Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 06:43   #1
mct

Boat: catamaran, 50'
ARC 2011 Las Palmas to St. Lucia

I am looking for one or two crew (m/f) to join (so far) 3 of us for the ARC 2011, making total 5. This will be my 10th transatlantic trip, and the boat's (Mojomo) 11th. The arc leaves from las palmas in november, goes to St lucia.

You need to be bright, intelligent, and with enough sailing experience to know that you don't much get seasick. You don't need to be whizz hot sailor cos we don't change sails every ten minutes like racing - in fact we prolly change sails as much on the whole 2-week (ish) trip as an racer changes in a wekend of racing.

You also need to know how to cook, cos we share cooking, so one day every four days you are "mum" and make lunch and dinner and tidy up etc. On the other three days the watch system is 3 hours on, 6 hours off. I'm on call 24/7 to help with navigation, sailing, cooking, anything. Oh, and you also need to speak English really quite well cos otherwise it's potentially dangerous and definitely a bit dull. Also it's a drawback if you hold strong religious or political or other views which you can't sensibly justify, so there's no praying on the boat unless the wind is solidly above 50knots. You also need to be young or young at heart. Jokes are okay, including religious ones such that one about the guy who used to pray for a new car but then realised that God doesn't work like that so he stole a car and then prayed for forgiveness. It's okay to be american or even canadian BUT the words "awesome" and "ironic" are banned on the boat, unless discussing something actually awesome such as a the Grand Canyon, or some event which was actually ironic rather than merely unfortunate.

It's not a race really, but we want to shift along - if there's not enough wind to do 6knots we might motorsail, so if you're a purist sailor this ain't for you. Towards the end of the trip there'll be squalls of 30-40knots and the boat will likely/hopefully surf downwind at up to 20knots. Don't come if this sounds too scary for you.

costs: £450 for 4 weeks inc ARC Crew fee and food on board and fuel and marina fees to join the boat on 13th November (or 14th is ok) and leave the boat on or before 11th December. I used to "share out" the costs but then some people were a bit aha! but i didn't have any chocolate, and so on. Doesn't include your flights to Las Palmas on Gran Canaria and back from St Lucia, nor food+drinks ashore.

ARC departs midday Sunday 20th Nov - we need the week beforehand to show-how/learn the boat, go shopping, and have lots of ARC parties including the Mojomo Dock Party. Not a dry boat but not a drinkathon, apart from the bits at each end, of course. Tons of safety gear on the boat plus generator and watermaker. And a disco ball.

Pm me or better is email me noteasytoremember at hotmail dot com with the sort of stuff you'd cook, and all about yerself, and perhaps a couple of jokes if you like, anything to show that you aren't a deathly dull boring. I gotta choose crew off emails which usually works fine or very fine, with only a few foulups. If you arrive at Las Palmas and turn out to be unpleasantly deranged lunatic then I might say you can't come and give you the £450 back. Of course, if you turn out to be a pleasantly deranged lunatic - no problem.

Oh, and the other people on the trip are me as skipper, matt, 51, and other half Dee (f) who is 43 and Nick fiftyish who is a nice chap also a brit, runs a computer company and is a sailing instructor too. Actually Nick is also the guy who was skippering another boat and i asked him why he had spun 720 when tacking and he said it was becos his crew was rubbish at which i sed ooh, not very good skipper to shift responsibility like that, and he sed ok then, it was all entirely my fault - I didn't know that the crew were so rubbish. Again, if you can't cope with this standard of intelligent foolishness, this isn't the trip for you.
Old 13-09-2011, 02:23   #2

Re: ARC 2011 Las Palmas to St Lucia

Howdy MCT,
Potentially interested in the ARC crew position, will send email.
cheers
Old 13-09-2011, 06:41   #3

Boat: Gib sea 43

hope you fill those water tanks this time and not rely on that waternotmaker
Old 21-09-2011, 06:15   #4
mct

Boat: catamaran, 50'

position filled now - is there a button to press to dump the advert

...and by the way, what a rather fab list of trips this is on CF - perhaps it even needs software change to list them one per line cos i ended up on page 2 after only a few days!!
Old 26-09-2011, 11:54   #5

Re: ARC 2011 Las Palmas to St. Lucia

and it would be great if you could post your resume without having an IT degree...(PHD at that!)

Tags
arc, las palmas