Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2023, 05:56   #1

Touchscreen Keyboard

I know this is probably a small use case but it’s an issue for us so I’m hoping there’s a solution.

We just changed our OS on our navdesk computer from Windows to Ubuntu since we’ve ditched Timezero and moved to OpenCPN.

The PC is connected to a touchscreen monitor that works perfectly for everything but has a strange quirk with OpenCPN only.

Every time we switch focus to the OpenCPN window by clicking on the open window, the onscreen keyboard pops up and has to be dismissed.

This happens every time focus is changed in OpenCPN. Drag a dashboard then clicking the chart brings up the keyboard.

OpenCPN is the only application that has this issue and, although, dismissing the keyboard isn’t that big of an issue, after the tenth time, it gets a little annoying.

It’s almost like the entire OpenCPN screen is seen as text input? I guess that could be because of shortcut keys?

Does anyone know how to chase this issue down?
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 14:54   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Touchscreen Keyboard

crayii..
Not much of an answer here?
I don't have a touchscreen but there's a setting in Options=>User: "Enable touchscreen interface". Just for a test enable or disable that and check for a difference.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 23:02   #3

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

To the OP: I have TimeZero which is running on my navigation PC laptop with Windows 10. I love Linux and use Kubuntu on a separate ship's laptop and at home, but TimeZero isn't ported to Linux yet so I'm stuck using Windows 10 for TimeZero. For years I used opencpn and its a good nav program, but I inherited TimeZero with the new boat and feel it is superior to opencpn for my uses.

Did you ditch TimeZero because you changed from Windows to Kubuntu and TimeZero won't run on Linux?
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 01:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
To the OP: I have TimeZero which is running on my navigation PC laptop with Windows 10. I love Linux and use Kubuntu on a separate ship's laptop and at home, but TimeZero isn't ported to Linux yet so I'm stuck using Windows 10 for TimeZero. For years I used opencpn and its a good nav program, but I inherited TimeZero with the new boat and feel it is superior to opencpn for my uses.

Did you ditch TimeZero because you changed from Windows to Kubuntu and TimeZero won't run on Linux?

TZ runs in a VM so we Sri have it if we want to use it. We do really like the anchor watch and the ability to automatically sync with other running TZ instances.

Charts, tiles, radar, are the main reason we have moved to OpenCPN.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen