Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 18:50   #736

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Re: OpenCPN Radar Overlay PlugIn

Appears possibly problem in scanner, now no indication of network cable being connected. I tried with the laptop used on original install, same results, Scanner just past the 2 year point so just out of warranty.
Old 14-06-2016, 05:53   #737

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
Appears possibly problem in scanner, now no indication of network cable being connected. I tried with the laptop used on original install, same results, Scanner just past the 2 year point so just out of warranty.
Joe, When you turn on the scanner can you hear it spin up? If not, I would suspect problem is the scanner. If it does spin, I would suspect a firewall or security software blockage.
Old 14-06-2016, 06:11   #738

I'm trying to setup a back-up laptop to Gradar with OCPN 4.2, Gradar v1.5, Win 10, but it's not working. The Ethernet connection has been made successfully as "unidentified network". The Gradar icon shows an orange dot, but when I try to switch to the "master" mode I get an error "the radar overlay plugin is unable to directly control the radar scanner. Scanner is located at ip address 172.16.2.0."

Here is a cop of Pi log:

0: Found network interface: 127.0.0.1/8
1: Found network interface: 169.254.194.47/16
2: Scanner at 172.16.2.0 is <<NOT>> accessible for master control.
3: Successfully added to multicast group 239.254.2.0
4: UpdateState: PluginState [S] Searching (1) Scanner state: Unknown (0)
5: ->gradar_pi: First Packet Rx 6: UpdateState: PluginState [S] Searching (1) Scanner state: Standby (3)
7: Scan packets per tick: 1
8: UpdateState: PluginState [S] Standby (3) Scanner state: Standby (3)
9: Scan packets per tick: 1
10: True Heading: 0 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -5.44489 thpri: 99 mhpri: 99 vpri: 5

I'm using the same settings on my other laptop with Win 8.1 and it is working fine with Gradar plugin. I know I'm missing something here.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 17-06-2016, 19:57   #739
Marine Service Provider

Greg...

This is a Win10 firewall issue. Windows is unable to talk on the radar control port.

Code:
Scanner at 172.16.2.0 is <<NOT>> accessible for master control.
I'm no expert on Win10, but seem to recall some discussion about this earlier. Maybe (temporarily) disable the Windows Firewall?

Anyone?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 05:02   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Greg...

This is a Win10 firewall issue. Windows is unable to talk on the radar control port.

Code:
Scanner at 172.16.2.0 is <<NOT>> accessible for master control.
I'm no expert on Win10, but seem to recall some discussion about this earlier. Maybe (temporarily) disable the Windows Firewall?

Anyone?

Dave
Thanks for the help Dave. I did go into advanced settings on the firewall and turned off just the Ethernet, but I'll try turning off the whole firewall and see if that works. I'm trying to work out the Win 10 bugs using the Margaret's computer before upgrading my win 8.1 laptop. Hopefully, I'll end up with a primary and a back-up on Win10. I'll post again after I try it.
Old 18-06-2016, 07:13   #741

Boat: 37' TransPac Trawler, heavily modified

Looking at the picture of the amphenol F to F connector, it appears to me that the switch wire is soldered to either terminal 4 or 6 according to amphenols drawing of the connector. I don't want to short the wrong terminal to ground. Can I get a little help? The picture I am referring to is located earlier in this thread
LeoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 09:55   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Thanks for the help Dave. I did go into advanced settings on the firewall and turned off just the Ethernet, but I'll try turning off the whole firewall and see if that works. I'm trying to work out the Win 10 bugs using the Margaret's computer before upgrading my win 8.1 laptop. Hopefully, I'll end up with a primary and a back-up on Win10. I'll post again after I try it.
I turned off the whole firewall, but it didn't make a difference. I did finally figure it out the problem and it was not a Win 10 issue. I had forgotten that I had to do some configuration changes to the Ethernet adapter that I had done to Win 8.1. In case another cruiser gets stumped by this issue, this is the pathway to the setup: Go into Network Connections and right click on Ethernet; click on properties; highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on properties again; select "use the following IP address;" and enter the following: IP address 172.16.1.1; Subnet mask 255.255.240.0; default gateway 172.16.1.100. Once the Ethernet adapter had the right IP address the radar started working just fine.
Old 18-06-2016, 10:42   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoA View Post
Looking at the picture of the amphenol F to F connector, it appears to me that the switch wire is soldered to either terminal 4 or 6 according to amphenols drawing of the connector. I don't want to short the wrong terminal to ground. Can I get a little help? The picture I am referring to is located earlier in this thread
Leo, I assume you are referring to picture in post #241 which is the one I used for my connection. If you orient the amphenol connector the same way as the photo, the correct solder bump is in second row from top and second bump from the left. If you are able to zoom in on the photo, it is easier to see which solder bump to use. Good luck.
Old 18-06-2016, 12:03   #744

Okay, I have solder it there and the radar icon goes through bonking orange (warmup), then solid orange kstandby) but no further. Do I have to do something else to get to transmit stage? Thanks
Old 18-06-2016, 15:10   #745

Quote:
Okay, I have solder it there and the radar icon goes through bonking orange (warmup), then solid orange kstandby) but no further. Do I have to do something else to get to transmit stage? Thanks
Leo, Try doing a right click anywhere on the OCPN screen and select "radar control garmin". That will give you another pop-up window for radar control. Change operating mode to "master mode" and then click on the Garmin icon on the OCPN tool bar. Hopefully, the dot will go from orange to green and radar will start to paint targets after a few seconds.

If that doesn't solve it, we'll need to know more info on your setup like operating system on computer, settings on Ethernet adapter, and post a copy of your pi log file.
Old 18-06-2016, 15:43   #746

I am not at the boat right now, but I am using windows 10tablet that has no Ethernet port so I am trying it with a USB to Ethernet adapter. Windows says that there is an unidentified network connected on it. Ipv4 was set manually like a few posts up, but the adapter properties ipv4 says no network connectivity. Its is an Irulu Chinese made tablet. Let me see if I can locate and attach the plugin log file.
Old 19-06-2016, 09:12   #747

Quote:
I am not at the boat right now, but I am using windows 10tablet that has no Ethernet port so I am trying it with a USB to Ethernet adapter. Windows says that there is an unidentified network connected on it. Ipv4 was set manually like a few posts up, but the adapter properties ipv4 says no network connectivity. Its is an Irulu Chinese made tablet. Let me see if I can locate and attach the plugin log file.
The "unidentified network" message for your Ethernet adapter is a good sign. It sees the network, but perhaps the data is not being passed. Did you try turning off the windows firewall or any other security software? If you can post the log file, that may help us diagnose the problem. Another important check: when you turn on the switch connected to the amphenol connector you should hear the scanner motor spinning... it is quite noisy.
Old 19-06-2016, 09:17   #748

Quote:
I forgot to mention one more tip. I found that I must turn on radar BEFORE launching OCPN. Don't know why, but radar doesn't work unless I turn on radar first.
Old 20-06-2016, 09:29   #749

Okay, I got it working this morning. I turned off both Windows firewall and Windows defender, manually set the ip address for the ethernet card and I now have the radar working. Thanks for the tips and help
Old 20-06-2016, 09:37   #750

Quote:
Okay, I got it working this morning. I turned off both Windows firewall and Windows defender, manually set the ip address for the ethernet card and I now have the radar working. Thanks for the tips and help
Congratulations Leo!

Tags
opencpn, paracelle, radar