Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 18:39   #1

Thailand Captains

So, in light of my current income tax situation I'm planning to buy a boat within a few months. I have been doing a lot of research and I'm leaning towards a 40-45 foot catamaran. Only one problem...I don't really know how to sail.

Since I'm already going to be in Thailand for 30 days or so. I'm looking for someone who has a boat and is willing to give me a week long (one on one) course on how to sail...if its a live-aboard thing even better. I've checked prices with the ASA school in Patts and their prices are just silly....Blue water in Florida has a week-long catamaran course for 1800 USD that I'm going to take once I'm back from Thailand but I just want to get a jump start on things....since I have the free time. I'm not really interested in 'ASA certifications' because they are not needed in the USA. I'm interested in getting the experience necessary to sail well.

If you know how to sail and want to maybe charter a boat for a week...I'll pay for it no problem....as long as the price is not silly.....maybe do a trip to Malaysia. I'll provide the food, beer and Soi 6 barfines (once the trip is over).

THIS IS A SERIOUS REQUEST!!!! I'm a serious person and very easy to get along with. I'm a dentist. I have been blue water cruising before (Nordhavn 55). Please, PM me or just post on the thread.

I will pay you 600-800 USD in cash depends on what kind of boat you have...

If you have your boat somewhere other than Pattaya, that is fine. I don't mind traveling to your location.

I WILL BE IN PATTAYA : August 4th - September 2nd.
Old 09-04-2008, 19:38   #2

Boat: next
Hi elcub....
I've chartered from Thai Marine (they have changed the name since then?). The Thai captain on Catalya is a great guy and I've used him several times... even through the tsunami... four miles off shore, luckily!!!!

Anyway good luck!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 19:40   #3

Boat: next
forgot........... they are in Phukett
Old 09-04-2008, 20:02   #4

I found a small charter company in Pattaya/Jompthien a couple of years ago and corresponded with them. They sounded like they had a pretty clean outfit. Our schedule changed and we spent longer in Saigon that we had planned so we did not use them due to time constraints. If I can find the info on them, I will post it.

Tell the young ladies on Walking Street hello.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I have a delivery skipper/charter boat captain friend in Thailand (he's Canadian) that might be interested. PM me and I will get you in contact.
Old 12-04-2008, 15:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
I found a small charter company in Pattaya/Jompthien a couple of years ago and corresponded with them. They sounded like they had a pretty clean outfit. Our schedule changed and we spent longer in Saigon that we had planned so we did not use them due to time constraints. If I can find the info on them, I will post it.

Tell the young ladies on Walking Street hello.

"Miss you Mak Mak" they would say
Old 12-04-2008, 17:59   #7

Boat: Warwick Cardinal Centre Cockpit 46 - S/V "Spirit"
I would say that you are not doing the man a favour.

What do we get now? The next train wreck? Thanks to you?

What are you fools doing? Letting him believe he can learn to sail a 45’cat in one week?

Sneuman, what are you thinking? What is this? You are a bloody moderator here!

Are you willing to pay for his life with your own assets? They have it in writing!

If this is the way the Cruising Forum works, I’m gone.
Old 12-04-2008, 18:13   #8

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
There is a good (ASA) sailing school in Yachthaven marina Phuket. Run by Rob Williams, an Australian. Name of the school is YachtPro.
Old 12-04-2008, 18:26   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Does this not strike anyone else as being somewhat of a con?

A guy will pay $1,800.00 in the US for a shared one week course but is offering about 1/3 of that for a one on one cruise in remote Thailand for another cruise and learn.

Of course depending on the number of bars you visit and the “commissions” paid, you may enjoyed being screwed!
Old 12-04-2008, 18:31   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyRaven View Post
What are you fools doing? Letting him believe he can learn to sail a 45’cat in one week?
I don't think anyone believes that including the OP and you are the only one who is suggesting that possibility.
Old 12-04-2008, 20:05   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
elcubanito,
You cannot get the experience necessary to attempt what you want to do within the confines of one week. You don't learn how to fly a four engine jet within a week either. Experience and not just the boat, is what makes a knowledgeable and safe skipper..

David

Life begins where land ends.
Old 13-04-2008, 04:18   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

A guy will pay $1,800.00 in the US for a shared one week course but is offering about 1/3 of that for a one on one cruise in remote Thailand for another cruise and learn.

Of course depending on the number of bars you visit and the “commissions” paid, you may enjoyed being screwed!
Not sure whatcha getting at here? No idea what the market rate is in either the USA or Thailand for what OP wants, but as he is already going to be in Thailand makes sense to me to try and find something cheaper - in Thailand they do "Normal" stuff as well as the bars and tarts - they also have temples, and umm...stuff.....and **** like that. So I am told

I was thinking about doing something similar myself a while back, my thinking was to head down to Phuket and simply chat to Westerners on the pontoon looking for a cash supplement to their cruising kitty - yer get a chance to look over the boat before jumping onboard and assess the skipper - but the odds are he will know stuff worth learning from if the boat sailed to Thailand......and if yer get things wrong just switch boats after a day or so.

Not to say of course that their are no proffessional operators in Thailand - in addition to on Walking Street .
Old 13-04-2008, 06:11   #13

Boat: Warwick Cardinal Centre Cockpit 46 - S/V "Spirit"
Quote:
I don't think anyone believes that including the OP and you are the only one who is suggesting that possibility.
Perhaps I misunderstood the man. In that case, my apologies.
Old 13-04-2008, 09:30   #14

WOA GUYS!!!! SLOW DOWN!!!!

I know I won't learn how to sail a 45 Cat in the confines of a week! But, I need to start somewhere....I'm going to be in LOS for a month so I just want to take some one on one classes from someone that is willing. After I return from Thailand I will take another week worth of training in the US...and when I get my boat I will always have someone qualified with me on board will I get the hang of things.

Falang have a really hard time getting jobs in Thailand...its almost impossible.

The price that I'm offering is more than fair given that its 20,000 baht. The typical rent in East Pattaya or in Soi Boukhao or even in Jontiem can be found for 10,000-15,000 a month. Typical Thai earns 5000 baht a month. 20,000 baht will get you 20 LTs with your typical bargirl. Its a good amount of money for Thailand.
Old 13-04-2008, 09:56   #15

Quote:

Looks like someone got suckered in SEA and is bitter about it. I dont even think you know what you're talking about.

Tags
Thailand