Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 04:36   #16

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Belize 43 Performance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
I have a hard copy of the polar curve that was on the FP web site when Belize was still in production. It is a theoretical prediction of speed vs. wind angle in 20 knots of wind. It shows that boat speed should be about 11.5 - 11 knots at wind angle of 100 - 130 degrees. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and I'll try to scan it and e-mail it to you or post it here on CF.
I found this in my archives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PolaireBelize43-4.gif
Views:	354
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	36280  
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 04:55   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I found this in my archives.
Thanks. Now I won't have to dig out our scanner.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 20:49   #18

Boat: Modified Gulfstar built in Steel, 60'

Name:	1369.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	36312

Name:	2004-05 Tom Jewell Fanning One tree.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	36313

Name:	150.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	36314

Name:	2016-1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	36315

Name:	P1011117.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	36316

Name:	2004-05 Tom Jewell Pictures 253.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	36317

Name:	Tuaraoi Pics 072.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	36318

Name:	Tuaraoi Pics 023.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	36319
Tuaraoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 20:51   #19

Thank you John,
I will be targeting either a Fountain or a Catana, not loaded down with extras, 4 cabins, 2 heads and 2 crew bunks. We will make what speed we can make. And if the charter’s transit time is an issue we will use whatever gets us there faster even if we have to motor down wind. All part of the fun…..Ya!
Since 2003 I was running an old fixer upper steel boat, oil, fumes, cockroaches, tremendous work load keeping up with the rust and the closest haul-out 1,000 miles north and big dollars. Mix in the only jet plane service to Christmas sometimes stopping for months on end, and the government communication being at best unreliable. In 2006 they stopped for 3 full months, no phone, no calls, no internet. (in Maarten Troost’s Book, ‘Sex Lives of Cannibals’ he described the government as having no word for maintenance, hmmm). In 2006/7 I did a full refit to cater for fly fisherman and then once again in 2008 the air service abruptly stopped when the runway was in danger of getting sucked into the jets engines on takeoff….oh, oh.
Though we struggled at times with airplanes and logistics, we lived on one of the world’s nicest roadstead anchorages, private and quiet, eating quivering fresh sashimi every day, surfing, living the life. With a small 15 seat plane that took 6 hours to get there from Honolulu we got just enough work to stay afloat. (It did not however, have room for surfboards and diver’s extra luggage..ha!)
Then a change came on Fanning when I dislocated my ankle surfing, a full 90* twisted out. No doctor, no meds and the village nurse saying she could not help. Luckily, with help from a few cruisers two on my shoulders and one pulling we popped it back with a mighty big scream. For 8 days I laid still, and then with the help of friends I sailed to Christmas for a charter. There was a village doctor on Christmas, but no xray machine and with the swelling he could not tell if any bones were broken. “Wait for the swelling to go down and then we will see” he said….. 7 weeks later it was still swollen and sort of bent wrong, I was trying to stretch it and even tried surfing but it was too sore. Then I had another surf charter with an E.R. Intern from LA and he said, ”dude your leg is broken”.
With the plane service and not knowing how long I would be gone it was too risky to leave my boat on Christmas in the roadstead so my partner and friend arranged to take time off their jobs to come and help me sail to Hawaii the closest place. There is not room for the details here, but this was the only option to safely care for my boat.
Beautiful sail up, made a roaring passage across the Alinuihaha channel in 30+ knot of winds, 50 knots off Maui and tucked in to Lahina. From there with the boat in safe hands I flew to Reno where my 85 year old parents lived and limped into the hospital. No wonder it was so sore, my ankle was shattered broken in half with two pieces floating free as well as the fibula broken and not attached. Then came the hard news, to give a slight chance at fixing the ankle as opposed to fusing the ankle into one place was going take 3 reconstructive surgeries over 4 months and another 6 month for rehabilitation. We were going to be forced to sell my boat and in the turbulent market and I ended up at the zero point.
The old boat adage of the two happiest days..… was not for me. The happiest time of my life was on a boat with cruisers, guests and friends sharing wine and watching a sunsets; there is nothing better. Timothy Leary described the highest destiny of man on earth, as a form of existence in the universe, as evolving towards a purely aesthetic state…that was the goal…”the highest possible goal that man could obtain as a species.” Sailing, surfing, living the life is right up there with as good as life gets.
I was in a paradox trying to figuring how to restart, and be in a position to visit and help my parents and there is one only practical way to get back, and that is inviting partners. One of my daughters is moving here to help take care of my parents, and I have formed a team so that in the event I ever had to leave in an emergency again, or visit my parents the boat’s operation will continue safely. Plus, the normal perks and benefit of being a shareholder and the added opportunity of swapping time and running charters.
So now for crunch time, thinking outside the box, put together a solid presentation, to get another charter boat. Since Air Pacific stopped because of a dangerous airstrip, our Kiribati government, Air Pacific, New Zealand Aid, and others have provided the $20 million for a brand new runway and terminal. All have made a strong commitment to provide a lasting reliable air service. Air Pacific with a 737-700 now flies to Christmas in 3 ½ hours from Honolulu and Fiji once a week. The government has better communications and now allows private satellite set ups.
My backyard is a whole string of atolls between Hawaii and Tahiti, and another group called the Phoenix Island Protected Area the World’s Largest, with 200,000 square miles and no commercial fishing allowed. These two groups form a sovereign area the size of the Caribbean and I was the only yacht charter. Christmas Island’s anchorage, nestled in the hook of the NW and SW Points, offer over 15 miles of flat calm anchorages with no rolling and consistent winds for fun sailing, Fanning as many cruiser knows has one of most beautiful lagoons in the world with no hurricanes. Guest can compare by making a 2 week charter to Tahiti visiting 5 uninhabited atolls along the way.
Thanks for your comments
Tuaraoi
Old 30-01-2012, 15:12   #20

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Tuaraoi,

Wow, Kiribati's Christmas Island’s looks like a real nice place.

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 16:14   #21

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Tuaraoi,
Sorry to hear of your broken ankle misfortune. Best of luck for a speedy recovery now you have access to medical resources.
Hope your presentations and partnership setup work out.
If my plans come to fruition I will be diving and exploring the Pacific from 2014 in a catamaran.
Reading this thread means that I must plan to visit Kiribati sometime down track.
All the best
John
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 16:57   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Tuaraoi,

Wow, Kiribati's Christmas Island’s looks like a real nice place.
Particularly when viewed from Connecticut in January!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 17:56   #23

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Colemj,

Yes, but this time of year it's nice to dream.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 18:22   #24

Thank you,
Connecticut? (ha) I' am in Reno.

The Line Islands, The Cooks, The Phoenix Protected Area, Tokelau, The Gilbert Group and the Marshals are beautiful for cruisers, many have lagoons suited for a cat.

I think one can still time travel on some islands, going back in time, friendly sharing, innocent.

Beautiful fishing day and night, On Christmas often there was enough flying fish that crash landed for a meal.....making me hungry, crispy fried frying fish...

Weather? Mainly Fine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2005-07 Dustin Fanning 001 (2).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	36725  
Old 01-05-2014, 19:52   #25

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Belize 43
Re: belize 43 preformance?

Hi, We recently purchased our 2005 belize and on the way down from Queensland hit exactly the same speed of 11.7 knts in similar conditions.
Bill Brealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:31   #26

Recently sailed us virgin is to florida, winds around 18 to 23 knots,we were loaded with full water,fuel and 5 people. Still did 7 kts and 10 in gusts,main with one reef.
I was very pleased with her speed,as we used our water food etc speed increased about 1 to 2 kts on average.
Regards ian
ianis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 14:34   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Belize is one of the fastest FP; light, relatively narrow hulls, very high bridge deck clearance. Add two folding props and a decent sails, there will be very few cruising cats of same size that can overtake you

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 19:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Belize is one of the fastest FP; light, relatively narrow hulls, very high bridge deck clearance. Add two folding props and a decent sails, there will be very few cruising cats of same size that can overtake you

Yeloya
Folding props not possible on the Belize, saildrive is too close to the rudder. Could fit a feathering prop.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:46   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Folding props not possible on the Belize, saildrive is too close to the rudder. Could fit a feathering prop.

You are right .. I went to check one of our Belize's on land and the distance is way too short for folding. Interesting..

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
You are right .. I went to check one of our Belize's on land and the distance is way too short for folding. Interesting..

Yeloya
I suppose one could 'take a bite' out of the rudder, but I don't know what that would do to rudder performance (a non-linear leading edge).

I attribute this 'design' to the Belize being the first model with the engines aft of the berths. I've thought about flipping the engine around, the that would require the extension on the saildrive (plus lots of $$).

The good news:

Plenty of prop wash when maneuvering in tight quarters!
Fixed props are cheaper!

Tags
belize 43