed, and I only drink occasionally though almost never to excess. I couldn't care less if you smoke, drink, or get high as long as you don't put my happy tail in any sort of stupid risk - safety wise or with law enforcement.

I'm also not broke, so can chip in on provisions, spares, and fuel as the need arises. I was planning on outfitting my own boat after all. Though I'd prefer not to be the one responsible for footing the bill to provision yours entirely.

I'm a quiet, and easy going fellow. I don't care about your past, just about who you are in the present. I honestly get along well with just about everyone, and never pass judgement on anyone. Even folks I don't care for would never know it. Hell, even my ex wife still likes me... (usually)!

I'm currently in Nebraska, but will be up in Chicago on the 8th of July, and can head out to points E/SE anytime after the 10th of July. Looking to make the passage down to Panama by the end of 2014.

If you think I'd be a good fit, then drop me a line via PM, and we'll take it from there.

Oh yeah, I'm 39 and in good physical health as well.

Tags
crew, Panama