Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2018, 19:59   #1

Atlantic Cruising Yachts and Business Yacht Ownership

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had experience using the Business Yacht Ownership plan offered by Atlantic Cruising Yachts they'd be willing to share? I apologize for the long first post or if this is the wrong place for this topic, but I didn't find anything specifically about this program when I searched and thought this might be the best place to ask since it's directly targeted towards new FPs.

My wife and I are considering putting down a deposit on an Astrea 42 and are trying to do our due diligence first. We met with our accountant today and are digging into the financial details, but that analysis will only be as good as the assumptions used on the business plan put together by ACY for anticipated income and expenses at each of their affiliated charter basis.

We would plan to have the boat in the charter fleet for 2-4 years before moving on board and starting full-time cruising, at which point we understand that we'd be paying tax recapture for converting the boat to personal use.

So far, when looking at the whole picture the numbers seem to indicate a relative wash from a purely financial stance from going the route of buying a new boat and utilizing charter income and tax advantages for a few years compared to just waiting and buying an equivalent used boat when we're ready (again, IF those assumptions provided by ACY are accurate).

So, the decision would then come down to the benefits of selecting all of the options we'd like directly from the factory and of having a few years' worth of use that we wouldn't have by waiting and buying used compared to the negatives of added wear and tear of unknown charter customers along with the risk of having someone relatively unknown manage this large asset for us from a very long ways away (we live in Nebraska).

If anyone here has gone this route, would you do it again?

Do you feel like you received accurate projections of income and expenses?

Do you think that the income and tax benefits outweighed the added wear and tear on your boat?

Which charter base did you decide to use, and why?

I appreciate any insight anytime may be able to offer. Cheers!
mgerdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:08   #2

Re: Atlantic Cruising Yachts and Business Yacht Ownership

I sent you a PM.

Didn't want you to think no one would answer your post.
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 19:24   #3

I've gotten a couple with some great insight, thank you both!
Old 06-06-2018, 05:22   #4

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Will you provide a summary for the rest of us who are curious?
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:49   #5

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Will you provide a summary for the rest of us who are curious?
I would bet that nobody will have the courage to do it publicly.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:11   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:56   #7

"analysis will only be as good as the assumptions used on the business plan"

Berman wrote a decent piece outlining the drivers of catamaran depreciation

https://multihullcompany.com/article...epreciation-2/

Some things to consider if you haven't already during your financial forecasts:

As a consumer durable, yacht values are very cyclical and the current US expansion is in its 107th month and is only 12 months away from being the longest expansion in modern history. Charter income would also be negatively impacted during a recession so you will need to consider counter-party risk if some company is guaranteeing income.

At 1.2, the EUR USD exchange rate is in the middle of its historic range of .8 to 1.6.
comesatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 19:19   #8

Great points about the impact of the exchange rate on the new and used values, as well as the double negative that the next economic downtown will likely have on both boat values and charter revenues. My current business is very cyclical itself, so that could become a challenging combination depending on when the next one hits and its severity.

For those wondering about the responses I've received, both from their own direct experiences and of those they were familiar with, the summary is that it's been a mixed bag. Some people have had good experiences, some less so.

As you might expect, this is largely driven by the particular charter manager that one might partner up with. I'm sure it also has a lot to do with the luck of the draw of the charter costumers you end up with. We've dabbled in rental houses with largely the same results - it just depends.

The great news is that this post has certainly reinforced my faith in the value of this forum, as the responses I've gotten have been very thoughtful and useful.

Thank you again for those who took the time to do so.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerdes View Post
As you might expect, this is largely driven by the particular charter manager that one might partner up with. I'm sure it also has a lot to do with the luck of the draw of the charter costumers you end up with. We've dabbled in rental houses with largely the same results - it just depends.
Absolutey...and even more ... it grealty depend on the local charter base manager.

On my side BEFORE signing the contract, I met the base manager and discuss many things and among those maintenance program, booking, "client selection", etc. ... He was giving lot of details, lot of time for me, I was in confidence.

After that I met him 3 times in the charter co booth at differents boat show... same good relation ... so the company rely on him... and myself.

A A______ salesman, that was angry about the fact I purchase with an other company tried to convince me I made a bad decision by telling horor stories about "others"... I let him finish and then I started to tell the stories "others" was telling about them... HE STOPPED and changed subject.

In my mind this is maily the local base manager that makes the difference !
Old 08-06-2018, 18:52   #10

We are interested in the details as well! Thanks
JCuezze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCuezze View Post
We are interested in the details as well! Thanks
Ho what sort of details ?
Even if myself I would like to read "horrors stories" from others about having a boat with charter companies, I understand why people are shy to display their stories publicly.

When you have a boat in charter ... you now make part of that business and try avoid to break it... this will hurt yourself.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:19   #12

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

It all sounds so reasonable until the details are known. I personally would not find it a good proposition as the charters seem to like max cabin layouts which would then need a refitting for my purpose.
Old 06-07-2018, 14:57   #13

Boat: wanting a cat

Would also like to know if this is a good charter business plan...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 14:56   #14

I would also love any input (good, bad, or neutral) about ACY. I'm curious as to how close their numbers are to reality and overall experience.

Thanks,
Mike
fehlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 14:59   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

PM sent
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, ownership, yacht