Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 06:33   #1

New FREE map service from Norwegian ´Kartverket`

A new map service is available from Norwegian ´Kartverket` in several formats including maritime. You select the desired area with an expandable selector which is also able to correct the 6º skew which has been imposed on all the maps. You can also select vertical/landscape format for either A4,A3 or A2. Zoomed in versions only work for A4 size,other sizes cover larger areas but in zoomed out format.

The final stage saves 3 files you can locate in the GE2KAP directory for later converting to .KAP format. Quick, and very easy to use.

http://kart.kystverket.no/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture-20161005-104530.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	132334   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture-20161005-103520.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	132335  

sinbad8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:47   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: New FREE map service from Norwegian ´Kartverket`

Sweet bananas. I used similar stuff from Norwegians on my Android App.

What a shame other governments (especially the Royal ones ...) are not that generous ...

Good find! THX for sharing!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

The site is more advanced than you might expect. It is possible to chose between several types of map's over the same area, also including satellite and areal photos (witch has much better resolution and quality than google satellite photos) - on top of any of these charts you can then overlay almost any type of overlay data, including maritime ENC data such as buoys, lighthouses, fairways, subsea installations etc.

It is possible to create geo referenced jpg 's with the overlay you choose with a resolution down to 1:625 and a"print size" up to A2. You an download this file direct and for free - The file from the website can easily be converted to a kap file for opencpn. Se example attached screen shoot showing a areal photo displayed in opencpn as a .kap , made from a geo referenced jpg from the website
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AIs-prit.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	132350  
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 13:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

I attach a screen dump showing the layer manager at right, where you can chose to overlay layers on many types of satellite photos, areal photos, nautical maps, basic maps etc. The attached screendump show 1:20000 resolution, but you can go down to 1:625 in resolution. Navigational installations and ENC data are up to date in "real time"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	layer-map.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	132351  
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 14:54   #5

Incredible indeed Petter,had no idea it was that comprehensive,I will certainly have another look.

I am a fan of creating large area maps at zoomed-in scale. i.e. SASPlanet and TerraIncognita but was missing a maritime look. I also use NoniMap View for the same reason but they have no maritime maps.

If you select the desired scale and choose to produce a map in anything but A4 format, the scale changes. Is there another way to use f.ex. tiles?

Our mutual colleague Paul Higgins very kindly created a special version of his GE2KAP map builder compatible with this Kystverket map source. He is away for a couple of weeks but will be VERY interested to hear about these added functions he was not aware of.

You probably gathered I am also Norwegian. You can contact me on tore@yachtmarine.com URL: BRAZIL CONSULTANT: Realestate,Property rentals,Husleie i Brasil,Tourism,Yacht-Megayacht charters,Yacht Building,Wavepiercers,Trawler Yachts,Brokerage,Marine Systems,AIS,Furniture,interior design
sinbad8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service