Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2022, 16:59   #1

Plotting Questions; Radar ranges; magnetic compass bearings; positions on Open CPN...

How to put a position on the chart using ranges and bearings to confirm satelite position is correct.
Raymond Pincott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 17:56   #2

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago
Plotting Questions; Radar ranges; magnetic compass bearings; positions on Open CPN...

How are going to measure the range?
Radar, vertical angle with a sextant?
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 18:00   #3

The question is aimed at the capability of OpenCPN to use Bearing Lines (BL) and Radar ranges (R) from a land based locations to plot a position on a Electronic Chart System (ECS) to verify the vessels position displayed by the Satellite system.
Old 06-12-2022, 18:05   #4

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Welcome to the forum.

Just to clarify, this is a cruisers, not mind readers forum.
The quality of the answer will usually reflect the quality of the question.

Sorry I can't help you, I mostly work with a pencil and paper charts.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 18:10   #5

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
How are going to measure the range?
Radar, vertical angle with a sextant?
And how are you going to check and verify the quality of your GNSS-derived position?

Some easy but partial answers:

1. if you employ an electronic charter or charting program, drop a waypoint on your selected range or chart object, then use a GOTO function to check the bearing and distance. Some charting programs will give bearing and distance info just with a mouse hover over a waypoint.

2. if you employ a sextant and have a smart device (aka Handy, handphone, or smartphone) do yourself a BIG favour and install Frank Reed's GPS Anti Spoof app. You've two options, GPS Anti Spoof is free of charge (for Android; a small fee for other operating systems) and checks sights of Sun, Venus, and Polaris for 3 days since its most recent refresh of the tables via data access. GPS Anti Spoof Pro costs money and then downloads a few months of tables for off-network use on Sun, Moon, Mars, Venus, Jupiter, and the 57 standard nav stars. Does all the work for you. Updated just a month or five ago. See: ReedNavigation.com
Old 06-12-2022, 18:12   #6

Thank you for your reply.
The problem is that the Hydrographic Departments around the world are looking at the economics of producing paper charts. The British Admiralty and Australian Hydrographs department of the navy have already announced that they are phasing out printing paper charts and they have stopped printing some charts already.
Old 06-12-2022, 19:46   #7

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Pincott View Post
The problem is that the Hydrographic Departments around the world are looking at the economics of producing paper charts. The British Admiralty and Australian Hydrographs department of the navy have already announced that they are phasing out printing paper charts and they have stopped printing some charts already.

They will still produce the source data.
There is nothing preventing a third party from printing their own charts using the official data.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 20:11   #8

Unfortunatly charts printed by a third party, although using official data will not comply with the Navigation Act of 2012, AMSA, SOLAS or the IMO. The chart has to be the latest Edition corrected to the latest Notice to Mariners issued and approved by a Government Authority.
The question is aimed at the capability of OpenCPN to use Bearing Lines (BL) and Radar ranges (R) from a land based locations to plot a position on a Electronic Chart System (ECS) to verify the vessels position displayed by the Satellite system.
Old 06-12-2022, 20:55   #9

Quote:
Just FYI, and we check on this regularly...

Quote:
Hi John,

Thanks for your email.

There has been no indication of when/if we will be ceasing production of all paper charts. We are currently in a process of chart rationalisation, but the paper charts are still being produced.

Hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards,

Anne Worden
Distribution Support Supervisor / Licensing Officer
Australian Hydrographic Office | MG Branch
Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organisation

Defence Intelligence Group | Department of Defence
Ph: +61 2 4286 9639 |
anne.worden@defence.gov.au | www.hydro.gov.au
....they have 'rationalised' a few charts already, but as of the 8th of this month the above applies.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 21:36   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Like this? You can also lay off range and bearing.

Most of us would be working with magnetic bearings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ocpn.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	268415  
Old 06-12-2022, 22:04   #11

Thank you for that, apply the Variation and Deviation for the magnetic compass bearing and use the result for the visual bearings.
What about the Radar ranges in restricted visability, how do I do that with OpenCPN?
Am I correct that you have used a nominal range not actual range?
Old 06-12-2022, 22:20   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Several questions:
A. What’s with the thread title? Seaworthy Lass is a username for one of the moderators.
B. I get that this is a navigation question but why not ask it in the OpenCPN sun-forum?
C. Does the Nav Act of 2012 apply to all mariners sailing on what I assume is Ausy flagged vessels or just commercial vessels?
D. What is a nominal range vs actual range? By nominal do you mean the measured range which may be subject to measurement error and differ from actual range or do you mean something else?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 22:37   #13

Quote:
Thank you for that, apply the Variation and Deviation for the magnetic compass bearing and use the result for the visual bearings.
What about the Radar ranges in restricted visability, how do I do that with OpenCPN?
Am I correct that you have used a nominal range not actual range?
Yes, they were just nominal ranges, what I would do if just using bearings to get a cocked hat..

You can use actual radar ranges by just making 'single leg routes' of the required length - in the pic vvv that is a 10 mile range.
Not sure if you can get range rings or not, and of course you are laying off reciprocals *from* the land.

Not perfect but do-able.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arange.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	268416  
Old 06-12-2022, 22:50   #14

A. Seaworthy Lass I assumed was a name allocated to me by your computer system. I am happy to change the name!
B. I will post the question where ever you suggest is the most relevant forum, how do the change over?
C. My understanding is that the 2012 Navigation Act applies to all Australian Commonwealth registered vessels, proceding overseas, not State Registered vessels.
D. From the illustration sent by "El Pinguino" the ranges used in the example are a random range, not an actual Radar range, the range is only being used to produce a bearing line on the electronic chart to get a fix.
I am not sure how he produced a bearing line in Open CPN yet.
Cheers
Raymond
Old 06-12-2022, 22:58   #15

Quote:
A. Seaworthy Lass I assumed was a name allocated to me by your computer system. I am happy to change the name!
B. I will post the question where ever you suggest is the most relevant forum, how do the change over?
C. My understanding is that the 2012 Navigation Act applies to all Australian Commonwealth registered vessels, proceding overseas, not State Registered vessels.
D. From the illustration sent by "El Pinguino" the ranges used in the example are a random range, not an actual Radar range, the range is only being used to produce a bearing line on the electronic chart to get a fix.
I am not sure how he produced a bearing line in Open CPN yet.
Cheers
Raymond
Go to 'Create Route' in the side bar or in the drop down menu under 'tools'.

Tags
seaworthy