Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 05:55   #1

Boat: Boatless
Crew Wanted: St Thomas, USVI

Over the last 25 years sailing one of my greatest sailing pleasures has been taking people sailing: beginers, experts, old (oldest 78), young (youngest 5 months) and 20 Sea Scouts in areas as diverse as entire eastern seaboard of US, Florida and the Keys, Bahamas, Canada, Bermuda, Caribbean, England, Ireland, Scotland and France; the total is now over 120 and many are now very good friends. In the last 7 yrs at least 12,000 of the last 15,000 sea miles have involved guests.

I have three weeks, last 2 in Feb and 1st in March, while my wife is back in the US, when I need crew and I can take people sailing...

If you are a couple who are trying to decide if cruising is for you and you need experience you will be most welcome for a week of daysailing and at least one 50-150 mile return passage...St Thomas to St Croix, St Martin or Antigua going where the wind allows.

Boat is a well equipped 55 ft, 6 berth, off-shore cutter with liferaft, spinnaker, more electronics than the CIA etc.

I really enjoy teaching what is important and not what is theoretical: navigation, reefing, storm tatics, maneuvering under sail, use of poles, MOB etc all of which sharpens my skills. No experince required but enthusiasm and a desire to learn is mandetory.

No smoking and definately no drugs!!!

No cost except your food and drinks.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 09-12-2009, 05:59   #2

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
what a great offer..............
you are going to heaven ........... forsure

I on the other hand I wont see there
Old 09-12-2009, 11:21   #3

My close friend and I will be travelling south from New York starting in mid January, to hopefully end up on Culebra, PR by the end of the month or early February. If we can find a cheap way to get to St. Thomas, we would be ecstatic to cruise around with you!

He has been sailing his whole life.. he grew up on Vinal Haven in Maine (off the coast of Rockland). I have done my share of sailing as well, cruising the Caribbean on a 100 foot schooner with Ocean Classroom and spending summers crewing on small friendship sloops on Mount Desert Island in Maine.

It sounds as though this may be our best shot at sailing in the Caribbean on our modest budgets!

We're both in our mid twenties, and we just graduated from the same school. He's an ornithologist, and I tend toward marine mammals and insects. We're both jolly and enjoy life, and only want a good time!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:23   #4

Phil....sent you an email through this site........Ken
Old 09-12-2009, 11:54   #5

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Phil,

I'm interested! would likely come solo.... Do you want a commitment for all three weeks? Let me know.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:01   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK OFF View Post
what a great offer..............
you are going to heaven ........... forsure

I on the other hand I wont see there
Funny!..

I agree with the great offer part...Good on ya!.. Wish it could be us taking you up on it... some day maybe.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 09-12-2009, 13:42   #7

Phil, I think you're gonna be flooded with requests. I have an offer to race the Heiniken this year and can't even get the time off for that.

Work sucks!
Old 09-12-2009, 16:30   #8

Boat: Yorktown 35
Barnaclebones, Culebra is only 24 miles from St. Thomas. you can either sail there or catch one of the cheap sea planes that fly between PR and USVI.
Old 09-12-2009, 16:46   #9

yeaH, i've made the passage before... granted, it was on a 100 foot vessel, but we beat against the wind the whole way.

it probably is our best bet for a cheap crossing... but ill look into airfare..

Old 09-12-2009, 18:19   #10

Boat: Yorktown 35
Seaborne Airlines: US Virgin Island Charters Travel St Thomas Ferry Airline In Puerto Rico Travel

usually pretty inexpensive and fun flight between the islands.
Old 09-12-2009, 20:10   #11

Your offer

Moondancer, I would love to join you - but I cannot break free until mid-March (8-9 days), mid-June (2+ weeks) and mid-July (3-4 weeks).

Actually I am free right now until Dec. 23.

Please call me if you are looking for crew immediately or during the other dates.

Thanks,

Gary
706-599-7313
Old 11-12-2009, 13:49   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon
We are very interested in joining you for a week or so. Getting in a longer crossing would be a great experience for us. Our dates are open at this time. I sent an e-mail also.
Lennie and Carol Hawkins
Old 11-12-2009, 21:14   #13

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Dang Moondancer...you sure do know how to get the lurkers out of the wood work..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 13-12-2009, 21:05   #14

Potential crew

Hi,

I would be interested in crewing for the day sailing and a short passage for a week or two. I have been crewing and skippering for day sailing and some club racing in the Great Lakes for the past four years (approximately 600 hours )and is now ready to take on a stronger challenge. As I am a long time member of a sailing club with full access to shared boats, my long term goal is to be a competant blue water sailor on a Tayana 37 or 42.
I am an engineer by trade and is quite handy. Non smoker and fit.
My better half is a reluctant sailer, so I don't think she is quite ready for the week long sailing (I asked already). So far I have only been able to convince her to day sail with me. We have the time to learn and approach sailing in a methodical way to get all the experience needed to manage the risk associated with water sailing">blue water sailing and circumnavigate the world eventually in a Tayana.

Stan.
Old 15-12-2009, 20:03   #15

I'd like to learn more

Hi,

I am experience crew and novice skipper from Boston MA. I have sailed St Martin, Antigua and St Barts. I really enjoyed the trip and would be thrilled to return and learn more about the area while expanding my sailing skills.

My schedule is flexible. I report to myself and the CEO has given me permission to sail as much as I can. Your plan sounds great.

One thing - I am single. Certainly I could get a salty dog to tag along but I am hoping that singles are welcome on your cruise?

Please contact me so we may learn more about each otherand determine if this opportunity is a good fit.

Thank You!