Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 09:05   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
It's that time of the Year again....

The Pacific outside of Washington and Oregon is calming down again. The sun is shinning. I will be taking my boat up the coast from Astoria to Friday Harbor Washington the last week of July and returning it the first week to September.
I am willing to accept 2 volunteer crew. A couple would be ideal, but two singles are fine. You are responsible for your own transportation to and from the boat. I can tell you how others have done it in the past, but I am not responsible for your travelling.
Duties would include:
1. Watch keeping 4 hours at a time. You may be at the helm. You would have immediate help should anything unusual arise. Resistance to seasickness is a plus.
2. Brief preparation of food. We trade off all duties.
3. Ability to do a day sail beforehand, and buy food (as part of a group)
4. If you are a complete beginner, it will be a strain on the experienced crew. These are not beginner waters.
Also, it is a dry boat. No alcohol, or smoking of any substance. Please inform the Captain of any Rx Drugs that you need to take just in case you are incapacitated and need them.

If you are with me to here, now for the good stuff:
1. The Pacific Northwest can be beautiful beyond imagining. Tall cliffs, magnificent oceans, whales and dolphins of every type. Great Salmon fishing. Truly a wilderness untamed by man.
If you are paying attention, crossing the Columbia bank and going around Cape Flattery are challenging and teach you a lot about tides, winds and current. They will make your inside navigation much better. And you have done it in a sailboat, not something too many can say. You will be using AIS, digital radar and a chartplotter to confirm what you see and feel from the ocean. If the opportunity shows itself, I also work on navigation by DR, land fixes, and sailing by the stars. This is 3-4 days of passage.

Interested? Please Personal Message me and we can start a dialog. And don't be disappointed if you are not chosen. This tends to be a sought after slot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	378.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	98808   Click image for larger version

Name:	friharbor.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	98810  

Attached Images

Old 13-03-2015, 09:11   #2

Re: It's that time of the Year again....

When is your estimated time of departure? ETD.
Old 13-03-2015, 09:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: It's that time of the Year again....

Hi Craig- as I mentioned we will leave the last week in July at the first available weather window. Tends to be Sunday or Monday. The journey back must be finished on Labor day weekend.