Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 01:00   #76

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.1117 Released

Numbers spacing refers in fact to 'minimum spacing'
That means when you zoom in , the spacing become equal to the grib data resolution.(for example 0.5° x 0.5 °) So the result of a change in spacing value is only visible when you zoom out and ovoid a cluttered screen and the "numbers" to be over-written (try with a low value to see that)
It would be possible to have a fixed spacing but that means interpolation and in this case, at the moment, I stumble over a big performance problem.
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 05:30   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Littlechay

-If by "shading" you refer to coloured overlay , it is available for all parameters including wind.
just open the setting dialogue, choice the concerned parameter, click "overlay" and choice the better colour.
-All parameters you have mentioned are available:
Yes shading for wind is there, I was confused due to it not working depending on zoom level. See attached screen shots.

As for the parameters; I was describing how I use weather viewer: that's all. Not whinging, not demanding.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 05:52   #78

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Jean Pierre
Quote:
for the missing function, (500mb wind & pressure, a 'meteogram' and overlay size ) please open a new task in flyspray grib
I will add this to tracker, but I don't know of any gribs that are available for this. The Weatherfax_pi plugin can download these NOAA raster files and display on charts however.

Another data type that might be very useful in grib would be "Wave Period". This seems to be available in various services, I do not know the grib sources yet, anyone know?

-Shouldn't this detailed discussion move to one of the Grib threads???
Like here? http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...100414-19.html
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 05:59   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Jean Pierre

I will add this to tracker, but I don't know of any gribs that are available for this. The Weatherfax_pi plugin can download these NOAA raster files and display on charts however.
I've added them already.

On saildocs requesting HGT gives you the 500mB data; so that should be very easy.

You can get if a whole range of other heights other then 500mB but that is the most commonly used.

Most people don't have internet when at sea so the raster download facility is no use.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:00   #80

Quote:
Sometimes its nice to have weather on the chart too though, and this is getting there.
Its there through weatherfax_pi plugin.. use

Marine Radiofax charts
Pick mobile version for good links.

Surface Analysis 24hr, 48hr, 96hr, 500mb, etc full gambut

You can also use Weatherfax with SSB to receive these.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:11   #81

Quote:
Its there through weatherfax_pi plugin.. use

Marine Radiofax charts
Pick mobile version for good links.

Surface Analysis 24hr, 48hr, 96hr, 500mb, etc full gambut

You can also use Weatherfax with SSB to receive these.
Please think global for users of this software. I'm currently in the SW Atlantic. There are no fax transmissions here. The only service working in South America these days is the Chilean service and that only covers the Pacific side and the Drake.

Brasil does a good synoptic for the SW Atlantic but it's only available online.

So in this, very large, chunk of the world we are limited to GRIBs and, if you the equipment, satellite images from the NOAA LEO sats.. It should be possible to overlay the satellite images too but calibrating them is not easy. The fax module should be able to decode the signal, but putting it in the right place on the chart is not so easy.
Old 25-11-2013, 07:04   #82

I agree about coverage of course.
Quote:
The fax module should be able to decode the signal, but putting it in the right place on the chart is not so easy.
Sean Depagnier's Weatherfax_pi has developed the ability to save user settings, so putting it in the right place should be easy once you have the setup. This plugin needs more users and testing and real experience, but it is really quite a remarkable piece of work.
Old 25-11-2013, 07:38   #83

For reply to Ptizef
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1399373

Please See: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1399589
Old 25-11-2013, 13:31   #84

Quote:
I agree about coverage of course.

Sean Depagnier's Weatherfax_pi has developed the ability to save user settings, so putting it in the right place should be easy once you have the setup. This plugin needs more users and testing and real experience, but it is really quite a remarkable piece of work.
No you misunderstand me. Data from the NOAA LEO satellites is transmitted continuously as a fax signal of the sub-satellite point. It would need a fairly complex bit of code to predict the satellite pass, correlate the acquisition time of the signal with the sub-satellite point, maintain that for the duration of the pass. I suppose the fax plugin could be used with images received with WxtoImg or similar. I don't have an antenna for my receiver at the moment so can't test it..

Sorry for the noise on this thread. I'll shut up
Old 26-11-2013, 03:15   #85

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Jean Pierre (Ptizef) ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
In fact there are two parameters without any action:
- "Range" for wind barbed arrows we are speaking about
- "Size" for waves and current direction arrows for waves and current
What would be a useful parameter to replace these ?
Any idea ?
Jean Pierre
Thank you for your reply. The new version of grib plugin suits me quite well. I tested displays, download ... What I tried did not pose major problems. By cons , it is trying to achieve translations items language files correctly I encountered problems . Read my post # 70 and Dave 's response in post # 72 in this thread.
Will require translations to be consistent with the context of use of the items when they appear on several pot file.

Since, he seems to draw lines of equal pressure or equal wind speed , or ... it seems useful to me (perhaps important):
- Can decide to show or not
- Be able to decide their spacing (only when it is decided to show )
- To be able to visually identify easily with different colors.

But as always, in my mind, must OpenCPN is capable of displaying all these lines quickly without having to do too much calculation .

As always, I dream of a " white elephant " ... Easy to use for beginners and sophisticated for pro ...

B.R. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 20:13   #86

I'd like to compile 3.3.1117

I forked OpenCPN some time ago, 5 months, https://github.com/rgleason/OpenCPN
SHA or Latest commit daf42147f9312d6ca75f56edc39231daffb3e756

I cloned that repository today.
Then followed https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo
Step 2 Clone your fork and
Step 3 Configure remotes (upstream)
Did the git fetch upstream. Nothing was updated so I guess it was current.

