Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2009, 06:02   #1141

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Asymmetrical Spinnaker on a Mahe

What are the measurements of a Mahe Asymmetrical Spinnakerchute?
I would like to purchase one, but do not know what size our boats are using.

Need to know how many ounces ?
Need to know the Luff ? Leech ? & Foot ?

I am guessing the Mahe chute would be around 850 sq ft. I believe you get that size by adding the Main Sail area 505.92 sq. ft. and the Roller Furling Genoa area 322.93 sq. ft. = 829 sq. ft

I am guessing that a 3/4 ounce weight would be very manageable and easy to store.

Mark
Old 05-01-2010, 18:04   #1142

Boat: Beneteau 40
Hi all, believe it or not i just read all 77 pages of this thread. The reason is that I am getting close to buying a boat. I would love a cat but unfortunately for me (and fortunately for you all) cats are holding value very well. I saw an add that said the basic price for a Mahe is 212k, but I've read that realistically its closer to 270k with the basics (yes a/c is a basic for me, i live in south florida). 212k is close to being in my budget 270k is not, so my question is what is the actual price of a well equipped boat? I don't want to go to the broker if its out of my price range
Old 05-01-2010, 18:32   #1143

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Lock Crowther Regatta

Hi Daniel

I see you and 2Gether featured in the writeup on the Lock Crowther regatta in latest Aus Multihull World and the author only had good things to say - well done!

Cheers
Martin
Old 05-01-2010, 19:16   #1144

Boat: Mahe 36
270K seems a lot more realistic to me with delivery, options etc. I dont know what A/C runs but I had heard new boats with basic package were about 260K delivered to east coast. So with A/C your 270K seems about right.
Lori
Old 05-01-2010, 19:22   #1145

Boat: Beneteau 40
thank you for the quick response, sad but reality sucks sometimes, i hope a good deal presents itself soon or you will find me on another mono soon . on the other some of the best days of my life have been on a monohull, so no complaints
Old 06-01-2010, 15:57   #1146

Community Sponsor

In My Next Life I want this

Charter Richard Branson's yacht
The British billionaire and Virgin Atlantic chairman is renting out his ultra-luxe sea retreat -- for $88,000 per week.

This is the same guy that owns Neckers Island just of Virgin Gorda in the BVI

While the entrepreneur has his eye on space, his 105-foot catamaran, named Necker Belle, will be available to charter in the Caribbean next month for $88,000 a week.

Owners -- even billionaires -- often charter their yachts to offset running costs and to keep their yachts in peak condition, according to Clemmie Proctor of Burgess brokerage firm. However, Proctor would not speculate as to why Branson is letting the hoi polloi on his boat.

Launched in 2003 as Lady Barbaretta, Branson's yacht cruises at a speed of 18 knots under power. She tops 20 knots under sail.

Necker Belle recently emerged from an extensive two-year face lift at Azzura Yachts in Australia. She accommodates up to ten guests in four staterooms.

Branson's yacht offers a contemporary, beach house vibe. Each room boasts an ensuite bathroom.

Lounge lavishly while surfing the Web or TV channels. The Necker Belle is equipped with Wi-Fi and satellite television in addition to iPod docking stations.

The spacious Necker Belle will also be available to charter during summer for up to $94,000 a week through brokerage firm Burgess. The charter rates include seven crew members who pamper guests and treat them to gourmet meals.

In addition to a full bar, Branson's yacht includes a game-fishing chair, diving board and gear for snorkeling, kite surfing and scuba diving.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/...cht/index.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Necker Belle.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	15104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	15105  

Name:	Living.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	15106  
Old 09-01-2010, 08:29   #1147

Boat: Woodwind 10.3 catamaran
Beaching a catamaran

Dear fellow sailors

It has been a pleasure for me to read this forum, thank you all. I hope one day to be sailing the Mahe 36 too as it appears to be a wonderful boat. I have sailed my 10.3 m Simpson designed catamaran for quite some years. My thought was to contribute to this forum with my hard learned lessons on beaching a cat.

Fixed keeled cats are very good at beaching. However there are a few safety issues that has to be considered when doing so. First choosing the right beach is important. The right beach has sand and no stones. It is a little steep (slope) and it is situated in a sheltered bay. It is also good if there is no current running along the beach. Also choose a place with no commercial traffic (=big waves!)

Next is the correct timing of the beaching. You must know whether it is springtide or neptide(? Is that the name in english) . If you are going from springtide towards neptide, you have to be careful NOT to set the boat on the hard at max high tide. In this situation wait at least 1 hour after high tide, before beaching the boat. Failing to do so might keep you on the beach for 2 weeks! So check the tide and the tide heights on the days involved.

Approaching the beach at 1-2 kn at an right angle, bow first. Have an aft anchor with lots of rope ready. Approx 50 meters before the expected landing - drop your anchor. Continue until the boat softly sets. Keep the engines and propellers running at idle speed for about 10 min. Set a front anchor or tie to a tree. Now pull and set the aft anchor. You are now safe and can reverse procedure when leaving.

