Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2018, 19:14   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Sail Drive/Hull Internal Rubber Boot

On the Goiot escape hatches, the bezel can come out of the frame, it is only glued onto the frame with silicone. Then you have a 3 sq ft hole in the side of your boat.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 19:34   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
On the Goiot escape hatches, the bezel can come out of the frame, it is only glued onto the frame with silicone. Then you have a 3 sq ft hole in the side of your boat.
Yeah, there is a thread on here somewhere about a failed escape hatch underway...not good.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 03:12   #18

Re saildrive; I replaced mine a yera ago I reckon it was about 18 years old. I have had the replacement on board for a few years waiting for the oppertunity to do it. When I took the old one out initially it looked fine,. however when I bent it at the junctio with the fixing plate, there was a deep split in the rubber. This is not apparent when in situ, I was glad I did it when I did.
The job is not easy, I have a volvo MD17D and a 120s saildrive, lots of hard to get at bolts etc. but worth it.
noblewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 03:35   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Re failure modes of SD sails:
As already mentioned on another thread we had a failure back in 2011 on a Yanmar SD20 due to brute force.
We sailed at full speed into a huge pile of disposed fishing net, which stopped us within a second. The pile of net was the size of a house, and floating just under the surface.

It was visible by the old dirt marks around the SD that it had moved a few mm and we took very small amounts of water. Just enough to trigger the bilgepump every few hours.

After liftout it became clear that the seal was still OK, but the fibreglass around the bolts was cracked and water was creeping in through these cracks.

This happened just weeks after we replaced these seals, no clue if the old ones (although looking as new) would have survived as well.

This happened on our Lagoon 410, which had the engines under the bed and no watertight bulkhead. That -in combination with crossing the atlantic- was the reason to replace the seals.

I don't know about the FP Orana but if its like our FP Mahe with watertight bulkheads glassed into place and no penetrations below bridgedeck level I would not change the seals without good reason.
there are better ways to spend the money to improve safety.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 09:20   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44

Great feedback, thanks to all!

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, sail