I then tried to compile from the build directory first with cmake .. and then cmake --build with success. Then in MSVC++ when I compiled it was successful, so I went to Debug and the program had a fault, several times.

1. I am guessing I've forgotten to add some necessary files? Is that so?
2. I'd like to bring my fork at https://github.com/rgleason/OpenCPN to be current with the main program anyway and perhaps that will fix the breaks with memory errors. Is there a way to do that? Thanks.

Call stack output
Code:
  opencpn.exe!ocpnStyle::intHash_wxImplementation_HashTable::GetNode(const wxString & key)  Line 46 + 0x3d bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!ocpnStyle::intHash::find(const wxString & key)  Line 46 + 0x1e bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!ocpnStyle::Style::GetIcon(const wxString & name)  Line 173 + 0x29 bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!WayPointman::ProcessIcons(ocpnStyle::Style * style)  Line 1033 + 0x71 bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!WayPointman::WayPointman()  Line 961    C++
     opencpn.exe!MyApp::OnInit()  Line 1295 + 0x34 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxAppConsole::CallOnInit()  Line 76 + 0x14 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEntryReal(int & argc, wchar_t * * argv)  Line 432 + 0x1b bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEntry(int & argc, wchar_t * * argv)  Line 209 + 0xd bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEntry(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, int nCmdShow)  Line 386 + 0xe bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)  Line 748 + 0x1c bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!__tmainCRTStartup()  Line 547 + 0x2c bytes    C
     opencpn.exe!WinMainCRTStartup()  Line 371    C
     kernel32.dll!76d3336a()     
     [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for kernel32.dll]    
     ntdll.dll!779f9f72()     
     ntdll.dll!779f9f45()
Old 27-11-2013, 13:07   #87

After checking out some other local git repositories, it appears I did not copy the "Data" directories separately into the new "build" folder. After cmake twice and Rebuild in MSVC++ I still get an immediate break with the following error output:

>
Quote:
opencpn.exe!ocpnStyle::intHash_wxImplementation_Ha shTable::GetNode(const wxString & key) Line 46 + 0x3d bytes C++
opencpn.exe!ocpnStyle::intHash::find(const wxString & key) Line 46 + 0x1e bytes C++
opencpn.exe!ocpnStyle::Style::GetIcon(const wxString & name) Line 173 + 0x29 bytes C++
opencpn.exe!WayPointman::ProcessIcons(ocpnStyle::S tyle * style) Line 1033 + 0x71 bytes C++
opencpn.exe!WayPointman::WayPointman() Line 961 C++
opencpn.exe!MyApp::OnInit() Line 1295 + 0x34 bytes C++
wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxAppConsole::CallOnInit( ) Line 76 + 0x14 bytes C++
wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEntryReal(int & argc, wchar_t * * argv) Line 432 + 0x1b bytes C++
wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEntry(int & argc, wchar_t * * argv) Line 209 + 0xd bytes C++
wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEntry(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, int nCmdShow) Line 386 + 0xe bytes C++
opencpn.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) Line 748 + 0x1c bytes C++
opencpn.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() Line 547 + 0x2c bytes C
opencpn.exe!WinMainCRTStartup() Line 371 C
kernel32.dll!76d3336a()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for kernel32.dll]
ntdll.dll!779f9f72()
ntdll.dll!779f9f45()
I thought it might be a corrupted wxWidgets, but other repositories compile. I think I've seen this error before....?

Still hacking around with Github and Git GUI, trying to learn how to do it.
Old 27-11-2013, 19:45   #88

Maybe this will help me compile the current 3.3.1117 successfully.

Syncing a fork https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork
It should sync my forked OpenCPN repository.

Update a Github Fork from the Original Repo
Update a Github Fork from the Original Repo | San Diego Ruby on Rails Developer | Bradly Feeley

Git Forks And Upstreams: How-to and a cool tip
https://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/07/...streams-forks/
Old 27-11-2013, 20:16   #89

Syncing a fork https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork
It should sync my forked OpenCPN repository.

Actually it synced my local repository with github opencpn/opencpn
That did not help with compiling, still cmake compiles with no errors, and so does MSVC++ Build, but running Debug creates instant break, so compiling is a different problem.

I compile a Release version and it loads successfully and shows v3.3.1009.
I am not having much success tonight!
Old 28-11-2013, 20:56   #90

Boat: Nova, aft cabin, 42'

Tested beta Version 3.3.1117 for Windows...
Hello... I'm a newbie here. Thanks for OpenCPN and Cruisers Forum. I've been using OpenCPN for 9 months,
but only for route planning, and like it very much... Yesterday I downloaded and installed beta Version
3.3.1117 for Windows... (replaced my Ver 2.2.2). I liked the "familiar look and feel" as the software self-
installed with no problems. I was really pleased and excited to see in my new OpenCPN.ini file, "Garmin
USB Device Found" & "Successful Garmin USB syncup". Ver 2.2.2 couldn't find my USB device... This is a
great improvement, thanks... I can't wait to see my GPS data show-up on future version 3.6 Was reading
3.6 changes, and it said something about "USB port control"... I'm hoping that change will finally permit
"display" of my GPS data.... Then I can use OpenCPN for actual live navigation... Thanks again for
OpenCPN and Cruisers Forum... Peter
Just Playin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn