Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2020, 02:12   #1

Boat: Aloa 27
OpenCPN and Ubuntu Groovy on RPi-4 doesn't work

Hello,
I've just installed on my RPi-4 Ubuntu 64 bits, last version "Groovy" with Xfce desktop.
It works fine but I cannot install OpenCPN.

PPA for this version seems to not existing at this time .
I've tried to modify ppa to search in ubuntu focal release but this way is wrong and installing OpenCPN seems to be OK but opening OpenCPN doesn't works > empty window...

Should I wait for a release or update for an ubuntu groovy Release ?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my poor english.
Phil
Phil_Fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 11:32   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: OpenCPN and Ubuntu Groovy on RPi-4 doesn't work

From Ubuntu's web site.

Quote:
Long term support and interim releases

LTS or ‘Long Term Support’ releases are published every two years in April. LTS releases are the ‘enterprise grade’ releases of Ubuntu and are utilised the most. An estimated 95% of all Ubuntu installations are LTS releases.

Every six months between LTS versions, Canonical publishes an interim release of Ubuntu, with 20.10 being the latest example. These are production-quality releases and are supported for 9 months, with sufficient time provided for users to update, but these releases do not receive the long-term commitment of LTS releases.
OpenCPN normally only guarantees support for LTS releases.
The latest is Focal 20.04, the next one is 22.04. So do not expect any PPA for Groovy.
Depending on the actual updates, the interim releases may or may not work using the latest LTS release. Have you tried to use the Focal release?
Have you swapped groovy for focal in your config file?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 04:49   #3

Hi, Thomas,
Yes, that's what I was thinking when I've downloaded latest version of Ubuntu for RPi. I've had same problem when installing 20.04 on my computer and must wait some update and upgrade (programs and kernel) to have a fully working system...
I've tried this latest version because it is the only version in 64 bits for a best management or RAM (8Go) but I'll return to Buster in 32 bits, even Rii BT keyboard is recognized but not installed as well, to much problems of compatibility.
I'll try focal but I'm not sure it works.

I'll wait...
Thanks for your quick answer.
Philippe
Old 27-10-2020, 08:11   #4

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fr View Post
Hello,
I've just installed on my RPi-4 Ubuntu 64 bits, last version "Groovy" with Xfce desktop.
It works fine but I cannot install OpenCPN.

PPA for this version seems to not existing at this time .
I've tried to modify ppa to search in ubuntu focal release but this way is wrong and installing OpenCPN seems to be OK but opening OpenCPN doesn't works > empty window...

Should I wait for a release or update for an ubuntu groovy Release ?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my poor english.
Phil
Here the Ubuntu Groovy Gorilla is working perfect with a nice interface. Great for touchscreens.

OpenCPN 5.2.4 is working with the Oesenc charts with the Oesenc plug. Also with SignalK server running.

I used the Groovy Desktop version. Not the server version.

Also running here from my PCIe SSD without an SD card in the system.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 03:56   #5

Hello Bram,
Thanks for your answer and good news about Ubuntu Groovy Gorilla.
I've tried both version, desktop and server, and to each, installed Xfce desktop.
This was those version :
ubuntu-20.10-preinstalled-desktop-arm64+raspi.img.xz
and

ubuntu-20.04.1-preinstalled-server-arm64+raspi.img.xz

You can see that versions are different (20.04 and 20.10).

I don't want to speak about Bluetooth problemS I have had with an Rii BT (I'll return to Amazon).
I'll check again, because everythig is working well on Rasbian Buster.
Can you give me the name of your image you downloaded ?
Mins was in 64 bits.
Old 28-10-2020, 05:31   #6

This the one I used for the Raspberry Pi 4 2 GB:
groovy-preinstalled-desktop-arm64+raspi.img.xz

Comes with the standard desktop I use. For OpenCPN you must choose the Focal version.

Everything is running very well: OpenCPN, Oesenc charts with Plug, SignalK server. Fldigi for the SSB Navtex messages.

I like the new interface very much on a touchscreen display.

The OpenPlotter extra's however did not install.

Now running from a PCIe NVME SSD (usb) without an SD card in the system.

Regards,

Bram
Old 28-10-2020, 05:53   #7

Thanks ! I'll download this image and test it.
I don't have touchscreen, just a TV set and I install always images or distros directly on an USB3.0 SSD of 120Go. I don' use SD card, I've modified the RPi firmware for.
I use a 8Go RPi 4 model.

Best regards,
Phil
Old 28-10-2020, 06:27   #8

Hi Phil,

the Ubuntu versions don't have the application Pi-clone (SD copy). Which is a pity. If I make with dd an image of the SDD, it is too large to put it on a back-up SD.

If you like to have a copy of you SSD image version on an SD card. You can us the rpi-clone version of the RasiOS. Simply the SSD on one USB port and a card-reader on another. Now you can make a copy of your SSD with the Groovy on an SD card. Or the other way.

With an SSD you don't need any settings on the RPI. Just upgrade to the latest RaspiOS version then a new Eeprom version is installed. Then it boots from an SSD.

I'am using the RASPIOS 64 bits also fo a long time.

Regards,

Bram
Old 28-10-2020, 09:32   #9

Bram,
I've searched for groovy-preinstalled-desktop-arm64+raspi.img.xz but only found20.10 server or desktop version.
And the best joke of the day is that I thought I found an image to install it on the Rpi, but this image was made for an AMD64 environment ...
I didn't pay attention, I burned this image 'x' times to the disc and every time I plugged the disc into the RPi it would boot on a non-working Ubuntu desktop ...
I figured out, but a bit late that AMD64 image does not work on an ARM and I was booting to the card every time...
Okay, now, I'm going to keep looking for that famous image that seems to work and that you're telling me about.Where have you found this image ?
But for tonight, zen, I move on!
Old 28-10-2020, 10:38   #10

Hi Phil,

I'am not sure but I think it was this:

https://ubuntu.com/raspberry-pi/desktop

If you think your speakers have a probleem. That is not the case. It is the roar of the Gorilla at the start screen.

ARM64 en AMD64 looks almost the same. On my AMD64 the Groovy is also running very well. And boths have one of the latest kernels 5.8.

Don't forget the do the upgrades.

Regards,

Bram
Old 28-10-2020, 10:56   #11

I've just checked, there is only ver. 20.10 for desktop, maybe they have removed ver.20.04 ? So I'll wait and stay on Buster. OpenCPN works fine on it but it is a 32 bits version.
About Ubuntu server or desktop version, I have tried to use a Bluetooth keyboard on the RPi, but it was always a login screen on Ubuntu session, just before it switch to Xubuntu (Xfce) and no Bluetooth activated, so I cannot connect on the RPi with this BT keyboard, I must use another KB connected with a dongle, not useful...
Maybe I do not made correctly the configuration of the OS, because I don't use password when opening my session, I'm alone.

Thanks for your help,
Phil
Old 29-10-2020, 02:53   #12

Just finished to install Groovy Gorilla on SSD, working fine, but the major problem is bluetooth connection.
Connection window does not have BT activated, then if I want to use a BT keyboard, I cannot connect or log in with this device, I must use a dongle keyboard.
Same in BT parameters, I can pair this BT keyboard but it is clearly specified that BT is used for file transfers, so a BT keyboard cannot be used as a normal keyboard for login.
I'll check if I can find some modifications on this OS, but I'm not very confident with Ubuntu, only with Xubuntu, and even I install Xfce extension to have Xubuntu desktop, I should have this same problem when connecting or attempt to connect on my RPi.
Old 29-10-2020, 03:32   #13

Hi Phil,

I have here a Belkin BT keyboard. Did a try to get the keyboard working.

Go to the Bluetooth settings.

Let the BT scan for devices. Set the BT keyboard for discovery. And then the keyboard is seen by the Groovy on my RPI and appears as Belkin keyboard.

Then a number appeared to pair the connection. Keyed in this number on the Bluetooth device.

And then the keyboard is also connected. With a lot of settings. Did not tried these..

It seems I can be done.

Regards,

Bram
Old 29-10-2020, 04:34   #14

My keyboard appears in Bluetooth settings, it is paired and recognized as keyboard (so I entered the number for pairing this device but impossible to activate connection button in the Bluetooth 3.0 keyboard.
That is the major problem.
In bluetoothctl agent, it is visible, but when I try to connect it by Mac address, "Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failed" message appears.

I've tried some other links found on the web about this problem, no chance for me, even when restarting system. It seems this keyboard is not compatible with RPi but only with Windows, Apple and Linux AMD systems because I can connect it on my Dell Xubuntu laptop.
Best Regards,
Phil

Tags
enc, opencpn, work