Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 14:25   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Nor'Sea 27

mebbe. I like the rear cabin though!

Also make sure the ngin isn't underpowered. I noticed this when looking at some.

Remember, most of them are kits.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:36   #17

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

I looked at an aft-cabin one in northern Massachusetts last year when I was boat shopping. Neat layout, but the aft cabin does not connect to the forward cabin. So you cross the cockpit and crawling down the hole to hit the bunk. It seemed awkward, and I think I would prefer just having the larger cabin of an aft-cockpit model.

I don't think this is a class problem, but the one I looked at had pretty extensive water damage in the aft cabin. May have been a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. The paneling in the forward cabin also showed water delamination from bad port bedding.

But still, there's something about them that whispers in your ear. I think if the boat I posted here, the one in RI, had been available last year, I would be a card-carrying member of that Nor'sea Owner's Club.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:20   #18

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Don't let not having an NS27 keep you from the owners group. Lots of good info there.

I bought an aft-cockpit and love it. I've visited an aft-cabin in Florida and thought the same that it was a bit awkward. Some owners love them because the aft-cabin can be a storage/garage compartment keeping a lot of clutter out of the main cabin. Also, if someone is working in the cabin, such as in the galley, it wouldn't disturb someone in the aft-cabin as much.

After seeing the aft-cabin, I'm glad I went with the aft-cockpit. A bit more rare, but more cabin room and the quarterberths are nice. The cockpit is large enough for me, at 6'5" to lay down in.

Be patient, your boat will come to you.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:42   #19

Boat: Tashiba-31

Thanks for the insights on the aft-cockpit. So far the only one I've actually been on was the aft-cabin version.

I am on the yahoo group - really enjoy following the discussions!