Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2012, 06:26   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish
Talking Re: 2 girls need a one-way to virgin islands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Here's one in Orrum, just an hour and a half from you, with trailer! Sell the trailer before you go for a bit of extra cash.

25' steury cuddy cabin

25' steury cuddy cabin - $3500 (orrum)

Date: 2012-06-27, 11:58AM EDT
Reply to: x9xp9-3104482933@sale.craigslist.org

motor was just rebuilt it might have an hour on it. have clean and clear title. boat is water ready could use some cosmetic work nothing major call or txt james @ 9103012819 or sandra at 9103012820 thanks for looking...

Have a great trip!
Your steering them down the path of lots of trouble suggesting a boat with an I/O.... If your going that route, try finding them a 27-30' diesel boat... More economical and actually will have re-sell value..
Old 29-06-2012, 07:19   #77
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: 2 girls need a one-way to virgin islands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Change the title on your thread to

"2 virgins seeking 3 way to the islands".

Should get a response on that

Did I just make myself into a male chauvinist pig? OH what the hell.
Male Chauvinist Pig? - I think that very much depends on the gender of the 2 virgins. and the dog .
Old 29-06-2012, 07:50   #78

We have been looking at boats haha but I didn't dare mention it here.... What about gas? Does anyone know how much it might cost to get down there in this type of boat
Old 29-06-2012, 07:52   #79

Boat: nothing
Old 29-06-2012, 08:00   #80

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Very rough guesstimate: maybe 4 mpg at displacement speed (slow). 2000 mile trip. So 500 gallons. YMMV.

Also need to work out how much fuel you can carry, where you can refuel, etc. This is where a sailboat starts to look much better.

I hope you have a good friend with boating expertise who is willing to make the trip with you if you're really thinking about this. There's plenty that can go wrong -- weather, motor, etc.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:11   #81

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheabutta View Post
We have been looking at boats haha but I didn't dare mention it here.... What about gas? Does anyone know how much it might cost to get down there in this type of boat
I don't what you have to do for the next 2 months, but if you spent that time working hard at finding the right partner, and learning about navigation, weather, seamanship, etc you might really have a shot at a decent adventure, especially if you're flexible, have a little source of money, and don't mind making some detours.

In fact, by the time you reach that point, you'll likely forget about joining up your friends in the BVI. They'll be begging to come with you!

4 months? That's even better. Lots of time for learning and practicing. Just don't get in over your head.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:20   #82

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

That is a tough sail. Too early is toying with Hurricanes. Too late, winter storms. Gulf Stream eddys and rogue waves.
Coming UP in the spring can actually be "a ride" .
Your chances of success and your idea are bad, imo.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:41   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheabutta View Post
2 girls and 1 dog need a one way ride to the US Virgin Islands... We don't have any sailing experience, help! Thanks
Shea & Amanda
That route/trip is NOT for beginners.

KEEP it SIMPLE and SAFE = FLY......probably non-stop out of Raleigh, definitely Miami - shop early to get cheapest fare especially since you are going one way

Only a few hours, arrive rested & same day, save significant $$, Happy Hour in USVI.
Start sailing adventures in USVI with day sails & dog left ashore. Take sailing lessons in NC this summer to prepare with dog left ashore.

Might not be as adventurous but at least risk & expenses will be significantly minimized. Yet there is entertainment in all the suggestions
Old 29-06-2012, 08:59   #84

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrene View Post
First the problem was moving and taking stuff with her. then it was the suitcase. Then it was the dog. I'm not saying that these girls are somehow involved in anything illegal, I'm just saying that they ACT like very inexpericed criminals. This actually sounds like a bad episode of the TV show "Locked Up Abroad." I just sayin'.....

Sounds like you watch too much TV sitting in your couch at home.... I just sayin'...
Old 29-06-2012, 09:08   #85
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Oh comeon now, Shea. You've finally given it away, one of you girls is all of 17, just getting out of high school and looking to run away with the family dog.

Really, if you have to ask about things like gas? There are MUCH BIGGER PROBLEMS you don't just steal a boat and run a thousand miles with it. This isn't Selma and Lousie, and if you remember, that didn't end so well either.

Work on getting some money, buy the tickets, give it up. Yes, there are always ways to charm/bum/hitch all over the globe but once you make that "two plus a big dog" your options really shrink, and finding a commercial sponsor....requires an awful lot of creativity.

I do wish you good luck, I just don't want to see you make the Evening Nooze the hard way.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:09   #86

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post
That route/trip is NOT for beginners.

KEEP it SIMPLE and SAFE = FLY......probably non-stop out of Raleigh, definitely Miami - shop early to get cheapest fare especially since you are going one way

Only a few hours, arrive rested & same day, save significant $$, Happy Hour in USVI.
Start sailing adventures in USVI with day sails & dog left ashore. Take sailing lessons in NC this summer to prepare with dog left ashore.

Might not be as adventurous but at least risk & expenses will be significantly minimized. Yet there is entertainment in all the suggestions
If these guys say it's not safe, then it's not safe. It is true that you will be wedging between Hurricanes and Winter. You would have to use judgement, and be flexible.

Inexperience + desperation = disaster

I've been traveling my entire life, and I can tell you the only way you will be able to travel with a dog routinely is in an RV, or in your own boat.

If you are traveling infrequently, then airlines will take a dog, but at that size it will be in CARGO only. There is a risk of death, though small. There is a greater risk of duress, depending on your dog's constitution. Its best to pack his travel kennel with some foam padding and warm blankets as it can get cold inside a cargo bay.

Once you get off the plane, then you have to tote that kennel with you.

Even if you have a pocket pooch, the fee to carry him onboard is $125 - EACH WAY. It's a total scam, it's nearly as much as a coach fare. You could try to sneak him aboard, which can work if you have the right gear about half the time, but you risk getting caught each time you change planes.

If this is going to be a regular thing for you, an RV or boat will be the way to go, but ocean crossings are not to be taken lightly, especially when experienced sailors are saying it's not safe.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:10   #87

Boat: In between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebell View Post
Sounds like you watch too much TV sitting in your couch at home.... I just sayin'...
OOooo Burn!!!

Sheabutta, I commend you and your friend's adventurous spirit. Don't let the negative posts discourage your spirit (Take it from me, I posted a thread about hearing down in August, and was rightfully educated...Thank's everyone).

That said, for a first time trip, I would take the seasoned advice provided here and fly down, or take a one way cruise ship to your destination. I've taken a newbie or two onto the ocean for their first trips, and even they were shocked by such a new experience. Ocean sailing is really something one needs to work toward to properly aclimate their body and mind. It sounds like you girls (and dog) will have tons of fun and adventure once your get down there.

Best of luck!!!
Old 29-06-2012, 09:13   #88

Boat: In between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Oh comeon now, Shea. You've finally given it away, one of you girls is all of 17, just getting out of high school and looking to run away with the family dog.
Wait... Where did this come from
Old 29-06-2012, 10:51   #89

My bad on Continental, it is now United that flies pets with special care. We fly our labradoodle a couple of times a year with no problem in cargo, he's too big for the cabin. Sheabutta, listen to the advice, fly and enjoy the islands, maybe find a boat ride home int he spring when you have some sailing under your belt and under the dog's collar. Even experienced sea-going dogs have problems, no poop or pee for 48 hours and the like.
Old 29-06-2012, 11:54   #90
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

Hannah on 'Rita T', On a Whitby 42 in Bermuda..... St. Georges perhaps??? Very Nice..!!!