Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 14:45   #1

Florida to Panama Crew Opportunity

I know this may be a bit last minute but sometimes things work out that way. I have a friend named Clive who’s a Kiwi (from New Zealand) who came to Miami last week to buy a boat. He was not going to look for crew until he actually purchased a boat and mid week last week he bought a beautiful, well found Morgan 46’ Ketch. He is in the midst of preparing the boat to sail initially to Panama and then will continue on to Australia where he actually lives now. He’s going to be leaving as soon as he finishes getting the boat ready, sometime next week or the week after (April 17th on) alone but would prefer to have someone else along for the trip if they had some additional sailing experience and were up for an ocean passage. Clive is a super nice guy who is not well versed in sailing so anyone with additional experience would be welcomed. The boat is very solid and has just returned from a tour of the Western Caribbean with its previous knowledgeable owners. If you have any interest in making this passage with him, you can contact him directly for more information at (305)-610-1665. He does not have email at the moment as he is in the middle of getting a new laptop but he asked me if I would post this message for him in case anyone was interested in going along. Wish I could!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:46   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
I'm not looking to flame this post so don't get me wrong BUT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmorin View Post
He is in the midst of preparing the boat to sail initially to Panama and then will continue on to Australia
Quote:
Clive is a super nice guy who is not well versed in sailing
Is this really a good idea for someone who is "not well versed in sailing"? You CAN die out there if you don't know what your doing.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 10-04-2008, 08:07   #3

I had the same concerns when I read the post. Might be a touch of naivete concerning what's involved in prepping a new to you boat for ocean sailing. A professional delivery skipper could do it in a week or two.
Quote:
he actually purchased a boat mid week last week.... He’s going to be leaving as soon as he finishes getting the boat ready, sometime next week or the week after
Best of luck on the voyage Clive.

Tags
florida, Panama, Panama Canal