Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2010, 21:24   #1

R2.1.0 Issues with Windows 7, 64 Bits

In anticipation of the next release, I will post here a few issues I am finding with the current release running on Windows 7 64 bits.

Here are my first 2:

1. GPS drops out after less than 2 hours and PC crashed twice during the day : not sure how related, I have observed both issues during our last trip. Happened with Garmin GPS connected thru prolific adapter. I also tried to connect an AT&T Option usb gps: at some point, it stopped working and I had to reinstall its driver.
I observed that after the gps connection is lost, it takes a long time to close opencpn and an even longer time to close the laptop.
Note that I had unchecked the power turn-off on the usb hub connected to the gps.

2. The user manual shows 3 tabs on the route manager:routes, tracks and waypoints. My R2.1.0 route manager shows no tab, only "routes", so there is no option to make a route from a track. It would be nice to know which release is described by the manual.
Old 26-11-2010, 09:04   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by claire View Post
In anticipation of the next release, I will post here a few issues I am finding with the current release running on Windows 7 64 bits.

2. The user manual shows 3 tabs on the route manager:routes, tracks and waypoints. My R2.1.0 route manager shows no tab, only "routes", so there is no option to make a route from a track. It would be nice to know which release is described by the manual.
The wiki generally tries to keep up with the beta development. See the heading "Current Focus" on this page: Documentation Wiki | Official OpenCPN Homepage
The 2.1.0 documentation is available on the download page, Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage, and on your local computer through the help tab.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 16:50   #3

Thanks Thomas for the clarification
Old 28-11-2010, 05:32   #4

I thought I had solved the disappearing GPS issue through the following actions:
1. Found a setting in the laptop power scheme (advanced setting) where I was able to completely disable "usb selective suspend"
2. As stated elsewhere, I reinstalled my AT&T option usb GPS driver
3. For the Garmin GPS connected thru a Prolific serial adapter, I installed the latest driver recommended by an earlier post (dated July 2010)

I then ran Opencpn for more than 3 hours with each GPS and had no issue. That was at the anchorage, I just left the laptop alone with the active GPS connection

Today, however, we were sailing all day and the test results were different. The GPS input was shared with AIS. All worked perfectly for 4:30 hours before I lost the GPS input. I didn't notice the loss until I started playing with imported tracks, deleting and importing several different ones.
I strongly suspect that the GPS disappearance was related to my playing with GPXin. Restarting OpenCPN didn't solve the problem, I had to reboot the laptop. Trying to reproduce the issue, I brought back my tracks and deleted them for a few minutes and then, while still connected to the GPS, the laptop crashed! After restart, I imported one track, did not delete it or play around, and all worked fine again until we dropped the anchor over an hour later.
Old 28-11-2010, 16:28   #5

long tracks slow down OCPN

Any track of a few 100kb or more, when opened in ocpn, will noticeably slow down the program.