Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 20:32   #1

OpenCPN and GPS

Good morning,i have OpenCPN and a usb gps receiver Skylab SKM55,the problem i have is the position,it always showing my position sideway,even if i have full signal at the gps receiver.The difference for showing me sideway it differs from 10-20m up to 50-60m.I wonder,i must calibrate it somewhere?
Gabriel27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 09:55   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: OpenCPN and GPS

What chart are you using, and what is the chart datum?
Is it WGS84 compatible.
If you compare he gps reading of a known object with the lat&long from google-earth - is there still an offset?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 10:13   #3

I'm using an Inland ECDIS 2.1(.000) chart made by local administration of the river for Danube river.And from what i've read on google about chart datum...this map have only 3 values of depth from which are made the contoures.
And unfortunately i haven't had time to compare it the gps reading on google earth..
And what do you mean by WGS84?
Also on the software which was delivered with the gps the altitude was never correct,does this have an effect of the position on map?
Gabriel27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 13:26   #4

I am using a Garmin etrex GPS connected to my computer running OpenCPN. This GPS works flawlessly with other mapping software I have but not with OpenCPN. My settings in the OpenCPN Tools/GPS menu are correct & Open CPN seems to recognize that my GPS is attached to the correct com port but my data stream window is empty & my location is not showing on the chart. Can anyone help me complete my OpenCPN/GPS connection so OpenCPN correctly identifys my location?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Mark
Mark Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 15:10   #5

Also: The OpenCPN manual said that OpenCPN users were experiencing problems with the GlobalSat BU-353 GPS receiver. Have these problems been worked out or is the BU-353 still not recommened for use with OpenCPN running in Windows 7? If they have been worked out I would consider buying the BU-353 to run in OpenCPN.

Thanks again, Mark
Mark Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 10:34   #6

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ward View Post
I am using a Garmin etrex GPS connected to my computer running OpenCPN. This GPS works flawlessly with other mapping software I have but not with OpenCPN. My settings in the OpenCPN Tools/GPS menu are correct & Open CPN seems to recognize that my GPS is attached to the correct com port but my data stream window is empty & my location is not showing on the chart. Can anyone help me complete my OpenCPN/GPS connection so OpenCPN correctly identifys my location?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Mark
Mark, assuming you are on a windows computer and since other apps can see the gps, perhaps try "xport" or a similar emulator as an intermediary just to see. It's a useful app anyways, because you can run two nav programs from the same gps at the same time!
The other things that come to mind are the settings in the gps itself.Double-check and Set this to NMEA output,not "Garmin".
also, a "search" of this opencpn forum or the navigation forum may turn up something solved specific to the etrex.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 10:53   #7

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

My BU-353 works well. Just make sure you let it do its thing before opening OpenCPN.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 12:19   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
My BU-353 works well. Just make sure you let it do its thing before opening OpenCPN.
same here. i am using bu-353 for few years now with opencpn and never had one single problem. actually i already crossed biscay twice using this combination, only what you just said, i first let bu-353 to pick up satelite and then i open ocpn.
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, opencpn