Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2018, 18:59   #16

Boat: Fountain Pajot SABA 50' (on order)
Re: The Bane of F.P. Boaters, Bright work or bare Teak...

Many thanks and will do (have added new topic)
Ikigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 15:22   #17

Boat: Fountain Pajot SABA 50' (on order)

Hi Serenity
What size is the teak table in the cockpit.. Length,width and thickness ? I really would be grateful for the accurate measurements if you have a moment. Do you think that a solid teak table top if oiled would last longer than the veneered F.P. standard issue
Ikigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 15:46   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

RE Teak in the tropics

Firstly I must say the only reason teak goes black is from the use of teak oil and other treatments.
As for wearing, well my deck is 20 years old and re-caulked once. Its fine.
If you varnish exposed teak around here 10 coats will maybe get you 2 years !
The only thing teak needs is salt water ! As close to daily as you can ! and believe me I have tried many products over the years !
Old 26-06-2018, 16:50   #19

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
RE Teak in the tropics

Firstly I must say the only reason teak goes black is from the use of teak oil and other treatments.
As for wearing, well my deck is 20 years old and re-caulked once. Its fine.
If you varnish exposed teak around here 10 coats will maybe get you 2 years !
The only thing teak needs is salt water ! As close to daily as you can ! and believe me I have tried many products over the years !

[emoji106][emoji106] I agree 100%
Old 26-06-2018, 17:12   #20

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikigai View Post
Hi Serenity
What size is the teak table in the cockpit.. Length,width and thickness ? I really would be grateful for the accurate measurements if you have a moment. Do you think that a solid teak table top if oiled would last longer than the veneered F.P. standard issue
Ikigai: Look, I am away from the boat, so an estimate is about 4.5' wide and 7.5' long?? Look, you cannot do anything until you actually receive the boat, but I would relax about the cockpit table, and NOT figure on doing it up in solid teak... Why?

First of all it is out of the weather. It is almost out of any UV of the sun, unless the declination (wow, old sextant language) is down low and peeking in at a steep angle and so UV is nearly negligent. Secondly, FP have done a really nice job on both tables I have had on the Helia and the Saba 50, I mean I lived with the Helia for over a year before I even realized it was a high grade veneer, and I have an eye for such things!! It is that good, and flat, and straight, and stable... It looks like laminated plank, only more perfect.

Now the trim and border of it is solid wood, and joinery is so good that most people would not pick that it was a veneer at all. It is out of the weather, and well supported on four stainless pedestals. Here is a picture of what the Deks Olje looks like dry and in use, I put it up with reflection in the lights and evening sunshine. It is so close to a varnish finish as to not be able to tell the difference, but it does not break the surface adhesion like varnish. I do not expect the table in the cockpit to wear as much, I may do a light sand and re-coat again in a year and smooth out the grain even more. The exposed wood on the foredeck, I am prepared to give it a quick few coats a few times a year, keep it sealed, keep it looking good.

Emmalina this is not an oil that stays oily and collects dirt and mold OK. Been there, done that, and I agree.. Then the Teak Cleaners etch the soft part of the wood and it gets all grainy in time... However: This dries like a hard resin. It goes on very easy, wet on wet, about 15-20 minutes apart in summer, maybe 25-30 minutes in winter, and I do three coats. It flattens itself out, and I do not wipe off the excess. I did one light sand with an orbital, to bring off the high parts of the grain, and the next three coats has finished it off. This is three sessions of three coats, one sanding, and it is near a varnish finish...

Other Owners and Gourmet Yacht Lovers in Fountaine Pajot: This picture below is a reflective close up to show you the finish. Faster than varnish, and easy. And note this is the Satin version. I would not bother with the gloss as this is that good.. The grain is almost filled in, feels good and looks good. I put this close up on, taken last night, with the multiple reflections of cockpit lights and waning sun. Left bare and scrubbed for three years, it had gotten quite grainy, but now this Deks Olje has filled it in nicely with very little sanding.. I hope this is a help.

Kind regards, Saba 50 SERENITY, under renovations...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAA.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	172515  
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, teak