Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2014, 09:36   #16

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019
Re: Saba 50 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
300Kg is 660lb.

Sorry I meant beef to 500kg or 1200lbs?
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 09:39   #17

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaseas View Post
well if I am not mistaken its WL is almost 2m longer, so that seems quite a bit and given that you pay 200k Euro or 50% of the Helia more for a Saba, that space must be worth a lot...

guess that comes down to personal preferences, but what would be a deterrent for me is that even in the Maestro version, you get a minimum of 4 cabins and an unbeblievable 4 heads. For a circumnavigation with a couple or familiy with occasional guests, this is really overkill for me and basically a waste of the space the Saba otherwise would offer. So I would tend to agree with Nasa that Saba is clearly a charter baby.

And by the way, peteh007, from all the pics and vids that I have seen on the net, the anchoring systems seems to be identical set up for both, Saba and Helia, so that will probably not solve your tandem anchoring issues. On the other hand, I really can't imagine this to be the decisive point. Your primary anchor should be sufficient for any 'normal' situations up to what 35-40 maybe. The Helia will fit a 40kg Rocna, so that together with all chain should keep you in the spot in most circumstances. And if you really feel the need to anchor in tandem, then the secondary obviously needs to go over the bow and for getting it up again, you attach a line a little longer than the secondary chain and rig a feeder line from the bow under the trampoline to the anchor looker, so once the primary is secured, you get the trip line for the secondary to the bow and lift it up. Agree it will be some work and not that easy as pushing a button, but for the few times you may need it, it should be ok. For me it's a trade-off for the benefit of having the weight of the primary not at the bow but rather close to the center.

Regards
Mario

Many thanks. Great points!!
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:38   #18

you may find this interesting from another thread on the saba sailing performance
Saba 50 vs Antares - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
gelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 21:56   #19

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

I have a Helia 44, and my dreamy thinking of the Saba has faded a little.....

Most of what I was dreaming off has faded a little. For instance: The engines are 75 HP, but only Turbo versions of the Volvo 55's that I have... From an Engineering perspective, with heat stress and added Turbo liabilities: THAT is NOT necessarily an improvement. The 55's would no doubt have a longer and more trustworthy service life..

In general, the Helia 44 is SO GOOD, that I am thinking it is enough... I mean the SABA 50 Maestro is an Owners boat, but I am in my 60's and it my be for a younger Owner... There is a lot of stress and handling issues, like in a Marina getting fuel, docking in cross winds and current, maintenance, more might be too much for one couple where the Helia 44 is just about right. I am afraid with the SABA 50, you will actually have a net loss due the fact that you will not want to cruise alone without another couple.

I have a vague dream of a year or two in Med and Carib and wanted to take Delivery of a new yacht in France. If I do, I am now 60/40 in favour of a new Helia 44 to return with later model boat to Australia. Mine is the most well equipped one I have seen to date, now with more sails, Aso, Gennaker, etc and rigging and gear and ground tackle and freezers and extra solar and and and... I might even look into shipping it. Hmmmm...

Anyway, the SABA is still in the running, but it might be too big to dock single handling.. And cleaning the hulls, and ................... Go charter a Maestro version of the Helia would be my advice...
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 16:00   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
The Helia (and smaller FP) have a sail to unloaded weight ratio of around 11 m^2. The Saba has a ratio of around 9m^2. A lot of space to circumnavigate but you are going to do it slowly.
Not necessarly.. There are other factors to consider such as overall length, hull beam to length ratio, load carrying capacity. (if you load the same amount of goodies for cruising, the loss of performance will be smaller in larger boat)

Overall, I believe Saba will be faster than Helia but not much.

By the way are you sure that Tag 50 is cheaper than Saba ? I couldn't find the price for Tag 50, But if so, I would have gone for it as well ...
Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 23:26   #21

Boat: Lightwave 45

Quote:
Not necessarly.. There are other factors to consider such as overall length, hull beam to length ratio, load carrying capacity. (if you load the same amount of goodies for cruising, the loss of performance will be smaller in larger boat)

Overall, I believe Saba will be faster than Helia but not much.

By the way are you sure that Tag 50 is cheaper than Saba ? I couldn't find the price for Tag 50, But if so, I would have gone for it as well ...
Hi mate

Have you put a Saba into operation yet? I will believe it when you tell me you have compared Helia and Saba alongside.

