Boat: KP 44
Re: Heat Exchanger for Perkins diesel

Try these guys
LENCO Home Page
Old 29-06-2013, 16:55   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hay slacker--you are in barra now, yes--your boat is sitting nicely--and we have another storm approaching--all is well..is mexico in summer....
i have had reasonably good luck having items fabbed here in mexico-- and i know in san diego fraser boiler will fab one for you at reasonable cost...perhaps a boiler shop wherever you are could make one??
Old 01-07-2013, 13:09   #18

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbuoy View Post
"Has protective patina" so that's what it's called! And all this time I be thinking to waste good paint on engines
Old 01-07-2013, 13:40   #19

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

hello svfinlandia, If you haven't got fixed up I would suggest you try these 2 sites. The first is ASAP supplies.com if they haven't got one in stock they will get one delivered a damn site cheaper than you've been quoted. The 2nd site is Lancing Marine.co.uk, ask for Mike Bellamy and he's very helpful, for those of you with marinised Ford diesels he's a mine of information.
I hope this helps you.
Old 01-07-2013, 13:53   #20

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Thanks! I have the expensive one on order. If it works I will put it in. I'm tired of living in a boatyard. :-)
If it doesn't fit I will check out your sources.
Thanks again to everyone who responded to this!
Old 01-07-2013, 14:03   #21

Thank you foryour prompt rely Finlandia, price the heat exchangers on the 2 sites I gave you and if you haven't put any money down politely say thanks, but no thanks, to the overpriced one you spoke of.. I have a 4236 engine and personally get my marinising parts from ASAP all other parts I get from Part4Perkins.com
Good luck.
Old 01-07-2013, 14:37   #22

I checked the ASAP site and did not find a heat exchanger to fit my engine. The heat exchanger for the newer 4.236 engines are indeed much cheaper than the one tha fits on my old 1983 Perkins but they will not mount properly on my diesel
Besides, both of the suppliers you recommend are on the wrong side of the pond for me and I am trying to get out of the boatyard and back on the water A.S.A.P. :-)
I do thank you for the response though and have bookmarked both suppliers for future reference.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 01-07-2013, 15:03   #23

I can sympathize with you wholeheartedly as I absolutely hate being shore bound too. In fact the relevant engine ports are the same, mine was built in the 70's but the new one still fits.
Anyway, Good Luck to ya, safe cruising.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:37   #24

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

hello,
perhaps to late but I think I have what you need. The heat exchanger I have is from an old 12 kw onan generator with a perkins 4.236 diesel engine.

If still interested send a message

all the best
peter
Old 08-10-2013, 10:59   #25

I know svfinlandia is fixed up but if anyone has heat exchanger problems here's a site worth noting. Serckservices.co.uk your contact there is Neil Barney and they can supply heat exchangers/oil coolers etc for Perkins 4236 engines with a prefix LD on the engine number. I realise it's t'other side of the pond but they ship worldwide.

Another site which may be of use to you if you travel by budget airlines is Sendmybag.com it's a worldwide service, you ship your bag 2/3 days before departure, fly with hand luggage only and your bags arrive 2/3 later at your destination and it's much cheaper than airline baggage charges.
I hope this is helpful, if it is please pass it on.
Good Luck.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:06   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

take the old part to a radiator shop. they will build one without charging shipping.

i have to do this as my perkins is pre 1986. i have had them made for ,in usa, under 150 usd, and in mexico fro around 30 usd..
Old 10-10-2013, 15:42   #27

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I have an older 4-236 on my 1977 boat. I think there was a spare heat exchanger on board when I bought it, but I moved everything off into my garage. I won't be able to locate it until Sunday next. If you are still looking let me know?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:42   #28

I found one already, but would be interested in a spare at the right price if it will fit my 1981 Perkins 4.236

Al
Old 15-01-2014, 02:46   #29

Re: Heat Exchanger for Perkins diesel 4236 Lowline

A) The original on my Perkins 4236 Lowline produced 1988 is a Serck Heat Exchanger.In the Perkins Spare Parts Manual the cylinder is listed as Part Number 2486586. In Europe you can buy this Serck type model from either a Perkins agent or a chandler eg Golden Arrow Marine UK. The cost varies from €2400-€2700.

B) Another option is to use a Bowman Heat Exchanger and modify this
I have been recommended by one company to use a Bowman FC100-3891-2 pass
Another company in the UK, an agent for Bowman, recommends a different Bowman Heat Exchanger model EC140. This also would have to be modified by end and pipe fittings. The cost of Option B will vary as to labour costs from €1200 to €1700 but you have to be sure that this option will do the correct cooling work in 28 degrees Centigrade sea water temperature eg in the Mediterranean or tropical waters.
The best thing is to obtain actual information by boat owners who have actually had successful modifications.
C) The third option is to take out the Heat Exchanger and recondition it eg cleaning by Muriatic acid, pushing a rod through all the cylinders in the tube stack in the correct direction of flow, welding the aluminium or brass end fittings at both ends which will have corroded, change of o rings and finally by pressure testing.
If somebody has any other suggestions please make them.
Old 15-01-2014, 08:09   #30

In a previous post I gave the name of www.Serckheateexchangeservice.com as a source for heat exchangers for a Perkins 4236 Lowline engine with engine numbers beginning LD, (and many other engines also) your contact there is Neil Blaney.
You could also contact www.ejbowman.co.uk who actually fabricated them (and still do) for Perkins, they still manufacture for all other types of marine engines.
Another source of help would be www.asapsupplies.co.uk who are very vey helpful sourcing marinising parts.
Please take note of these contact for future reference.
I hope this helpful.

Tags
diesel, perkins