Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 07:32   #32

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Wanted: 38+ liveaboard sailboat, center cockpit, aft cabin

As you can see from the list of boats for sale I provided that what you're looking for is possible. All but the first are in Florida. If you're really serious go look at every one of them. With every boat you look at you'll learn more about what you like or don't like & what you can expect to get at what price. All of these boats will get you to the Bahamas if they're in good condition & that's what you want to look for, good condition. Hopefully you've budgeted for repairs. A new suit of sails can run over $10,000. A new engine can run $15,000 with installation. As previously mentioned every repair will cost more than you think & if you're doing the work yourself, which you'd better be at this price point, I'd quadruple the amount of time you think it will take. One thing to keep in mind, the smaller the boat the smaller the costs. I can't stress this enough. Big boats cost a lot to repair & maintain. Nothing will bring home the truth of the saying, "you don't own your possessions, they own you" more than owning a big boat.
Old 07-05-2016, 16:19   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakanaBahama View Post
Wanted: 38+ liveaboard sailboat, center cockpit, aft cabin for $20k

Your expertise is needed! We are searching for our live aboard sailboat. For months we've searched the online resources, Indiantown Marina, Harbortown Marina - Fort Pierce, FL and neighboring marinas. Where else can we search and find our diamond in the rough?

Your salty sage is greatly appreciated.

We sold it all in California, are here to buy our sailboat and sail to the Bahamas and beyond. Mind helping out a couple dreamers please?

Much Aloha!
You are seriously short of money.
Old 07-05-2016, 16:45   #34
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

If you don't mind a ten day cruise down the Tennessee tombigbee, there is a nice looking Columbia 36 at green turtle bay marina in kentucky. I haven't looked closely at it, but she sure does pretty. Asking price is 18K
Old 08-05-2016, 04:21   #35

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:

Your expertise is needed! We are searching for our live aboard sailboat. For months we've searched the online resources, Indiantown Marina, Harbortown Marina - Fort Pierce, FL and neighboring marinas. Where else can we search and find our diamond in the rough?

We sold it all in California, are here to buy our sailboat and sail to the Bahamas and beyond. Mind helping out a couple dreamers please?

Much Aloha!
2002 Beneteau 393 for sale. Not a center cockpit, but a dream. See the classifieds on CruisersForum. My email is Atropos393@verizon.net.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:10   #36

Hi, I have a fully equipped 38ft steel boat on the hard in Panama if you are interested.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:46   #37

Boat: Scout 30

This is an awesome boat:

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bod/5505264784.html
Old 10-05-2016, 05:51   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Try "National Liquidators" it is a repo site in Florida. Most boats are located in Ft Lauderdale. They usually have a few cheap sailboats available, and the possibility to bid and win a boat at auction cheap may be a good way to get more mileage out of your $20k budget.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:39   #39

Quote:

Much Aloha!
There is a Irwin 38c/c for sale on Ebay 'sailboats 38ft+ for $14999 in Florida east coast
Old 15-05-2016, 08:16   #40

Boat: Moody 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
There is a Irwin 38c/c for sale on Ebay 'sailboats 38ft+ for $14999 in Florida east coast
Another Irwin project boat for $15,000.
1983 Irwin Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 15-05-2016, 13:16   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
Try "National Liquidators" it is a repo site in Florida. Most boats are located in Ft Lauderdale. They usually have a few cheap sailboats available, and the possibility to bid and win a boat at auction cheap may be a good way to get more mileage out of your $20k budget.
I live near National and have been there many times.

I have never seen a cheap sailboat there no matter how much they are asking.
Old 16-05-2016, 12:30   #42

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

You asked for other search avenues/ideas. This one I have used on a number of low dollar boat purchases in Southern California when we were buying/fixing/flipping...

Establish a relationship with a good boat broker to bird dog for you. No, don't talk to the mega yacht sellers as you won't get the time of day from them. Find a long time in the business person who consistently lists/sells boats in the 30 to 50k range. Tell them your situation. Be straight with them. Tell them you will add an extra 1k bonus (or so) to their commission for helping you scout out a bargain. Show them the color of your money. Flash them a copy of a bank statement so they know you are serious as they get "dreamers" all the time. It may take you a while to find the right broker but when you do, that person will be worth the effort.

The last boat we bought, (2012) was listed for 47.5k. It was a divorce sale.A 41' 1985 aft cabin. In nice shape with older electronics but the kicker was all the canvass and interior upholstery was yellow. Bright yellow! And there was a LOT of yellow. (hey, if your canvas is yellow, don't beat me up.) Just saying, most boat buyers would not pick yellow. So... the boat had sat for awhile.

Bottom line, our broker called us and said the owners were in a bind and wanted it gone. So... we offered 20k. Owners had heart failure, felt insulted and told us where to go. 3 weeks later, we bought the boat for 23.5k.

Cleaned her up. Added new varnish here and there. Changed the exterior canvass to a more neutral color and toned down the interior yellow with cushions and coverings. We sold the boat 6 weeks later for 38.5k.
So... they are out there.

My question to you is... Do you have any prior boat rehab experience or are you a newbie? If a newbie, you better get yourself a salty dog mentor or as they say... your shorts are in for a skinning. (read that as "honey, how much do we have now in this 20k boat??? Answer... 50k and climbing)

A great bird dog broker or old salt mentor is worth their weight in gold.

Good luck with your search.
Old 16-05-2016, 16:16   #43

Boat: 41' Islander Freeport

Thank you, Mahalo & Grazi!! I greatly appreciate your Salty Sage, humor, encouragement, experience but most especially the shout outs to the birds and dogs of this wind blown, sun kissed dream! Luckily my husband is a boat man, engine man, fix it man, handy man with his hands man, so we're prepared for work. Thank you again! Cheers mate & Aloha! Here's to all of us finding our treasures!
Old 18-05-2016, 18:24   #44

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

try green cove springs , last year there were many 100's of boats sitting up on the hard...3 or 4 yards next to each other, north fl. near Jacksonville...
there was an Irwin 37 aft cabin with a new yanmar for sale for quite some time in the central florida area...did you look at that one..asking 25k I think...it was on craigslist tampa for a while...you really need to hunt to get a seaworthy sound quality boat for only 20k...short of a small miracle...they do happen on rare occasion,. if you stick to a 38 ft aft cabin,...you need to be prepared to put in lots of hard labor with associated yard fees and lots of $ for materials for refit, upgrades or just plain fixin... are you prepared for this?...
Good luck...
wha dat aloha? we be chillin mon...
Old 25-05-2016, 19:53   #45

I very similar situation for Fla. gulf , could share info. Have been looking and researching for 4 months and getting closer. David.klineco@gmail. com

Tags
cabin, center cockpit, cockpit, liveaboard, sail, sailboat, wanted