Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2012, 14:45   #16

Boat: Cal-Jensen 34 w Yanmar 3
Send a message via Skype™ to sonAdmiralson
Re: ATTENTION FL. BAREBOAT CHARTER CERT. CAPTAINS: FREE USE OF BOAT FOR 3 WEEKS

Scott, a recently re-packed gland nut was not torqued sufficiently. The boat took on water through the propshaft (also new) and the bilge pump failed (Now replaced) I flew all the way to Nassau with my fiance and back to Lima. I do however appreciate the information we exchanged on the phone. Im only about five thousand dollars overbudget, about right for a yacht, wouldnt you say? I hope I dont have to sell my motorboat and Im sorry I cant afford your services, which according to my calculations were just about five thousand dollars for the delivery. I know one of the intentions of this forum is to assure the safety and security of its fellow members and I respect that. Had I hired you, I would have lost a lot more money, no offense
Old 19-07-2012, 15:47   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: FL. BAREBOAT CHARTER CERT. CAPTAINS: FREE USE OF BOAT FOR 3 WEEKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I have deleted 9 posts from this thread. If any poster is wondering why then reread the rules, particularly the "Be nice" rule.

If you have a problem with any post then the correct response is to use the triangular "Report post" button in the lower left hand corner of each box.

The OP is asking for help. If you can't help then no response is needed.
With all due respect, that is not the way it came through, and why I suggested that clarity be provided in one of my posts which is deleted.

It appears that the OP now is providing details which are more conducive to obtaining help, rather then confusing the situation further.
Old 19-07-2012, 16:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I have deleted 9 posts from this thread. If any poster is wondering why then reread the rules, particularly the "Be nice" rule.

If you have a problem with any post then the correct response is to use the triangular "Report post" button in the lower left hand corner of each box.

The OP is asking for help. If you can't help then no response is needed.
I came back to delete my own post "bridge..." and it was gone... which was fine with me... but now I see it is not gone... and too late to delete now ? Huh?????????? I'l put my bridge in the classifieds.... :>)

Old 24-07-2012, 02:31   #19

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40
Re: exp crew needed soon for Fl- Bahamas Vacation

I just delivered a Benetaeu 32.5 from Texas to Miami via Panama City through the Okechobee water way. It was an ugly sail Louisiana to PC but quite nice afterwards. Okechobee has limited bridge clearance at one point. We did the trip with only two on board so I would think five aboard would be too many on such a small boat. I hope you have as much fun as we did.
Old 24-07-2012, 07:13   #20

Boat: Cal-Jensen 34 w Yanmar 3
Send a message via Skype™ to sonAdmiralson
o waterway

hi, any details regarding the crossing through the waterway would be appreciated, such as a recommended schedule. Did you have any trouble anchoring for a rest? My airdraft is only 42 feet. At five knots or so, how long to go through, its my understanding that the lochs are only open business hours. How many hour loch to loch etc. Did you catch any tail or headwind? Or is it just dead calm in there... thanks
Old 24-07-2012, 09:50   #21

The crossing from Boca Grand to Stuart will take three days. We overnighted at Cabbage Key after the gulf crossing and really enjoyed the resturant and showers. Then anchored in Ft Meyers downtown near the 41/I75 bridges. Then its a very long run all the way to Clewiston where you have to overnight at the cool little marina (forgot the name) before heading across the lake. Have a great spot light as you will probably not get there before dark and make a res in advance for dock space. Then its another long day across the lake to Stuart where we anchored again. Its beautiful all the way. I have several PDFs of the route I can send you if you shoot me an email to chrislaletin at mac dot com. A google search will get you lots of info about the waterway. Remember there is one bridge at 48 feet, I think we were close to 50 feet with antenna and we scooted under OK but the level was down a few feet. In the dry season lock opening are restricted so best to do you homework ahead so you dont get half way and then have to turn around.
Old 24-07-2012, 10:11   #22

I noticed this link regarding lock closures Southwest Florida Online - Sunday Morning News: Locks Closing On Okeechobee Waterway
The Moore Haven Lock will close starting on June 11 to complete installation of the Manatee Protection System (MPS). The MPS is intended to protect endangered manatees that might be swimming in the vicinity of the lock gates. The lock is expected to be closed for about two months while installation is completed.
Old 25-07-2012, 05:33   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

Hey.. Capt. I understand your situation.. I personally cannot help you out.. But Maybe My Parents can... They are on their 45' Huckins in Labelle (on the Okeechobee Waterway) and are retired... They may be interested in taking your Yawl across and meeting you in Nassau for a mini vacation and in the Bahamas for a few weeks... (we moved to the Bahamas when I was 7 years old by boat and lived there for 5-6 years) My Parents know the waters... I have sent them your information and link here... Will PM you if their interested... LOL.. your 33 might be a little small as their last sailing vessel was 106' Spanish schooner...

Tags
Bahamas, bareboat, charter, crew