Do NOT try stern first beaching as the rudders will be damaged in case of the water comes back with strong winds and waves (I tried losing a rudder this way). Also parking parallel along with the beach is a very bad idea (I tried losing a keel this way!).

Being able to beach the catamaran is a big advantage of this vessel. Keeping the above in mind will make it a great pleasure too.

Regards Jan
Old 10-01-2010, 17:17   #1148

Community Sponsor

One Wild Ride

This is not for the faint of heart.
This guy is crossing a sand bar into a harbor.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wild ride.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	15107  
Old 10-01-2010, 17:18   #1149
DtM

Lock Crowther

Hi Martin,

Yes, it was a nice little write up. It is a fun regatta and the people that organise it are incredibly enthusiastic.

The best bit for me was how much Elaine enjoyed the regatta even when it was cold, wet and blowing hard. she did a great job of steering. I must say I learned a couple of times about momentum and cruising catamarans at mark roundings. We had to do our penalty turns on one occasion !!!!

Wasn't last weekend just fantastic up there on Pittwater.

daniel
Old 10-01-2010, 21:47   #1150

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Iversen View Post
Dear fellow sailors

It has been a pleasure for me to read this forum, thank you all. I hope one day to be sailing the Mahe 36 too as it appears to be a wonderful boat. I have sailed my 10.3 m Simpson designed catamaran for quite some years. My thought was to contribute to this forum with my hard learned lessons on beaching a cat.

Regards Jan
Jan

Thank you for your tips on careening a cat. I have wanted to beach WW for a while, but am still working up the courage to do it.

I was in Port Dickson, Malaysia, recently and note that the sand flats there seem ideal for careening a cat. The sand is firm, clean and flat. On the down side, I counted 14 ships in the horizon.

Please send my regards to Leong Hun. She told me you built and sailed your 34ft cat from Denmark to Singapore.

JohnC
Old 11-01-2010, 04:38   #1151

John

Beaching the boat is very easy. However it is better to use a beach with a little slope than a flat one. This way the aft end of your boat will be lifted off the ground long before you can sail away and therefore you will not risk grounding on your way out (taking the ground on a flat surface is no fun with a cat). Also if you have a faraway horizon, it will means that strong winds (big waves) might follow the water back! So better find a small bay instead. Near the Singapore courseway (east) is a very good place. I will try to place a couple pics of my boat on the beach. How do I do that?

Leong Hun send her regards to you too. Yes, I sailed my boat in five wonderful years of tropical paradise. Then I (the boat) stayed another 8 year in Malaysia. Now I'm "boatless"

We would like to meet up with all of you passing thru Singapore. Just email when here. jiv@mail.dk

Jan
Old 11-01-2010, 05:15   #1152

Beaching a catamaran

Hope I got it right now....
Jan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beaching-of-Suvarov,-Las-Perlas,-Panama02-copy.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	15108   Click image for larger version

Name:	At-RLYC,-Langkawi,-Malaysia.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	15109  

Old 12-01-2010, 03:12   #1153

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Volvo Penta air filters

Hi all, yesterday I modified my original filters according to Marks (Cotemar) excellent instructions. The job took about 5 hours all in all. But imagine using 20 air filters of 80 euros in the next 10 years, that is 1600 euros... Not a bad salary, and environmentally sound by producing less waste. And I succeeded in not cutting myself.

Mark's instructions are excellent, but of course I have some additions:
- Using a sheetrock knife, heated on the gas stove in the kitchen, worked excellently. Especially the glue of the original filter cuts like warm butter.
- I made the vertical cuts in the housing under an around 60 degree angle. Pressing the (newly made) lid thus closes the gap.
- I used a hot melt glue pistol instead of silicone to close the cut-off folds and the side of the half filter. Fast drying of hot melt glue is a big advantage. Adhesion to the filter material is excellent.
- I used self-sticking velcro instead of glueing velcro on.
- I cut away part of the last fold of the air filter near the inlet of the air filter, to facilitate air flow. It turned out that this fold was not functional: it was sealed at the bottom by the orange rubber rim material. See picture attached.

Mark, thanks for your great "invention"

I am investigating compatible air and fuel filters from cars and forklifts. Cheaper, and readily available. I will post this later, by making an update of Mark's engine parts document for the 20HP engines.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jan 2010 006.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	15110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 2010 007.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	15111  

Old 12-01-2010, 14:52   #1154

Community Sponsor

Volvo Penta Washable Air Filter

Jef,

Nice Job on the Volvo Penta air filters
I like your idea's and will add some into the instructions for anyone else that needs them.

Jef is refering to our Blog Page 71, Post 1055
Volvo Penta part # 3809924 Washable Air Filter

If anyone needs the instruction just send a private e-mail.

Mark
Old 12-01-2010, 19:33   #1155

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
This is a really great thread - thanks to those such as Cotemar / Jef & Marin et al for posting some truly useful and great tips on boatworks. We sail a Lavezzi but you folks have posted some fabulously innovative modifications (with photos!!).

Thanks!!
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36