Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 15:48   #1

Open CPN Waypoints

When I create a route in Open CPN 4.0.0 the waypoints for the route are not shown in the list of waypoints. Then they can't be loaded to my GPS when I export the route to the GPS.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

Tom
tomeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 15:51   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Open CPN Waypoints

Tom...
This is by design, if you want to have the route go through real waypoints, you have to create them first, otherwise they are only part of the route.
What model is your GPS?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 16:21   #3

Wow! That is a really bad and unsafe feature. That makes it hard to check the Lat & Long of the waypoints after they have been loaded on the GPS...To make sure they are correct.

Question: After I create the route in Open CPN, is there a way to convert the waypoints to "real" downloadable waypoints in Open CPN without manually putting in the Lat & Long for each of the waypoints?

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 6008 as my main chartplotter and a Garmin GPSMAP 547 as a backup.

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-02-2015, 17:11   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeclipse View Post
Wow! That is a really bad and unsafe feature. That makes it hard to check the Lat & Long of the waypoints after they have been loaded on the GPS...To make sure they are correct.
Why? The route points have exactly the same properties as the isolated waypoints, just do not appear on the waypoint tab not to clutter it.
Quote:
Question: After I create the route in Open CPN, is there a way to convert the waypoints to "real" downloadable waypoints in Open CPN without manually putting in the Lat & Long for each of the waypoints?
There is nothing like "real" downloadable and "not real" not downloadable waypoint. What there is is a problem with certain Garmin units not being able to accept routes sent by OpenCPN. If your unit can accept only the individual waypoints sent by OpenCPN and you already have created a route without using the existing isolated waypoints, the easiest way to "convert" the routepoints to waypoints is to export the GPX and edit it in a text editor.
Or import the GPX route created by OpenCPN to another program that is able to talk to your plotter better. Perhaps Garmin Homeport?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 18:23   #5

OK, I will try a few of your ideas. I have been downloading my routes created in Open CPN to a file on my computer, then opening that file with Mapsource and loading it on to my GPS. I will try using Homeport or Easy GPS.

I'm not sure how to see the waypoint lat & Long on my GPS if the waypoint isn't in the waypoint list on my GPS.

I really do appreciate your input. Thank you.

Tom
s/v Eclipse
Old 11-02-2015, 19:15   #6

Quote:
OK, I will try a few of your ideas. I have been downloading my routes created in Open CPN to a file on my computer, then opening that file with Mapsource and loading it on to my GPS. I will try using Homeport or Easy GPS.

I'm not sure how to see the waypoint lat & Long on my GPS if the waypoint isn't in the waypoint list on my GPS.

I really do appreciate your input. Thank you.

Tom
s/v Eclipse
I believe that MapSource has been replaced by Basecamp and Homeport. Basecamp is free and geared toward hiking and topo maps. But in some limited playing around with it, it seems like it maymight import .gpx files for export into a Garmin GPS. I have not actually tried exporting, though.

I purchased Homeport before I realized that Basecamp was available for free. It successfully imports .gpx files from OpenCPN and exports them to my GPS.

Like all Garmin PC software, the interface for Homeport and Basecamp really sucks. I mean really...
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:38   #7

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 6008 as my main chartplotter and a Garmin GPSMAP 547 as a backup.

Thanks

Tom
Tom, I may misunderstand your problem; but, the route properties screen has a list of the WP and their coordinates. Could you use this to check the garmin upload?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:50   #8

I don't think I have a Route Properties screen on my Garmin GPSMAP 547. Do you know how to find the screen?

Tom
Old 12-02-2015, 08:47   #9

Quote:
I don't think I have a Route Properties screen on my Garmin GPSMAP 547. Do you know how to find the screen?

Tom
I think he was referring to the Route Properties screen in OpenCPN.

I don't consider the feature to be unsafe in any way. If OpenCPN showed every route waypoint on the Waypoints tab, the list would be so cluttered up with unimportant waypoints that I would not be able to find the important ones.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:33   #10

The only waypoints I ever have are the ones I used as starting, turning and destination points on my routes. So all my waypoints are important. Miss one of those and I might be aground.

Tom
Old 12-02-2015, 19:28   #11

Quote:
The only waypoints I ever have are the ones I used as starting, turning and destination points on my routes. So all my waypoints are important. Miss one of those and I might be aground.

Tom
The same can be said for all waypoints that are used in a route. What one person considers "important" may be different from another person. My reference to "important" waypoints were marinas, obstacles, bridges, anchorages, and other important landmarks that I want to see listed in my waypoint database. I also have dozens of routes using hundreds of waypoints, but I consider them less "important" because they are just spots in the water - not specific landmarks. If they were listed in my waypoint list, I'd have a huge number of waypoints named 001, 002, 003, etc. and the names would not be unique because every route has the same set of numbers. I definitely do not want those showing in the list.

Like you, I don't want to miss a turn along my route. But my likelihood of missing a turn is no greater because they're not in my waypoint list. And I know I can easily bring them up for inspection by simply double-clicking on the route.

As with most things with OpenCPN there is an easy workaround. If you want all your route points to show up as permanent waypoints, then just create a series of permanent waypoints by right-clicking and selecting "Drop Mark." You can give each mark any name you want to. Then go to the route creation tool and click on each waypoint along the route. OpenCPN will give you the option of using that waypoint for your route. Then you'll have it set up just the way you want it.

FWIW, I have never heard of waypoints or routes getting transferred into a GPS and then being incorrect. I've heard of people who could not transfer them at all, but for those who were able to transfer them, I never heard of them being at a different lon/lat.

And do you really need to check the lon/lat of every single point? I would think that just looking at the route on the chart would give you a good confirmation that each waypoint was in the right place. If it's in the wrong ocean or on land, you'll notice pretty quickly.

Note, also, that one of the more common sources of errors on chartplotters is the calibration, projection, or datum of the charts. So you could check lon/lat of each waypoint and confirm that it's exactly correct, but then find that it puts you on land when you thought it would put you on water. That's another reason why looking at the route graphically on the chartplotter may be better.

For example, here's a shoreline-hugging track of our stop-off at BVI customs at Little Harbour Jost Van Dyke, displayed on NOAA's chart of the area. I'm happy to say that we did not hit ground despite what the chart showed. The captain knew the area well, so didn't even use a chartplotter. I captured the track in my handheld to gain local knowledge, and I am glad I did:

Garmin's chart of the area had an equally bad error in the other direction:

Prior to my next visit, I De-Zoomified the NGA chart of the area and carefully calibrated it. It is much more reliable:

Tags
open cpn