Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 05:36   #16

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: Making Charts ?

Acedude..

Doesn't OpenCPN open SENC charts?
Easy task to take a screen dump as a .jpg and calibrate to .kap fomat using one of the
many conversion progs avaiable.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:41   #17

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: Making charts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
MapMaker is one I've used to create land based maps. but should work fine for Charts as well. You can start with a satellite image, trace it and then plot GPS coordinates which can be downloaded directly from a handheld GPS.
You can pick up a USB GPS receiver kind of cheap and have the GPS fix directly input to your computer. I paid less than $30 for mine.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:43   #18

System ENC (SENC)
The format in which ENC data is distributed has been an issue that the Hydrographic Community has discussed for some time, the critical issues being protection and the implementation of data in the Navigation System. In order to be displayed on a navigation system S57 data must be compiled into an internal format that can be displayed on Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems - ECDIS. This format is known as the 'System ENC' or SENC. The International Hydrographic Organisation has ratified the concept of distribution of official ENC data in a SENC format. The Norwegian Hydrographic Service worked closely with Det Norske Veritas to define type approval requirements for distribution of S57 data in SENC format and C-MAP was the first company to have their SENC format type approved by DNV. From an end-user's point of view the distribution of official data in a SENC format has the major advantage that there is no compilation of data required on-board when installing the data in the ECDIS system. Not only does this save time but it also means that the navigator on the bridge is never faced with the problem of handling errors that may arise in a compilation process. All compilation takes place in a controlled environment prior to distribution to the vessel. In the case of the SENC format developed by C-MAP, the data is encrypted and highly compressed which is a great cost saving advantage when data is transferred via satellite communications.

If you have CM93 v2 installed with OpenCPN,you could easily copy the screens and convert to .kap format.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:43   #19

Acedude..

Here is a typical conversion from a CM93 map to the .KAP (.BSB) format:

Download it here:CANARY ISLANDS-B.kap - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_01 Aug. 01 09.52.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	30100  
Old 01-08-2011, 11:06   #20

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
System ENC (SENC)
The format in which ENC data is distributed has been an issue that the Hydrographic Community has discussed for some time, the critical issues being protection and the implementation of data in the Navigation System. In order to be displayed on a navigation system S57 data must be compiled into an internal format that can be displayed on Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems - ECDIS. This format is known as the 'System ENC' or SENC. The International Hydrographic Organisation has ratified the concept of distribution of official ENC data in a SENC format. The Norwegian Hydrographic Service worked closely with Det Norske Veritas to define type approval requirements for distribution of S57 data in SENC format and C-MAP was the first company to have their SENC format type approved by DNV. From an end-user's point of view the distribution of official data in a SENC format has the major advantage that there is no compilation of data required on-board when installing the data in the ECDIS system. Not only does this save time but it also means that the navigator on the bridge is never faced with the problem of handling errors that may arise in a compilation process. All compilation takes place in a controlled environment prior to distribution to the vessel. In the case of the SENC format developed by C-MAP, the data is encrypted and highly compressed which is a great cost saving advantage when data is transferred via satellite communications.

If you have CM93 v2 installed with OpenCPN,you could easily copy the screens and convert to .kap format.
The obvious big advantage for the vendors and major disadvantage for the users is that there is no standard "SENC". Once you start with one system you have to go on or throw the invested chart money down the gutter.
"Acedude" can't use his charts on any other system than the original vendors system.
A very good argument indeed to insist on "pure" S57 charts, that can be transformed to SENC:s on different systems.

The alternative is to suggest to the vendors that they adopt OpenCPN:s SENC format

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01   #21
Marine Service Provider

Thomas....

indeed....

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 18:35   #22

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: Making Charts

I have just added the procedure for creating a KAP chart using OpenCPN and GE2KAP on my website at http://yachtvalhalla.net/navigation/googleearth.htm

Jump to the 3 Aug 2011 entry.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:20   #23

Boat: 29'

Wow,Valhalla,that's a lot of good work there!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 17:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Wow,Valhalla,that's a lot of good work there!
Thanks for that BUT ... I've decided not to use the GE/KAP charts anymore, unless I have not used GERoute to save GE caches for an area of interest.

I like having both the GE image (using the GE plugin) and the chart displayed on the split-screen, with position shown on both, as the way to go. The procedure for this is at the 3 Aug 11 update on the same page: http://yachtvalhalla.net/navigation/googleearth.htm

Terry
Old 08-08-2011, 17:50   #25

Whatever,they're all excellent tips! per Google Earth caching, et al.But I too love Nohal's GE Plugin especially in combo with the cache...
Old 08-08-2011, 22:46   #26

Boat: Bavaria 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
I have just added the procedure for creating a KAP chart using OpenCPN and GE2KAP on my website at http://yachtvalhalla.net/navigation/googleearth.htm
Hi Terry,

Just to make sure I understand, this requires a GE file as input, not a simple image?
Old 08-08-2011, 23:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelmercier View Post
Hi Terry,

Just to make sure I understand, this requires a GE file as input, not a simple image?
I've been using GE2KAP with GE displaying the view I want to capture as a KAP chart. It will also work with images but I haven't done that.

Download the 'ReadMe' from GE2KAP. Don't think Paul will mind

Terry
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08   #28

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

I have some charts (KAP filles) and I want to edit the borders(plys). The person who created them was a little sloppy and was using a nav package that didn't quilt. I tried editing the plys with notepad but the resulting file was unreadable.

I don't want to use bsb2tiff and start all over.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:43   #29

Boat: Phantom 19

David...
Suggestion 1: Get a better editor able to edit binary files - notepad is notorious with breaking the files, especially if they contain binary data - all the KAPs do
After you do 1,
Suggestion 2: Run bsbfix on the resulting file

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:34   #30

Chart Makers will love this...
A Basic Raster Image GeoMetaData Extractor/Viewer

works on kaps and much else...

Tags