Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 10:34   #1

Boat: fp bleize 43
rigging replacement

with the age of the belize its time to replace the rigging wire.
have any other belize owner's done theirs.?
its either pull the mast off and replace all the wire and service fittings $10000
or replace the 3 main ones and forbeam $4000
how does this sound which way to go?
k9spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 15:59   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: rigging replacement

I had a rigger look at mine and he believes he can change everything one at a time without pulling the mast.

I think I'll pull the mast anyway as I want a closer inspection of it and all fittings. I'm a couple years from doing such.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 16:00   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9spud View Post
with the age of the belize its time to replace the rigging wire.
have any other belize owner's done theirs.?
its either pull the mast off and replace all the wire and service fittings $10000
or replace the 3 main ones and forbeam $4000
how does this sound which way to go?
I had mine done at The Boatworks a few months ago. I went for your first option and consider it money well spent.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:47   #4

Boat: fp bleize 43

thanks
I think I agree will go my first option
ithink its worth it for the peace of mind
k9spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 13:56   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 Maestro

We did the full standing rigging replacement last year for a little over $11K. That included the shrouds and diamonds. We had one strand of wire break in the upper shroud, so we did the whole rig since the boat is 13 years old (and has at least 3 trans-Atlantic trips). We replaced all turnbuckles and other hardware at the same time. Chain plates and mast step were also inspected and determined good.

I've been up the mast several times, have replaced some wires and equipment, and know the sheaves are fairly new, so I wasn't as concerned about pulling the full rig and saved a few dollars.

It's relatively painless (except for the wallet), but necessary. From my research 10-12 years is expected life for catamaran rigging. Cats put more stress on rig since they don't heal like monohulls. Have your rigger fully check anything you aren't replacing.

If you do pull the rig, consider replacing the wires in the mast.

Pete
peteatbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 13:10   #6

Hi...I checked this thread because I think I have excessive slack in my leeward shrouds on my Belize 43, especially hard on the wind. I had a rigger in the Keys check out the hardware and he found all was OK. Is there something I'm missing? Can anyone tell me if there is a recommened amount of tension? I'm in Belize and will be heading to Rio Dulce next month.
geozeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 10:56   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

goezeck,

I remember reading somewhere a paraphrased quote from a high-ranking official at FP who stated that shrouds should not be loose in a properly tensioned rig. I assume that also implied being properly reefed for the wind conditions so that the windward shroud is not over stressed.

When I see my leeward shroud slack in more than 15 knots of wind with full main, I tighten BOTH shrouds one turn on the adjusting turnbuckle. This has been required every 2-3 years, depending on how much we sailed and the conditions in which we sailed.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rigging