Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2023, 08:28   #1

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925
Quick access to NMEA debug windows & enhancement to it

sometimes I need to check the NMEA string because of new connections either new routing either debug of results.

sometimes is complicated to go setting > connections > show debug NMEA window and after that you have to close the settings windows otherwise you won't be able to work with O, when what you need is only to access that window for control and watching in background the results in OCPN.

it would be nice to have it in the dropdown menu of "tools" a direct command to "NMEA debug windows" overriding the access to complete setup ...

also, I've seen that could be useful apart from the window itself is working fine to have some more filters by means of checkboxes of stream directions.

marked in my screenshot, could be the option of select any of the options shown because sometimes I need to know what the accepted messages for output are, for input, rejected ones, etc. but individually not all at the same time.
e.g. I want to know valid the messages sent to Marine Traffic, but not the rejected.
and many other combinations to really debug and monitor the requested NMEA sentences.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sshot-3.png
Views:	33
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	282449  

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 22:16   #2

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
Use the JavaScript plugin?

This is not what you are asking for but a flexible way to perhaps get what you want.
A simple script for the JavaScript plugin can let you log a particular sentence without involving the NMEA debug window.

The below example will log the next RMB sentence. You can run it each each time you want to log the next sentence. When you are not using it, use the park button to park it out of the way.

Code:
lookfor = "RMB";
OCPNonNMEAsentence(logIt);

function logIt(it){
	sentence = it.value;
	if (sentence.slice(3,3) == lookfor){
		print(sentence, "\n");
		if (!it.OK) printOrange("Checksum was invalid\n");
		}
	else OCPNonNMEAsentence(logIt);
	}
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote