Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 16:27   #16

Boat: looking
Re: Going to Mexico . . .

Good god, man, the NW Pacific in December? Best of luck! I love the Porpoise design, always have/will. We'll be leaving Ensenada later this month, might see you in La Paz or around the SofC? Will keep an eye out for your pretty ship.
Old 14-11-2011, 16:53   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sounds like what i was told when i left sd in march---didnt find the promised northers, only had one high wind situation--- caught a lot of fishies for dinner, had a ball and enjoyed a 60+ kt breeze one day.....just north of cabo...zero wind cross sea of c and no fishies except turtles and sailfish and flying fish and one shark between cabo and mazatlan. but i didnt die.....LOL our gardens can handle about anything, an looove a good stiff breeze...prefrontal winds were made for our boats....
Old 15-11-2011, 09:19   #18

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sounds like what i was told when i left sd in march---didnt find the promised northers, only had one high wind situation--- caught a lot of fishies for dinner, had a ball and enjoyed a 60+ kt breeze one day.....just north of cabo...zero wind cross sea of c and no fishies except turtles and sailfish and flying fish and one shark between cabo and mazatlan. but i didnt die.....LOL our gardens can handle about anything, an looove a good stiff breeze...prefrontal winds were made for our boats....
Looking foreward to a good wind and some great sea's..I thrive on a strong sea and so does my boat...Capt. Bill.Arrrr...&%$@#%....
Old 15-11-2011, 09:23   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bill--your boat is mine on steroids--will be a great sail, and you will have a good time.
Old 21-11-2011, 15:48   #20

Date of departure? Crew terms and conditions? George

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillca View Post
I'm looking for a crew of eight (8) to go with me down to Mexico...I'm leaving Port Orchard,Washington going through the streights to the Pacific..Turning left and And shooting down the coast 30 miles off streight to San Fransico.This trip is not for the faint of heart..Very rough and cold out there.But also will be going down wind with a fallowing sea not a peace of cake but REALITY is a strong sailing vessel and loves the wind..If you have never sailed on a Porpoise hull you are in for a surprise...When I brought the ship up June 2010 in a very strong storm (Not the brightest thing to do)I was amazed at how well she handled..Not a drop of water came over the bow in 40' sea's.That was my test of what the boat could do and how I responded to my new boat in bad weather .Now I'm ready to take her down to warm water and weather If you have the adventure in your heart and think you might want to look us up.Respond ASAP as I 'm only taking (8) Very few and I mean very few people ever get the chance to sail one of these vessels.The Porpoise hull is truly a amazing rough water vessel.Come one and all and bring your long John's..Capt.Bill..(PS -- This boat is refered to as a Prirate ship in looks and style the cannon is pretty cool too....Arrrrr %$#*@&.
Old 22-11-2011, 18:39   #21

Capt Bill, do you have a # you can be reached?

also, can you shade a bit more detail - e.g. sail inventory, boat size and the timing to destination ports, to allow proper planning on my end.

I am SAS and sr First Aid certified 190lb bowman from New York with offshore racing and delivery experience.

pls contact me at doteq@yahoo.com

Cheers!
Dan
Old 22-11-2011, 20:34   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

As a former Porpoise owner I find your boat interesting. Can you tell me anything about her history? Who put the house on her? How long have you had her? etc. etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user61183_pic11140_1320889739.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	33931   Click image for larger version

Name:	16951_1177643885362_1356062020_30467424_3094716_n_1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	33932  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-15_14_04_42.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	33933  
Old 22-11-2011, 21:00   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

We've had the winds go to 70 knots twice in the last two weeks and though the entrance to Juan de Fuca is mellow tonight with 12 foot seas and 10 knots wind (the rain is pretty heavy right now) the bad weather is just beginning. Leaving in January? Be prepared for 70 knots and 30 foot seas at anytime, make sure you exit the strait on a calm day and take your seasickness pills.

Old 22-11-2011, 22:02   #24

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Hummingway, last summer through the straits I was in an ebb tide and a westerly wind. Pulled back in to Port Angeles. Where I was assured the seas in the strait never got bigger than six foot. I think your description is closer to the truth than the dock birds in PA
Old 22-11-2011, 22:22   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
Hummingway, last summer through the straits I was in an ebb tide and a westerly wind. Pulled back in to Port Angeles. Where I was assured the seas in the strait never got bigger than six foot. I think your description is closer to the truth than the dock birds in PA
My reading came from La Perouse Bank Bouy, there isn't anything to read right at the mouth of strait but it's a reasonably quiet night and the wind has gone 20 knots at Perouse and the seas are climbing; it's all open ocean from there to the the mouth. There were 8 foot seas in the Trincomali last week and that's just a short, narrow strait. I wouldn't leave for Mexico this time of year, though I might want too, but if someone is they better be ready for some pretty nasty stuff and the boat better be up for it too.

Old 26-11-2011, 20:23   #26

Hai, Good idea,
As I don't have US visa I will be able join you after crossing US waters; so let me know,
HappySailing,
S.Giridhar
Old 27-11-2011, 07:14   #27

I bought her two years ago.The cabin was put on in the SF bay area. It was done by a Arcaltectual firm don'tknow the name but it was spendy..It's a very good job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
As a former Porpoise owner I find your boat interesting. Can you tell me anything about her history? Who put the house on her? How long have you had her? etc. etc.
Old 27-11-2011, 07:16   #28

You can reach me at 360-440-9309.
.My cell #..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doteq View Post
Capt Bill, do you have a # you can be reached?

also, can you shade a bit more detail - e.g. sail inventory, boat size and the timing to destination ports, to allow proper planning on my end.

I am SAS and sr First Aid certified 190lb bowman from New York with offshore racing and delivery experience.

pls contact me at doteq@yahoo.com

Cheers!
Dan
Old 29-11-2011, 14:06   #29

Slight change of plans..I'm delaying my trip tell the end of March 2012.Why because I can and I want to take some time to myself.I'm going to Arizona and stay in my motor home and ride my harley.This is something that was hard to do in Washington because of weather.I would rather go down the coast in the warmer days with the sun in my face then have the rain all over me and my crew.I think this is a smart idea.But I still need thoughs who want to sail with me in March.I require that all who sails with me be on board at least two weeks before sailing so we can get to know each other.And get the boat set up for the sail.This should give you all a good time frame to plan.
Old 29-11-2011, 14:46   #30

How many people do you have on board ( pardon the pun ) so far to sail?

Tags
Mexico, mexico