Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 05:45   #16

Boat: Sailboat
Re: OpenCPN Version 3.0.1 Beta Build 0703

Polyconic chart 14500 Great Lakes

This is more of a planing chart, but still...

Picture 1: Using another program, it shows the track on chart 14500 going thru Oneida Lake, at the correct location. The track also follows the Erie Canal West of Lake Oneida reasonably well.

Picture 2: Opencpn: way off!!!

Also attached is the track, exported as gpx, renamed to .doc

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polyconic-14500b.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	43063   Click image for larger version

Name:	polyconic-14500a.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	43064  

Attached Files
File Type: doc 201207-track.gpx.doc (388.0 KB, 51 views)
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:07   #17

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
wd and Happy...

I'm lost. What are you talking about, in "developer English" please.
I see no picture from wd, and Happy's looks OK to me.

What am I missing?
Dave
Sorry here's the picture.

This didn't seem to happen in the previous release.

In my case, the smaller scale chart (Lake Superior) has coverage in the upper left of the quilt, and the larger scale chart (Great Lakes) shouldn't be quilted in. It (Great Lakes) has been adjusted to match the scale of the other chart (Lake Superior), but I don't think it belongs there.

If you remove the larger scale chart from the quilt, you get a black area where it was.

If you turn quilting off, you get the larger scale chart at the same true scale.

If you select the smaller scale chart from the chart bar you get the complete chart.

My example, by itself, doesn't hurt navigation (no relavent navigation data is lost), but if happy's examples are the same problem, we are losing relavent detail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Raster0703.gif
Views:	129
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	43066  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48   #18
Marine Service Provider

Happy...

Aha. The simple answer is that you need to change the "quilt reference chart". That's what the chart bar is for.

The "quilt reference chart" is the left-most (largest scale) chart highlighted in the chart bar.

Click the next chart blue button "one-to-the-right" of the of the current reference chart. The reference scale of the quilt will be decreased, but the viewport will not change. You should see the large scale chart disappear, and the reference chart changes to the one you want.

I'll look at wd's polyconic issue next.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:14   #19

Boat: 29'

Ok, Dave. Change chart at chartbar... I can easily live with that and it's not a navigation nuisance . But it's still seem odd that even if there are two charts of nearly same scale available and all other smaller scale charts are removed from the quilt , I will get this...

Name:	quiltoddity2.png
Views:	115
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	43069

and now look. O got p'd off and turned quilting off by herself...even though it's still ON in the toolbox...so I guess two charts are not enough for her to quilt!

Name:	quiltoddity3.png
Views:	147
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	43070
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:26   #20
Marine Service Provider

Happy...

First picture I understand. "Nearly same" is different from "same". O will not quilt charts of greater scale than the reference chart.

If you need more detail, go left in the chart bar. Less detail, go right.
Going left or right may cause a zoom to occur, if the target reference chart is radically different in scale from the current reference chart.
This is not new behavior.

Second picture I do not understand. I'll try to reproduce. Can you get back to quilted by zooming?

Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15   #21

Dave. well, in second picture she just got peed off as I scrolled and zoomed as more tests while writing that post for first picture...and no further zooming, scrolling, whatever, restored quilting ( and so I captured and sent the second picture too...)

...except a restart of O where-at she cancelled my "Do not quilt this chart" settings and recommenced quilting as it remained set in toolbox- So! back to normal which is just fine with me if nobody else has this- it's Not a bug 'til then? Only mentioned this in case somehow relevant to others.

retesting earlier beta 2.6131 -as-Portable gives same behaviour but seems to need harder pushing to get it, if that makes sense?
...nothing in log, on XP, older Dell with 1.6 Pentium-mobile, integrated graphics, GL on/off make no diff to this oddment if that's what it is.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28   #22

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Happy...

Aha. The simple answer is that you need to change the "quilt reference chart". That's what the chart bar is for.

The "quilt reference chart" is the left-most (largest scale) chart highlighted in the chart bar.

Click the next chart blue button "one-to-the-right" of the of the current reference chart. The reference scale of the quilt will be decreased, but the viewport will not change. You should see the large scale chart disappear, and the reference chart changes to the one you want.

I'll look at wd's polyconic issue next.
Dave
Oops. I don't think my problem is a problem. The Lake Superior chart has some white areas that must be definted to be "not chart", rather like we did in the ill fated DMA chart project. Ocpn is quilting the Great Lakes chart into this area.

On a separate subject, I think I have been confusing large scale and small scale. I've been thinking that a small scale chart had a smaller ratio like 1:5000, whereas a large scale chart had a large ratio like 1:1200000. Google tells me that this is this is wrong, and that scale refers to the relative size of the features on the chart. SO, 1:5000 is a large scale chart and 1:120000 is a small scale chart. Damn, I hate it when I'm wrong twice in one day.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46   #23
Marine Service Provider

wd....

Common mistake with chart scales. We say a chart may be 25,000, but the actual scale is 1/25,000. Big difference.

OCPN source code is loaded with this, since 25,000 is a nice integer, but 1/25,000 must be expressed as double floating point to retain accuracy.

cagney made a point once which has stuck with me:

"Small scale=small detail"

Works for me

Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 14:59   #24

PS, Dave. Per the subtleties per your post 20 above...I did not know that and will try to execute it properly underway with gps...it'll be hard, because I drink a lot of coffee and tend to pan around in the charts a lot... ie ...can I carry on long enough to make more coffeee on this tack?

Tags
opencpn