Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 22:41   #106

Boat: rinker cuddy
Re: Improvements to the Helia 44

helia 44
I am new to this forum......... but already have dozens of hours reading the posts here, yours are particularly helpful.

I like your chain improvement, but my favorite would be the new steering, as Ive heard of other 44,s having had problems with the factory unit.

I agree with your choice of an fp cat..... that is my dream, if you let go your 44, and the saba is a bit large, would you consider the new 47?

ps. any problems with your factory auto pilot?
cheers
imoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:50   #107

Boat: Fountain Pajot Helia 44

Has anyone investigated replacing the Davits on a pre-2015 Helia 44 with the new design? If so, can it be done and what is involved from a scope of work & cost standpoint.
Old 06-12-2016, 13:45   #108

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Replace Aluminum davits with the newer SS Helia 44 Evo davits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
Has anyone investigated replacing the Davits on a pre-2015 Helia 44 with the new design? If so, can it be done and what is involved from a scope of work & cost standpoint.
The Helia 44 davits were re-designed for the 2016 Helia 44 Evo model.

They carry the same 220 lbs per davit.

They are higher than the older Aluminum davit.

Would be a lot of work and expensive to change out for not so much benefit.

Totally different mounting and re-enforcement would be needed.

Would be very expensive for FP to send these SS davits, as they weigh much more than the aluminum ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	137578   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	137579  

Name:	3 Hélia-44-Evo.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	137580   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Hélia-44-Evo.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	137581  

Name:	5 Hélia-44-Evo.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	137582   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Hélia-44-Evo.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	137583  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 15:05   #109

Boat: Fountain Pajot Helia 44

Has anyone altered the existing original davits? Cut them down; slip and/or weld an extruded piece to obtain more height. Just a thought. My dinghy has to be strapped tight in a seaway with the motor stowed. Even at that it rubs the stern. Very piss poor engineering with not much thought and Mfg with scrap extrusions I would think.
Old 06-12-2016, 18:42   #110

Community Sponsor

Helia 44 Aluminum davits with wedges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
Has anyone altered the existing original davits? Cut them down; slip and/or weld an extruded piece to obtain more height. Just a thought. My dinghy has to be strapped tight in a seaway with the motor stowed. Even at that it rubs the stern. Very piss poor engineering with not much thought and Mfg with scrap extrusions I would think.
Most owners have added the nylon wedges under the Aluminum davits to jack them up.

Seems to work well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Helia 44 Davit wedge1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	137598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helia 44 Davit wedge2.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	137599  

Name:	Helia 44 Davit wedge3.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	137600  
Old 28-01-2017, 14:43   #111

Boat: wanting a cat

So what happened to Helia 44? Did he get a Saba 50?

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 14:58   #112

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 500
Re: Helia 44 Aluminum davits with wedges

I just received my nylon wedges. What's involved with installing them? Looks simple enough, though I'm not sure what to do to raise the davits to make the insertion. Is it a DIY project?
SailMonAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:37   #113

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Most owners have added the nylon wedges under the Aluminum davits to jack them up.

Seems to work well.
I just received my nylon wedges. What's involved with installing them? Looks simple enough, though I'm not sure what to do to raise the davits to make the insertion. Is it a DIY project?
SailMonAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:39   #114

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailMonAmi View Post
Sounds like a job for the topping lift...
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:29   #115

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailMonAmi View Post

I actually made the first set of wedges out of wood as a template on Hull #2 Wide Ranger. The guys from FP took those measurements back to France and came up with the Nylon kits.

You will have to totally remove the davits. The wedges came with reinforcing/backing plates that go inside the davits. In some cases the holes will have to be filled and re-drilled. They also added some additional fasteners through the side of the davits into the fiberglass. This is definitely a two man job as they through bolt on the boat.
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 21:17   #116

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Hello Friends,

Helia 44 here, AVALON in Mooloolaba Australia

Thank you all for your private messaging of appreciation. Here is my status: I am going to America for 30 days to the East Coast, will look at boats and decide. I think I am going to do one of two things, live on AVALON cruising and living aboard, or sell it and move on... Really, I am thinking AVALON is about all I want to single-handle alone, which it what it looks like with visiting friends but.... lone Ranger...

Anyway, what have I done to her recently? More goodies, yes. I do not know how to put the text into the pictures so they will all be added below. I had a glitch in the Garmin, so while I sent it away (turned out to be a low voltage issue in the hookup wiring and I could not find it as it only happened under heat and load ) So I upgraded to the 7100 Series which is just faster. My 5000 Series is packed in a locker for a back up...

I have also added a MAJOR power savings in intermediate weather of two Caframo Scirocco fans over each queen bed... The are the most air movement for the least power on the market, have three speed setting and four timing settings to turn themselves off. We use them in mobile units all over the Outback in my Business, they are the best, and limits the need for generator and air conditioning in intermediate weather.. !!!

I also have a 6? speaker sound system, inside and outside, run by Alpine.. I just changed that unit out for the newer one with Bluetooth. Now I have 1700+ songs in 6 different Genre, like 250 hours worth on my IPhone via Bluetooth to Avalon..

Let's see, I depend on the Victron, Charger/Inverter combo, so I have updated to the newer one, and will keep the old one as a spare to have for backup or use somewhere... A major dependency, so now have a new model in with backup in the garage to ship if needed...

My other big dependency is CruiseAire air conditioning. I just put a larger unit in the main salon. I have six units, two in main salon, one each port side queen staterooms, and two in main Maestro Owners Cabin... This again, gives me a spare at home ready to ship to me in the Whitsundays if needed, all set up ready to go... Hmmmmm told you I was crazy...

I guess that is all I can think of for now... Helia 44 AVALON might be for sale in 6 weeks, I will let you know. It is the most well equipped Helia 44 probably in the world. And I may just retire on her "lone Ranger" as my retirement home...

And one extra note: I have the polyurethane wedges... Since I have the extra tank on the Starboard side, I cannot afford more load in the back or I would replace the whole davits system larger as I wish I could have a 20 horse and center console unit... That is one of the ten main reasons I was thinking of upgrading is for the reserve buoyancy in the back... But overall the Helia 44 is fabulous and may just be home for me for the next ten years.. I will decide by April...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4421.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	141197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4422.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	141198  

Name:	IMG_4423.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	141199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4424.JPG
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	141200  

Name:	IMG_4427.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	141201  
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 21:46   #117

Well.......we know your still thinkin bout more tinkerin........... if you have not yet popped for the new lithiums.
cheers.....happy sailin
also a new cat would still give you what a year, being built and commisioned, to enjoy the helia.
Old 15-02-2017, 15:54   #118

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Hello
IMoutDoors.....

First of all WELCOME TO THE CRUISERS FORUM.....!

Now, I appreciate you comments about fixing up another yacht... I am extremely unlikely to get another Cat because I do love this Helia 44 AVALON..
I have poured my Engineering Heart into her, will the projects in this Topic, and I probably do not want to spend the time again... However, the possibility remains as I am a "Tinkerer" as you say, but a very good one, this is my 19th? major yacht in 40 years. I used to fix some up for resale and had a Business outfitting yachts for Cruisers at one time... If I retire this year, Cruising is only a 6 month a year proposition for me due to weather, and that gives me plenty of time to improve things (as I like to call it)....

OTHER FP CRUISERS, AN IMPORTANT TECHNO TIP:
First of all sorry about the pictures on their side, I have a bug in my I phone that puts them on the computer looking right side up, but turns them on their side when loaded on a Forum... I have to remember to open them in "Paint" and resize and save them to drop that odd bug of formatting... Hmmmm

NOW THE TIP: Many of you have the Victron combined Charger and Inverter units, and they are VERY good. Trust me I am in the business of using units like this in the Bush all the time, outfitting "Land Yachts"... Now my Inverter quit. I ordered the later model remote unit called in Victron language "Digital Multi Controller" that switches manual or automatic charger or inverter or off.... I ordered that remote, but I was thinking it was the main unit that was at fault because the manual switch on the charger to turn on the Inverter with LED's on the front was non/op..... I wanted a full set and get the originals fixed as spares... OK with that? I like spares of a few things I depend on, sitting at home that can be sent to me readily..

Anyway, $160 later, the main unit Victron Charger/Inverter combi unit is fine. The "Digital Multi Controller" was at fault, and when it fails it locks out the Inverter on the main unit. All you have to do if this happens, is unplug the remote controller, and run the main unit manually for charger or inverter.. !

Now I have a spare main unit, and the new style (better) Digital Multi Controller, picture below... For those on a budget, rather than getting both, try just unplugging that remote and see if the main unit still works... !!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4421.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	141359  
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 16:23   #119

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post

OTHER FP CRUISERS, AN IMPORTANT TECHNO TIP:

Many of you have the Victron combined Charger and Inverter units, and they are VERY good. Trust me I am in the business of using units like this in the Bush all the time, outfitting "Land Yachts"... Now my Inverter quit. I ordered the later model remote unit called in Victron language "Digital Multi Controller" that switches manual or automatic charger or inverter or off.... I ordered that remote, but I was thinking it was the main unit that was at fault because the manual switch on the charger to turn on the Inverter with LED's on the front was non/op.....

Anyway, $160 later, the main unit Victron Charger/Inverter combi unit is fine. The "Digital Multi Controller" was at fault, and when it fails it locks out the Inverter on the main unit. All you have to do if this happens, is unplug the remote controller, and run the main unit manually for charger or inverter.. !

Now I have a spare main unit, and the new style (better) Digital Multi Controller, picture below... For those on a budget, rather than getting both, try just unplugging that remote and see if the main unit still works...
That is good to know for trouble shooting.

We have the Digital Multi Control 200/200A remote display unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Digital Multi Controller 200-200A 1.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	141360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital Multi Controller 200-200A.jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	141361  

Old 13-05-2017, 10:41   #120

Hi....... Just wondering how was the excursion to the boat show.
keep us posted with your adventures, we all love to hear about the beach combing, and improvements to your cat.
Doug

Tags
men