As to Tag 50 Tim had a special for the first 5 boats. GT cost was U$1.2 million out of factory. I did not have the guts to order sight unseen but I will go to factory later this year to check out the first. I believe Tim has now put up prices by 10%.

In any case I will not buy new next time. Happy with the Helia for a year or two and will look at second hand Tag's when they come on the market. Looking forward to Stardust (Tag 60) coming to Mooloolaba in the next week or so.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 02:02   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi mate

Have you put a Saba into operation yet? I will believe it when you tell me you have compared Helia and Saba alongside.

As to Tag 50 Tim had a special for the first 5 boats. GT cost was U$1.2 million out of factory. I did not have the guts to order sight unseen but I will go to factory later this year to check out the first. I believe Tim has now put up prices by 10%.

In any case I will not buy new next time. Happy with the Helia for a year or two and will look at second hand Tag's when they come on the market. Looking forward to Stardust (Tag 60) coming to Mooloolaba in the next week or so.
We don't have yet Saba in the fleet, I think the earliest delivery if you order now is 7-8 months later and we miss the 2015 season anyway.

FP also has increased the prices last week. Nevertheless, Saba comes to about K 700 € out of La Rochelle. Tag 50 at 1,2 Mio US + 10%= 1.3 mio USD which makes over a Mio €, hence almost 50 % more expensive than the Saba..
Am I missing something ? At this price range IMO, there are many other alternatives..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 17-01-2015, 03:42   #23

Quote:
We don't have yet Saba in the fleet, I think the earliest delivery if you order now is 7-8 months later and we miss the 2015 season anyway.

FP also has increased the prices last week. Nevertheless, Saba comes to about K 700 € out of La Rochelle. Tag 50 at 1,2 Mio US + 10%= 1.3 mio USD which makes over a Mio €, hence almost 50 % more expensive than the Saba..
Am I missing something ? At this price range IMO, there are many other alternatives..
Sorry, I should have explained.

The $1.2 million was to my spec. If you want to compare base specs the price was around $980K before the price increase. This was the comparison I was making.

I would be interested in knowing what other alternatives at $1.1 million (base spec) you think would be comparable with Tag 50.
Old 17-01-2015, 05:07   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I guessed K 700 € for Saba with basic equipment. If you add, radar, genset, water maker, A/C, teak everywhere, etc. you come to 800 K.
But then you can get upto 10% discount which is pretty common.

What else for 1 mio € budget; (brand new)

-Outremer 51
-Catana 47 with carbon mast and boom,
-Lagoon 52
-FP Ipanema 58 (just over 1 mio mark..)

If you want something more aggressive, you may also check this Eric Lerouge design 46 footer all carbon, rotating carbon mast, etc..
Class 4

at 650 K..

In any case once you at 1 mio budget, there are much more options for every taste and task..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 17-01-2015, 05:59   #25

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

-Outremer 51
-Lagoon 52
Priviliege 515 is 880K Euro (without VAT).
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 14:33   #26

Quote:

I guessed K 700 € for Saba with basic equipment. If you add, radar, genset, water maker, A/C, teak
everywhere, etc. you come to 800 K.
But then you can get upto 10% discount
which is pretty common.

-Outremer 51
-Lagoon

If you want something
more aggressive, you may also check this Eric Lerouge design 46 footer all
carbon, rotating carbon mast, etc..
Class

at 650 K..

In any case once you at 1 mio budget, there are much more
options for every taste and task..
In this thread drift I assume we are talking about significantly faster boats so that eliminates FP and lagoon.

Two criteria for me and I suspect for many :-

(a) 90% stationary so comfort is important
(b) Want to accommodate admiral

As such O and C do not fit the bill until you get to 5X and C59.

Do not know about Lerouge design but I suspect same issues. Tag 50 is unique in that it has master bedroom and ensuite up, but I cannot really comment until I actually see one. Possibly same issue and for real comfort need to go to Tag 60, in which case I agree it is a very open field.
Old 18-01-2015, 03:36   #27

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Going for a test sail today with the owner of Cuvee. Hull number 2 unfortunately the wind forecast is for under ten knots today. This was the show boat at Annapolis. The owner is on board for the next couple of weeks

Jay

captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 09:11   #28

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

That last photo looks suspiciously just like the one I took 3 weeks ago while out on charter!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 15:20   #29
DtM

Why is no one sitting on the lounges?
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 15:34   #30

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

The guests are in the water snorkeling except for the young lady visible in the photo and of course, myself. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1421883235.464682.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	95865

Is that better?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Saba