Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 12:03   #1

Experience Needed Young couple

Hi, I'm a 25 yr old looking to get some sailing experience. My wife is 28 and she is looking to do the same. We are both in great physical shape and we reside currently in Maine. I have been a cook for several years and also have a degree in Machining making me somewhat mechanically inclined, my wife currently teaches martial arts and also has experience cooking. We are hoping to learn as much as we can before attempting a long voyage. I have been reading alot about the art of sailing but lack any real experience. Any suggestions twards getting any real experience I'm sure will help. Thanks Dan
Old 10-02-2012, 13:27   #2

Re: Experience Needed Young couple

You can learn a lot about sailing by crewing on some local racers' boat. That will not teach you jack about passagemaking, but you'll sure find out how to make a boat sail. Got a yacht club around there? If you go to your local YC and express interest you probably can find a boat that will take you on. You should first learn the terminology so when asked to grab the halyard and hoist the mainsail you'll know what the hell they are talking about.
Old 14-02-2012, 07:32   #3

Boat: Jeanneau,Sun Odyssey,47 feet
Re: Experience Needed Young couple

Hi Dan, we are a franco american family looking for crew here in the Caribbean. We are currently in Puerto Rico and looking for crex to the Dominican republic, Jamaica, and Central America. My husband has been sailing all of his life and loves to share his knowledge, he's a good teacher; Oue sailboat is 47 feet, so we aren't too cramped up. We left France the first of September 2011 and have been traveling since. If you are interested please write hear or directly to my mail eklinebibal@gmail.com
Thanks and hope to hear from you, Elizabeth