Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 06:51   #1

Weather Routing - Route Incomplete

Still learning. OpenCPN Weather Routing is running on one laptop (Sony Vaio circa 2014 Windows 10), but not the newer one (Lenovo N23 circa 2018 Windows 10). On the one that works: Weather Routing only plots part of a 5 - 10 hour, 50 nm, race. Going there or coming back, it stops at Latitude 42 N, Longitude 87 West.

Climatology plugin won't install because it's blocked by Norton Antivirus. Other plugins got past just fine.
Diagnosing the Lenovo, I'm thinking the paths to the files are probably off.
Any comments would be helpful.
Ratty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 10:12   #2

Re: Weather Routing - Route Incomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty1978 View Post
Still learning. OpenCPN Weather Routing is running on one laptop (Sony Vaio circa 2014 Windows 10), but not the newer one (Lenovo N23 circa 2018 Windows 10). On the one that works: Weather Routing only plots part of a 5 - 10 hour, 50 nm, race. Going there or coming back, it stops at Latitude 42 N, Longitude 87 West.

Climatology plugin won't install because it's blocked by Norton Antivirus. Other plugins got past just fine.
Diagnosing the Lenovo, I'm thinking the paths to the files are probably off.
Any comments would be helpful.
You are probably using the "detect land" feature in the WeatherRouting plugin. That feature does not work for the Great Lakes and most other inland waters. Instead of setting "detect land" you can use the OCPN Draw plugin to draw boundary regions that must not be entered by the routing algorithm.

The base map that shows the water areas of the Great Lakes seems to be defined in blocks that are bound by each whole degree of latitude and longitude. The route will stop at a degree line.

Inland waters such as San Francisco Bay are "seen" as land by the WR plugin. Many ocean races outside the bay start and finish inside the bay at Saint Francis Yacht Club. In order to use the WR plugin for those races, "detect land" cannot be used, and the real land areas need to be defined in OCPN draw.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 16:25   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

It is a goal to eventually be able to use vector charts for landfall (and depth depending on tide) detection for weather routing.

The current version uses gshhs maps which the high resolution really help a lot in coastal areas and are not installed by default. Not sure about great lakes.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:36   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Re climatology install, simply over ride norton and insist on installation. You may have to retrieve the file from quarantine and override to install it. Check your lower taskbar for new icons.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:07   #5

Thanks for the replies. A couple of weeks after that Labor Day race we were in a collision, so boat things have had their priorities changed. It's interesting that land is not recognized for the Great Lakes. They are, of course, navigable arms of the sea. Indeed, there's a very good chance that there is more water in Lake Michigan than in the English Channel. I'll have a look at that "draw" add in and see what it takes to draw 600 miles or more coastline.
Ratty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:36   #6

If you don't have NOAA Inland Charts definitely download those. Also if using ocpn-draw, I'd draw a reasonable safe depth for your boat to simplify the number of points. You may need to do it in segments, I don't remember how many consecutive points are supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty1978 View Post
Thanks for the replies. A couple of weeks after that Labor Day race we were in a collision, so boat things have had their priorities changed. It's interesting that land is not recognized for the Great Lakes. They are, of course, navigable arms of the sea. Indeed, there's a very good chance that there is more water in Lake Michigan than in the English Channel. I'll have a look at that "draw" add in and see what it takes to draw 600 miles or more coastline.
Old 26-11-2019, 17:29   #7

Boat: Looking for a new boat

In this same vein, is it possible to edit and drag a node on one of the isochromes in a weather routing scenario in order to adjust the route? Or do you have to export and do it in route manager?

Why not, instead of failing calculations, don't they just highlight the area that is outside of the parameter on the route in red and indicate what about it is wrong so the user can then adjust the route accordingly? For example if the route hits land, Let it go through the land but just highlight it.
Old 26-11-2019, 17:31   #8

Also is it possible to animate your estimated boat position along with the grib data so you can run simulations of your route?
Old 26-11-2019, 18:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Also is it possible to animate your estimated boat position along with the grib data so you can run simulations of your route?
With weather routing and grib open move the grib date the boat position (circle) should move.
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 18:30   #10

No, but you can use ocpn-draw and make an exclude area, then run the route again.
YOu can also set maximums (sea state, wind, etc) and it will route around that weather.

You can make 5 identical routes and run them starting every 6 hours to find the best weather window, for example.

Quote:
Is it possible to edit and drag a node on one of the isochromes in a weather routing scenario in order to adjust the route? Or do you have to export and do it in route manager?
Old 27-11-2019, 02:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
No, but you can use ocpn-draw and make an exclude area, then run the route again.
YOu can also set maximums (sea state, wind, etc) and it will route around that weather.

You can make 5 identical routes and run them starting every 6 hours to find the best weather window, for example.
To clarify, you would do this using batch processing.
Old 27-11-2019, 02:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
With weather routing and grib open move the grib date the boat position (circle) should move.
Hmmm I'm not getting this to work. Do I somehow need to manually indicate boat position? There is currently no boat icon on my route. Do I need to adjust a setting?
Old 27-11-2019, 06:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Hmmm I'm not getting this to work. Do I somehow need to manually indicate boat position? There is currently no boat icon on my route. Do I need to adjust a setting?
It's not a boat icon just a circle on the trace at the boat position.

cf big arrows I added to pictures below, one at the start of the weather route and the second after changing the grib displayed.

Squares on the trace are for polar (sail) changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	date1.png
Views:	57
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	203834   Click image for larger version

Name:	date2.png
Views:	56
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	203835  

did-g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags